• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Why did Law Enforcement carry wheel guns instead of 1911s?

JF89

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

GI Issue 1911s were only made to shoot 230gr Ball ammo, nothing else - and the feedramps were only for that fatass ball round. 

10 minutes ago, sketch said:

GI's had big balls! nuff said.🍻

As per John By-God Moses Browning.   :hail:

On 4/30/2019 at 12:25 AM, JF89 said:

Most 1911s come tuned ready to run HP dont they?

They do now, that wasn't the case back in the 80's and earlier. It wasn't until IPSC became a big thing (late 80's) that gunsmiths started figuring out how to make them reliable with non ball ammo. It took several more years before the manufacturers started getting on board. Kimber was a game changer when they came out with their 1911!

On 4/29/2019 at 8:38 PM, Sisco said:

If I ever get a chance to sit down with you and buy you a couple of beers, I would like to hear it.

Make it a good Irish whiskey and you're on! Had to lay off beer (at least for a while😉) because of problems with my esophagus, but I HAVE lost 35 lbs. since I did!

On 4/29/2019 at 11:01 PM, 98Z5V said:

Feedramp angle, period.  We know that now. 

Feedramp angle had a bit to do with it but it was a lot more the bevel at the base of the barrel leading into the chamber. When they figured out that that bevel needed a lot of modification from milspec to feed hollowpoints a lot of 1911 barrels were fukkered up and became dangerous to even shoot from gun hack mods. A lot of problems with cases blowing out and sometimes literally blowing the magazines out of the gun and/or breaking the grips! NOT cool!

One of the biggest advancements was Bill Wilson and Jim Clark developing ramped 1911 barrels. HUGE game changer there, those things solved a lot of problems!

Edited by 392heminut

1 hour ago, 392heminut said:

Make it a good Irish whiskey and you're on! Had to lay off beer (at least for a while😉) because of problems with my esophagus, but I HAVE lost 35 lbs. since I did!

Have a similar problem. My pyloric valve no longer works to keep things from backing up. Mimics a heart attack. But under control now with Prilosec. Prefer Jameson’s or Bushmills any way.

Edited by Sisco

• 5 months later...
On 5/1/2019 at 12:28 PM, 392heminut said:

They do now, that wasn't the case back in the 80's and earlier. It wasn't until IPSC became a big thing (late 80's) that gunsmiths started figuring out how to make them reliable with non ball ammo. It took several more years before the manufacturers started getting on board. Kimber was a game changer when they came out with their 1911!

Interesting ... this was all before my time and really dont know a damn thing about this stuff. Thanks for the info.

• 1 year later...
On 2/26/2019 at 12:46 PM, Sisco said:

I remember an old 45 Long Colt service revolver a friend of my Dad had. Also Shot 45acp with half moon clips, but not very accurately or reliably. I always thought it was a good idea to stick with ammo designed for wheel guns in wheel guns. And stick with ammo designed for semi autos in semi autos.

I respectfully disagree, my go-to revolver is this 5" 625-2. I've run a lot of moon clips of .45 ACP through it since 1982, primarily for competition but also recreational shooting. With 200 gr LSWC handloads it makes me look like a better shooter than I really am...

18404031_1311702862200525_2572619193244804801_o.jpg

1 hour ago, Black_Sheep said:

I respectfully disagree, my go-to revolver is this 5" 625-2. I've run a lot of moon clips of .45 ACP through it since 1982, primarily for competition but also recreational shooting. With 200 gr LSWC handloads it makes me look like a better shooter than I really am...

18404031_1311702862200525_2572619193244804801_o.jpg

I'm sure that wheelgun has a bore sized for the standard .451 diameter 45 ACP bullets. The old revolvers chambered for 45 ACP almost always had bores sized for the .454 diameter of 45 Colt bullets. That .003  difference makes a big difference in accuracy!

1 hour ago, 392heminut said:

I'm sure that wheelgun has a bore sized for the standard .451 diameter 45 ACP bullets. The old revolvers chambered for 45 ACP almost always had bores sized for the .454 diameter of 45 Colt bullets. That .003  difference makes a big difference in accuracy!

Exactly. The friend of my Dad had a WW 2 service revolver which they manufactured because there weren’t enough 1911’s. Modern machining and tolerances make a difference.