• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Hi.

UnofficialReality

Hello forum,

Just wanted to say hello. I have been lurking for a bit now and have found some good info relative to my new purchase.  I have ordered a PA10 upper ( 15" MLOK / 20" SS riflelength ) and lower (ACS-L w/ overmolded/standard FCG).  I will be installing an adjustable single-stage Jard TASS/ACT trigger w/ speedhammer swapped from my AR-15 (Not an AR-10/AR.308 specific trigger).  I will be running KNS dogbone pins.  I will be running a BADASS (if I can find it) and have ordered a Radian Raptor-LT ambi-CH.  ACS-L will be coming off and a farkled CTR will be going on.  I've also ordered a budget friendly SSALT mount/Vortex Diamondback 4x12-40 setup.  I have 5 different types of ammo to try thus far once I get it all together...still waiting on the muzzle device I ordered (Precision Armament M4-72) along with some misc MLOK stuff and indexing washers and pmags.  I am curious to see how this rifle cycles and whether I'll need to play with the gas system/buffer/spring.  I look forward to learning from the great info here.

So has anyone here ever tried an adjustable trigger like the Jard I mentioned?

Mylower.jpg

Myupper.jpg

MyTrigger.JPG

I've got a Jard 2lb trigger in a 20" AR15 heavy-barreled precision gun.  It's a good trigger, but there are alot more triggers out there now that will outperform it. I bought mine a long time ago, and it was good then - but you have more options now.

2 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

I've got a Jard 2lb trigger in a 20" AR15 heavy-barreled precision gun.  It's a good trigger, but there are alot more triggers out there now that will outperform it. I bought mine a long time ago, and it was good then - but you have more options now.

I hear you.  I am assuming it is an adjustable trigger?  I also bought this trigger years ago when I was setting up a 15-22 w/Slidefire for giggles.  Because of the light recoil I ended up getting the 1.5lb trigger (overkill) so I didn't have to run expensive hyper-velocity and could stick with common 36gr hollow points.

Can a trigger be too light?  I'm thinking a 1.5lb single stage might be a bit much for a PA10.  Guess I'll see soon enough.

• 2 weeks later...

Well a quick update gentlemen:  I have taken the rifle twice to the range just to zero the scope and try a few different cartridges ranging from 150-180gr and verify the functionality of the rifle.  I shot the following:

Remington 150gr core lokt psp

Federal power shok 150gr sp

Winchester 150gr xp

Federal 168gr gmsmk

Hornady 168gr eld match

Winchester 180gr superx pp

Federal power shok 180gr sp

I also ordered some 147gr fmjbt pmc bronze because it was cheap brass...still waiting on that to ship.  I wonder how well the brass will work for reloading and have been eyeballing Winchester brass pretty hard...

Everything ran pretty well imo (10 round p-mags).  I had one hiccup with the 150 fed where it failed to extract.  I chalked that up to an anomaly.  I had no issues with bcg contact on the lower receiver.  I did add two quarters to the buffer tube to take up some of the excess distance between the bolt catch and the bolt face.  Was that necessary?  The ejection of the brass is about 1:30 or so consistently.  The gas tube does not come to the centerline of the cam cutout but the rifle functions fine.  I assume the tube is making contact under the handguard (?) but haven't verified. I would prefer not to have to monkey with the gas/buffer systems if I can avoid it and would be curious to hear what others think.  I know some will say to get an adjustable gas lock and have a couple bookmarked but at this time don't want to buy it if I can help it.

My "break-in procedure" was just to inspect the rifle/the bcg and lube it...all looked well enough.  I also ran a bore snake through the barrel a few times before my first session although it really didn't seem necessary.  I did not clean the barrel in between shots or anything.  Upon inspection/cleaning after 2nd session I did find that the bolt catch paddle was making contact with the upper edge of the cutout on the upper receiver and have decided to just file away a bit of material at that contact point.  I am by no means a great shot (relative noob to many here I am sure) but have been happy with the accuracy thus far with all ammo types.  With a budget 4-12x/40mm Vortex scope in a swfa mount, a cheap caldwell 7-rest, and a light single stage trigger shooting the smk/eld in particular (duh) I managed decent groups.  I have no doubt I can shrink the size of groups with more trigger time, reloads, and paying better attention to fundamentals but for occasional deer and paper punching she will work well.  In this pic my vertical spread is like .6"something and horizontal is 1.24" 

I plan on trying to work up some reloads soon...I have a few different types of brass, primers, and for now will have some 168gr and 150gr projectiles to give a whirl.  I plan on using imr 3031 and probably varget.  Thoughts?

PA10_308.jpg

20180906_143258.jpg

20180906_193826.jpg

4 hours ago, UnofficialReality said:

wow not one reply

The scope mount in your pics is actually backwards, man.  For most modern scopes on ARs now, especially with adjustable-length buttstocks, you position the end of the scope near the end if the upper receiver, to gain proper checkweld, head position on the stock, and also get the eye relief that the scope was designed for.

Another group. .866 from 168gr fgmm smk ///?

I ended up canceling the pmc order and ordered/received some starline brass...have imr 3031 and varget with 3 different primers and 3 different bullets to play with.  I might pick up some imr 4064 too but we'll see.  And yes haha I did have the mount backwards because I was convinced that I needed it that way for proper eye relief.  I have since swapped the orientation and offset the scope the farthest rearwards I can and it seems gtg.  I see guys mount way forward and don't see how they can do that but I guess they shoot with their nose off their charging handle unlike myself.

So I still have unanswered questions above gentlemen.  Anyone chime in or?  I'd appreciate it...I am a relative newbie.  I am not finding much for the 3031 as far as load data.  Maybe I should just stick to the varget? 

PSA_3.thumb.jpg.db34b66350ac32da174f820278c3ac39.jpg

On 9/8/2018 at 7:41 AM, mrmackc said:

What distance were you shooting?

Have you ever used IMR 3064 for 168 grain bullets in the 7.62x51?

100 yards.  And no I haven't tried any imr 4064 at all yet.  I am going to try to work up some loads with some hornady bullets (150/165/168 grains) in starline brass with either cci 200, br-2, or winchester primers with either the 3031 or varget powders.  Just got the brass today so I am excited.

20180912_234636.jpg

20180912_234652.jpg

On 9/7/2018 at 11:52 PM, 98Z5V said:

The scope mount in your pics is actually backwards, man.  For most modern scopes on ARs now, especially with adjustable-length buttstocks, you position the end of the scope near the end if the upper receiver, to gain proper checkweld, head position on the stock, and also get the eye relief that the scope was designed for.

But then what about length of pull?  If I am running the stock out all the way and my eye relief window is such that I have to have the optic that specific amount from my eye putting the optic so far forward seems...odd.  As it is now I had to offset the scope in the mount the most rearward that it would go and it is still about an inch further away than it was before even with the mount as rearward as I can go.  My understanding is that when you have the rifle shouldered (low ready) and bring it up to fire you want to be able to repeatedly swing it up into eye relief and not have to hunt for your sight picture.  No?

Also I asked above about the Jard trigger you ran...was it the adjustable?  If it was did you find it finicky/fiddly to adjust?  I would be curious to hear more about the process you went through to set the trigger up.

42 minutes ago, UnofficialReality said:

Yeah I figured.  I've read good things about it...  I have also read that the varget and the 4064 are very similar in their performance.  Could you tell me more about your .308 loads?

A few years ago I quit reloading altogether and since retirement I now shoot mostly M80 in the LR308 and I shoot 168 gn Federal match in the NM M1A. I shoot mostly military surplus in the .223 Mini 14.