• Visit Sportsmans Guide

2018 Fall Shoot Documentation Thread

Matt.Cross

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Dane Armory said:

The Toolbox Playmate cooler is mine along with a blue chair and a canopy. I left it behind in fear of several drops of rain which didn’t happen until I got home late at night.

I have bad news, brother.  I have the cooler, and I have the chair...  the canopy got MASHED with wind, and almost killed Shepp when it went over. It was wasted, seriously. I brought back the pieces, but all the legs were bent - literally - sideways, when a wind burst grabbed it.  It's a goner... 

8 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

I have bad news, brother.  I have the cooler, and I have the chair...  the canopy got MASHED with wind, and almost killed Shepp when it went over. It was wasted, seriously. I brought back the pieces, but all the legs were bent - literally - sideways, when a wind burst grabbed it.  It's a goner... 

Oh well we got 5-6 years out of it . Wally World has another just like it .

We couldn't collapse it, because the legs were bent so bad.  We had to take the legs off with the recip-saw,just to fold that thing up. The expanding canopy part of it is back in the bag, waiting for you.  It loves you, and wants to come home to MikeDaddy...   :banana:

On 10/26/2018 at 10:47 PM, shepp said:

We’re in business, got home 45 min ago 

Just caught something I've never mentioned before, but it's important.  Breathing, and breaking the shot...

In the beginning of this vid, I'm wiggling around, moving body position - I'm setting my Natural Point of Aim (NPOA).  That's for a later discussion...

There's 3 shots in this vid.  First shot, Slo-Mo shot, and 3rd shot.  You can't see shiit for breathing in the SLO-MO shot, so on to the other two.  In the first shot, you can see me take in a sharp breath, settle, and shoot. In the 3rd shot, it's more clear what I'm doing...  I take in 3 sharp, deep breaths, settle, and fire.

You never fire while you're breathing, just don't do it. Your groups will look like a shotgun pattern.  You always do the exact same thing, every time you break a shot - that's where consistency comes from.  Have a plan, and stick to your plan - do the same thing, every time.  So, you never break a shot while breathing - you always - ALWAYS - break the shot during a "natural resiratory pause."  Full exhale, rest, break the shot.  In a high(er) stress situation, you can "fake out" your brain, and your system.  Take in a series of sharp,deep breaths, THEN fully exhale, and pause...  In a way, it's "hyperventilating" your system.  You breath in (sharp, deep breath) hard enough to expand your stomach - yeah, you breath in THAT deep.  That's full expansion of the solar plexus, full expansion and intake on the lungs, blow it out hard...  If you take in sharp, deep breaths, overload your system with "an intake" of air, you can expand your natural respiratory pause to 7 seconds.  That's about the max of it.  Even if you do this, after that 7 seconds, your brain is telling your body to take a breath, YOU are holding it, trying to make a shot - and you start shaking...  There's nothing you can do about that, it just happens.  That time to break the shot is even less if you do not overload your system, and take in those sharp, deep breaths.  You max it out, and suck it in, and you just bought yourself 7 seconds to break the shot, before your brain starts fucking with the rest of your body - and you miss...

This is VERY important for making multiple shots (and hits). It's critical.  You load up your system by breathing deep, and you can make several shots in that 7-second period...

Off my :soap: now.  Try it out at home, you'll see.   :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

8 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Just caught something I've never mentioned before, but it's important.  Breathing, and breaking the shot...

In the beginning of this vid, I'm wiggling around, moving body position - I'm setting my Natural Point of Aim (NPOA).  That's for a later discussion...

There's 3 shots in this vid.  First shot, Slo-Mo shot, and 3rd shot.  You can't see shiit for breathing in the SLO-MO shot, so on to the other two.  In the first shot, you can see me take in a sharp breath, settle, and shoot. In the 3rd shot, it's more clear what I'm doing...  I take in 3 sharp, deep breaths, settle, and fire.

You never fire while you're breathing, just don't do it. Your groups will look like a shotgun pattern.  You always do the exact same thing, every time you break a shot - that's where consistency comes from.  Have a plan, and stick to your plan - do the same thing, every time.  So, you never break a shot while breathing - you always - ALWAYS - break the shot during a "natural resiratory pause."  Full exhale, rest, break the shot.  In a high(er) stress situation, you can "fake out" your brain, and your system.  Take in a series of sharp,deep breaths, THEN fully exhale, and pause...  In a way, it's "hyperventilating" your system.  You breath in (sharp, deep breath) hard enough to expand your stomach - yeah, you breath in THAT deep.  That's full expansion of the solar plexus, full expansion and intake on the lungs, blow it out hard...  If you take in sharp, deep breaths, overload your system with "an intake" of air, you can expand your natural respiratory pause to 7 seconds.  That's about the max of it.  Even if you do this, after that 7 seconds, your brain is telling your body to take a breath, YOU are holding it, trying to make a shot - and you start shaking...  There's nothing you can do about that, it just happens.  That time to break the shot is even less if you do not overload your system, and take in those sharp, deep breaths.  You max it out, and suck it in, and you just bought yourself 7 seconds to break the shot, before your brain starts fucking with the rest of your body - and you miss...

This is VERY important for making multiple shots (and hits). It's critical.  You load up your system by breathing deep, and you can make several shots in that 7-second period...

And between heartbeats if possible, not significant at close range but really makes a big difference at significant distance.

55 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

I never thought about that but I should still have the complete unedited version of the slow mo I’ll upload it this week and maybe you can pick up your breathing in it, I edited it just cuz it was a lot of slow before the shot

Worked for me back in the day I could get a full 8 rounds out of my M1 in those 7 seconds and  had already shot a clip and 2 rounds and reloaded  8 more, with the first seven seconds, breathed 3 big breaths aimed and fired the next eight, usually scoreing 48 to 50 points in the old USMC 200 yd. rapid fire target. After those first 2 weeks at MCRD rifle range training, it still works 58 years later. Once learned it sticks. I just don't get to practice as much as I would like to.

23 hours ago, shepp said:

I never thought about that but I should still have the complete unedited version of the slow mo I’ll upload it this week and maybe you can pick up your breathing in it, I edited it just cuz it was a lot of slow before the shot

An easy way to test this out is dry-fire training.  Lay down behind the gun, in your living room.  Stick your phone out there in front of you with a stopwatch on the screen, so you can watch it.  DON'T breathe deep, just full exhale, and watch that stopwatch tick away...  Maintain the position, without breathing in - just hold it out...  and see how long it takes before you start shaking in the sight...   Then, do the deep breaths, and watch that time go up before you start shaking...   Intentional Hyperventilation...  :thumbup:

11 hours ago, mrmackc said:

Worked for me back in the day I could get a full 8 rounds out of my M1 in those 7 seconds and  had already shot a clip and 2 rounds and reloaded  8 more, with the first seven seconds, breathed 3 big breaths aimed and fired the next eight, usually scoreing 48 to 50 points in the old USMC 200 yd. rapid fire target. After those first 2 weeks at MCRD rifle range training, it still works 58 years later. Once learned it sticks. I just don't get to practice as much as I would like to.

Yep, tried and true.  It's been a part of training the the better part of a century.  :thumbup::hail:

Edited by 98Z5V

It's also one of the keys to the 'simultaneous firing' exercise, it gives you a rock-solid POA, a lower heart rate, and the focus to tune in to that initial shot and break your own shot immediately. If your breathing and focus aren't controlled, your reaction is likely to be a flinch that pulls your shot off target, or a delayed shot that may be ineffective.