• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New fella from Montana

leadtag101

Howdy everyone, cool website just found while researching AR10 online! 

Just started my first AR10 build yesterday online with PSA for a semi long range hunting gun 100 to 600 yards.

Bought a PSA lower with standard A2 Solid stock with enhanced polished trigger (one day may be swapped out)

I ended up buying a 18" 7.62×51 CHF FN upper receiver on a whim without any research.

Do any of you folks have any idea if the barrel on this thing could be accurate enough for the yardage described. Just curious.  Figured if it was a FN barrel that it might be accurate enough. 

And I purchased  a Burris 4-16×50 Eliminator III with pressure  switch activation to go with it.

Anyways thanks for any thoughts on my build.

I love Montana. Some of the nicest people I’ve ever met. Kalispell is still on my list of retirement cities  

That FN barrel should be MOA, or damn near close. If you do your part, on your end, the gun should perform out to the distance you posted. The .308 round doesn’t start getting picky about specialty parts till you try to stretch past 600. 

Get yourself a decent trigger, stock assembly and a muzzle brake, you should be fine after that. 

Welcome from Wisconsin. Congrats on the build. Start running triathalons and serious weight training if you are going to be humping that Eliminator 3 on top of your 308AR through those Montana mountains. At 3.3 pounds, that scope is a load! I had an earlier eliminator and sold it as it was too heavy and destroyed the balance of my AR10T carbine, and I found with practice with a simple BDC reticle I could do as well.

Out to 600 yards you will be fine with that 18 inch barrel,  especially if it is a 1x10 twist, and you are using bullets in the 168-175 grain range.

With all due respect I would take the time to practice distance shooting without electronic assistance, as batteries fail at the wrong time. Having the built in laser range finder is nice, though, I miss that.

24 minutes ago, Robocop1051 said:

I love Montana. Some of the nicest people I’ve ever met. Kalispell is still on my list of retirement cities  

That FN barrel should be MOA, or damn near close. If you do your part, on your end, the gun should perform out to the distance you posted. The .308 round doesn’t start getting picky about specialty parts till you try to stretch past 600. 

Get yourself a decent trigger, stock assembly and a muzzle brake, you should be fine after that. 

Thanks for the helpful insight Robocop! I Was born and raised in Kalispell. Love the Flathead There is a lot of gun industry up there. There's like two gun ranges within 14 miles of Kalispell as well.

Edited by leadtag101

23 minutes ago, Sisco said:

Welcome from Wisconsin. Congrats on the build. Start running triathalons and serious weight training if you are going to be humping that Eliminator 3 on top of your 308AR through those Montana mountains. At 3.3 pounds, that scope is a load! I had an earlier eliminator and sold it as it was too heavy and destroyed the balance of my AR10T carbine, and I found with practice with a simple BDC reticle I could do as well.

Out to 600 yards you will be fine with that 18 inch barrel,  especially if it is a 1x10 twist, and you are using bullets in the 168-175 grain range.

With all due respect I would take the time to practice distance shooting without electronic assistance, as batteries fail at the wrong time. Having the built in laser range finder is nice, though, I miss that.

Thanks for the welcome,  Yeah I know it's heavy lol But when you're factoring in the fact that you don't have to  Pack a rangefinder with you as well It balances out for me anyway. This is my 2nd one actually as I sold my last 1 because I needed the money at the timeBut just re bought it with the remote switch instead which will be handier .If it goes down on me I'll just pull it off and go to battle sights.

I shot NRA high-power for years and in  an emergency can use my open sights fairly well.

I actually made some pretty fast calculations with that scope that if I had used a handheld rangfinder then had to dial In I definitely would have lost time and the opportunity to shoot when I needed to immediately. And lost the Critter I was shooting at.

Yeah the scope has trade-offs all right but it is handier than hell especially with its built-in inclinometer 

1 hour ago, leadtag101 said:

Thanks for the welcome,  Yeah I know it's heavy lol But when you're factoring in the fact that you don't have to  Pack a rangefinder with you as well It balances out for me anyway. This is my 2nd one actually as I sold my last 1 because I needed the money at the timeBut just re bought it with the remote switch instead which will be handier .If it goes down on me I'll just pull it off and go to battle sights.

I shot NRA high-power for years and in  an emergency can use my open sights fairly well.

I actually made some pretty fast calculations with that scope that if I had used a handheld rangfinder then had to dial In I definitely would have lost time and the opportunity to shoot when I needed to immediately. And lost the Critter I was shooting at.

Yeah the scope has trade-offs all right but it is handier than hell especially with its built-in inclinometer 

Sounds like you went in,with your eyes open. Should enjoy it.:thumbup: Electronics are great as long as we don’t see them as a replacement for training and practice.

3 hours ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

Welcome from Texas.  

Others may correct me, but I'm not sure that a PSA lower will play nice with your upper.  Many 308AR lowers are notorious for being proprietary and not working with other branded uppers.  The PA10 is one of those in many cases.

