• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Experienced shooter but new to the AR platform

John K

Hi all-

Being new to the AR platform I'm asking for input or a reference to any former post concerning a failure for the bolt to stay open on an empty magazine.

I have an Armalite AR10 (B) Target.  Purchased new in 2013 but not shot until last week.  :embarrassed:  I was doing the prescribed Armalite barrel break in and noticed that the bolt would not stay open on an empty magazine.  After the break in I thoroughly cleaned and oiled the weapon but still have the same issue.  I've cycled several different brands of ammo (Federal, Remington and Hornady) and am using the factory Armalite 10 round magazines.  The bolt will lock open if I firmly depress the lower portion of the bolt release button to engage it.

Thanks for reading.  Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

Welcome from Iowa, via Missouri!

How many rounds fired? Did you use lots of lube on the BCG? I have heard of the the target models sometimes taking a few more rounds to start functioning properly but the statement about pressing harder on the bolt catch to make it engage sounds odd. Does the catch feel sticky or rough anywhere along the travel?

5 hours ago, John K said:

Hi all-

Being new to the AR platform I'm asking for input or a reference to any former post concerning a failure for the bolt to stay open on an empty magazine.

I have an Armalite AR10 (B) Target.  Purchased new in 2013 but not shot until last week.

Complete factory rifle, from Armalite?  Or was this built/put together with parts?  Lube, too, and about a gallon of it, on a new .308AR gun.

Thanks for the reply.  Greetings from the not so gun friendly state of Maryland. 

Each trip to the range I fired 40 rounds so that's 80 rounds total.

In retrospect I probably didn't use enough lube during the barrel break in.  Definitely used more during the second trip to the range.

The bolt catch feels pretty smooth despite the "pressing harder" issue I mentioned and I have oiled it well after that first range trip.   

8 minutes ago, John K said:

Hi 98Z5V.  Except for a Magpul adjustable stock, Nightforce scope and an Atlas bipod the rifle is a 100% Armalite factory built original.  No mods or aftermarket parts.

Do you have a recommended lube?  Break Free CLP, Ballistol...      

Thanks!

From commercially available lube, I'd say M-Pro 7.  It is excellent. 

As a factory rifle, from that manufacturer, I really don't need to tell you to look at the recoil system, because that's not an issue here.  Not with them.  I'd have to lean on the lube side of the house on this, and the total round count through the gun.  Shoot it more, and lube the hell out of it.  Like, damn near dripping wet, but not quite.  No lube in the chamber, though, or the barrel - don't need it there.

John, Probably not the issue, but are you using more then one magazine? If not, it could be a magazine issue. The good news is that as an Armalite, you have a warranty, and they used to have decent customer service. I would give them a call. I am sure they have probably seen it before. I have two AR10 B models and one is an AR10T and I love em both.

Edited by Sisco

Thanks for all the input guys.  I will order some of the Anti Venom and send more lead down range.  It's a tough job but someone's got to do it :laffs:

I didn't notice any strange wear patterns on the BCG and I did try both of the magazines that came with the rifle.  There was no change in performance. 

I do love the rifle.  During the break in it was busting clays at 300 yards.

Many thanks,

john

John. What part of the communist state of Maryland are you from? I've got multiple AR-10 "B' rifles. Mine work just fine. Though....I did notice some odd performance with "factory" 10 round mags in the past. I've got plenty of original 20 rounders that we're not allowed to buy in this state any longer. Have you tried a plain jane 20 round mag in the rifle? If not, we can probably hook up to test your rifle with some to see if there's a difference.

Oh.....and welcome from Maryland my man.

Well kind people, the mystery the bolt not locking open has been solved. I received a return call from Garrett at Armalite this afternoon.  He patiently and methodically worked through it.  He determined that the magazines were correct and the bolt catch was the correct generation.  He then asked me to back out the screw that was holding the Magpul PRS stock on about .5", insert an empty magazine and pull the charging handle back.  Low and behold the bolt locked open.  The screw holding the stock on was simply too long and it prevented the buffer from fully retracting thus preventing the BCG from moving rearward enough to be caught by the bolt catch.  Problem fixed with a shorter screw!

I cant say enough good things about Garrett and Armalite. He gave me his cell# and asked me to text him pictures of the magazine and the bolt catch so he could verify that they were correct.  He said that there was a slight possibility of incompatible parts due to generation changes around the time my rifle was manufactured. 

A good company with great people working for them will always result in a top notch product.

Thanks again to everyone that chimed in on this one.  

3 hours ago, John K said:

He then asked me to back out the screw that was holding the Magpul PRS stock on about .5", insert an empty magazine and pull the charging handle back.  Low and behold the bolt locked open.  The screw holding the stock on was simply too long and it prevented the buffer from fully retracting thus preventing the BCG from moving rearward enough to be caught by the bolt catch.  Problem fixed with a shorter screw!

Damn.  A2 buttstock screw in an A1-lengthed stock.  That would have taken me forever to figure out here...   Big Props on the quick diag from them...  :thumbup: