• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

BEER, Reviews and Opinions

jtallen83

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my favorite quotes from a now deceased chef.

For their own good, vegetarians should never be allowed near fine beers and ales. It will only make them loud and belligerent, and they lack the physical strength and aggressive nature to back up any drunken assertions.”

2 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

New Belgium Voodoo Ranger Juicy Haze IPA. Really pretty close to those Tree House and Pseudo Sue IPA's, close. Real juicy, a little fruity up front but a nice hop bite to finish. pretty good for something in a nation wide distribution stream!

IMG_0645.thumb.jpg.b2bb94db16538a71a12a21eb24c8c83d.jpg

Definitely good for a readily available beer! 

I had this saturday night, it was one that I lost on my way home last year with my cooler, my buddy in LA was nice enough to send me one 

boozy on the front mellowing into a spicy hot chocolate finish 

ABC3F1ED-F427-42CA-BCD7-233BE41840D7.jpeg

JT here’s one to look for too, they’re outta ST Louis, if you see any of there stouts from this “series” they’re all very good! 

Schlafly brewing from the ibex cellar, imperial coffee stout. Touch of sweetness with tons of coffee and a boot with the imperial, smooth as silk! 

4FD5B9DB-4C55-4B7F-B0D5-4DC2BB395FF6.jpeg

8 hours ago, shepp said:

JT here’s one to look for too, they’re outta ST Louis, if you see any of there stouts from this “series” they’re all very good! 

I'll be looking for it for sure. Heading to a new job in southeast Missouri on Monday morning so it will be somewhat local for me there.

4 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Amazes me how these guys get all that coffee flavor infused into a beer. Not decaffeinated either!

I made a Chicago run today with a buddy

velvet coffee ground barrel aged coffee stout. Little boozy heat on the front then a TON OF COFFEE, with a slight coconut finish, was it was super good 

89E2F47D-2525-4D34-80C5-FE3AEF2095EA.jpeg

Still looking for that note. Heard of a few described that way but haven't found one yet. Not going to Chicago for it though, don't want it quite that bad......maybe they have it in the airport, stuck there all the time!

I got a coconut porter in the fridge  I’ll send you 

13 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Still looking for that note. Heard of a few described that way but haven't found one yet. Not going to Chicago for it though, don't want it quite that bad......maybe they have it in the airport, stuck there all the time!

Actually if you’re ever stuck at ohare for a length of time, their brewery is just north of the airport 

65A4A6A8-2A53-442D-8045-A419B4BFF7A4.png

• 3 weeks later...

LIL'HELPER Midwest Coast India Pale Ale from Mothers Brewing Co. in Springfield, MO. Really just an average IPA, a bit dank in finish, a little fruity up front in taste and aroma. The only somewhat local craft brew in over an hour drive in any direction from me! This area is a wasteland compared to Asheville! Gonna have to bring a few cases from home if I am going to have a nightly brew............

IMG_0783.thumb.JPG.94ffd06b0b58c9161d3fb5eff6197866.JPG

On 8/25/2018 at 8:33 PM, shepp said:

Schlafly brewing from the ibex cellar, imperial coffee stout. Touch of sweetness with tons of coffee and a boot with the imperial, smooth as silk! 

4FD5B9DB-4C55-4B7F-B0D5-4DC2BB395FF6.jpeg

Damn, I LOVE coffee stouts! You should bring one of those to the fall shoot for me Shepp!

Tip The Cow Cocoa Espresso Milk Stout from Single Speed Brewing of Waterloo, Iowa. The description on the can mentions a chocolate covered espresso bean and they pretty much nailed that flavor. Very chocolaty up front then a nice smooth coffee flavor. Creamy goodness!

mmmm I like coffee... I'll show you guys my beer if I can get the wife to bring me another. lol.

Juiced Moose IPA from a collaboration of Warped Roots/Toppling Goliath, brewed in Verona, WI, maybe as some say it is Decorha Iowa. Hazy, hoppy, juicy goodness! Very little aroma, malty and bready.  A very smooth mango up front blending to the pineapple grapefruit with the hops finishing in a moderate bitterness. Great balance, makes me want to take long and large swallows. I will be getting a few six packs to bring to the wasteland that is Van Buren.

IMG_0818.thumb.jpg.cfdc66d3aedc4f463b0a94ab51f63e10.jpg

45 minutes ago, shepp said:

I’ll have to keep an eye out for that IDT I’ve seen it

Lady at the store said it was exclusive to HyVee stores but their web site doesn't say that. Picked up a Chameleon from the Warped series, purple, interesting approach with the different colors using different hops.

https://iowabeerblog.blogspot.com/2018/08/toppling-goliath-releases-new-beer.html