Hey Armed, sorry I guess I didn't specify that my Gen 2 Upper with FN barrel was made by PA as is my lower, specs are as follows of my Upper:

PSA GEN2 PA10 18" RIFLE-LENGTH 7.62 NATO 1:12 CHF 15" LIGHTWEIGHT M-LOK UPPER WITH BCG AND CH - 5165448933

IN STOCK

$ 929.99

$ 599.99

Qty:ADD TO CART

FREE SHIPPING Free Shipping applies to this item only and not the entire order.

SKU: 5165448933
UPC: 5165448933
MFR#: 5165448933

Barrel Length: 18"
Gas System: Rifle-Length
Barrel Profile: Heavy
Barrel Steel: Cold Hammer Forged Steel
Barrel Finish: Phosphate
Chrome Lining: Extra Thick
Muzzle Thread: 5/8-24
Chamber: 7.62 NATO
Twist Rate: 1:12
Barrel Extension: M4-style
Diameter at Gas Block: .750
Gas Block Type: Low-profile gas block
Muzzle Device: A2 Style Flash Hider
Receiver Material: Forged 7075 T6
Receiver Type: PA10 Gen2
Handguard Type: PSA 15" Lightweight M-Lok Free Float Rail 
Bolt Carrier Group Included: Yes
Charging Handle Included: Yes

Barrel: A proprietary blend of Hammer forged chrome molly vanadium made by FN that is referred to as "Machine Gun Steel" by virtue of its required use in FN's M249 and M240 weapons. The hammer forging process work hardens the steel, making it more durable. In addition, the chrome process for the bore allows for a lining almost twice as thick as a standard M16 for enhanced durability. Chambered in 7.62 NATO, with a 1/12 twist, M4 barrel extension, and a Rifle-length gas system. This 18" heavy profile barrel is Mil-spec phosphate coated, High Pressure tested and Magnetic Particle inspected. The barrel is finished off with a 15" PSA Lightweight M-Lok free float rail and an A2 flash hider.

Upper: Precision machined from forged 7075-T6 aluminum, then Black anodize hardcoated to MIL-8625 Type 3 class 2.   

Bolt Carrier Group: 9310 steel bolt assembly, nitride treated for durability.  8620 carrier, nitride treated, with a nitride treated gas key properly staked with grade 8 fasteners.  Charging handle is also included

Edited by leadtag101

2 hours ago, GRA said:

Welcome from Gulf Coast Texas.  Watch your wallet and enjoy your time here.  ?

Lol,Yeah my wife's going to kick my @$$ if she finds out how much money I've spent on my Discover card in the last day or so, luckily I've got lots of overtime coming up from September on,  in the machine shop where I work?

Edited by leadtag101

19 minutes ago, leadtag101 said:

Lol,Yeah my wife's going to kick my @$$ if she finds out how much money I've spent on my Discover card in the last day or so, luckily I've got lots of overtime coming up from September on,  in the machine shop where I work?

Only happens to the very best of us ... :laffs:

9 hours ago, leadtag101 said:

Thanks everyone for the welcome! Forgot to add that that Barrel is a 1 in 12 twist.

Stay away from the heavy stuff now. Try your loads with 150gr and see how they perform. I recently replaced all my hunting ammo with Hornady 150gr. That shit has taken everything I can find in California. The heavy loads won’t get stabilized we’ll enough for your super long distance.

the big bonus... if you hand load... Sabots!!! drop a 77gr or 90gr .224 cal inside a .30cal sabot... +4K FPS of fur disintegration.  Just sayin. 

18 hours ago, Hey-Who said:

I also purchased a PA-10 Lower Gen II a few months ago and luckily it works with different Upper that are Not PSA products.

I just went through this with a PSA large-frame complete upper receiver that I was fixing for a member here. It WOULD NOT match up with an Aero Precision lower receiver.

Please list all the different uppers that worked with your PSA Gen 2 lower, because I've found that their uppers and lowers are not compatible with other receivers...

I'm looking forward to your feedback.

19 hours ago, Hey-Who said:

I also purchased a PA-10 Lower Gen II a few months ago and luckily it works with different Upper that are Not PSA products. I have seen and heard the PA-10 Lowers Gen I, not very "friendly". I was lucky, got the PA-10 Lower on sale a while back for well less than $200

Correct gen 1 sucked ass it’s been stated here a lot. But they’ve seem to have got their shit together with the gen 2 stuff, you’ve seem to done some reading, necroing year plus old threads so I’d assume you saw the pluses of gen 2 also.

welcome to the forum feel free to tell us about your self in the intro section! 

PS I really hope you didn’t come here to burn PSA, cuz you’re just wasting your time......... and mine

Edited by shepp

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2018 at 11:08 PM, shepp said:

Correct gen 1 sucked ass it’s been stated here a lot. But they’ve seem to have got their poop together with the gen 2 stuff, you’ve seem to done some reading, necroing year plus old threads so I’d assume you saw the pluses of gen 2 also.

welcome to the forum feel free to tell us about your self in the intro section! 

PS I really hope you didn’t come here to burn PSA, cuz you’re just wasting your time......... and mine

Nope, not at all to burn anyone or anything. just saw the topic and I didn't actually realize it was so old...pretty new to the site. I am actually happy with the Gen II so far, no problems, shoots well.