• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New .308 - Mossberg MVP Scout

EugeneStoner

Just got it and I can't wait to get it to the range when it warms up a bit.  It came with one Magpul 10 cap mag and a sling w/hardware that I'm going to install after I post this.  I have not settled on optics yet.  I kind of like it with just the irons it comes with but we'll see.  I have a Primary Arms 1-6x w/ACSS reticle on one of my AR-10s and PA now has a 1-8x version of that optic that might be cool on this rifle.

https://www.mossberg.com/category/series/mvp-series/mvp-scout/

20190325_143320.jpg

20190325_143327.jpg

20190325_143308.jpg

21 minutes ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

Great rifle @EugeneStoner

Can't wait to hear how she shoots!

1 hour ago, colonelrhombus said:

i've read decent reviews about them.  i wanted one of the 5.56 versions at one time since they took AR mags.  have fun with it!

Thanks for the replies gents.  These rifles are inexpensive (I paid a little over $500 out the door) but do have decent reviews and the quality seems solid.  I also like the fact that it's American.

My Ruger GSR is my most favorite rifle to shoot. Especially suppressed. The MVP wasn’t available when I bought my GSR. I probably would’ve bought that rifle instead. I can’t complain too much. I picked my GSR up from a friend. I honestly don’t have more than about $300 invested in it. 

Im currently running a 2x pistol scope. Debated about going to a RDS... although I spotted a 1-4x pistol scope recently, and that seemed like a decent plan. Wished it was 2-7x. 

1 hour ago, Robocop1051 said:

My Ruger GSR is my most favorite rifle to shoot. Especially suppressed. The MVP wasn’t available when I bought my GSR. I probably would’ve bought that rifle instead. I can’t complain too much. I picked my GSR up from a friend. I honestly don’t have more than about $300 invested in it. 

Im currently running a 2x pistol scope. Debated about going to a RDS... although I spotted a 1-4x pistol scope recently, and that seemed like a decent plan. Wished it was 2-7x. 

It sounds like you owe it to yourself to get a new Scout rifle Robocop.  FYI, there is a scoped model of the MVP Scout that comes with a forward-mounted Vortex 2-7x optic with long eye relief (https://www.mossberg.com/product/mvp-scout-rifle-scoped-combo-27793/).  I went with irons-only model as I'm not sure I would like the forward mounted optic. I've also been wanting a lighter weight, stripped-down .308 with open sights only anyway.  A local gun dealer did give me a good idea of what the Vortex Scout 2-7x  would be like by demoing a pistol scope for me but I think I'm too accustomed to glass being mounted in the conventional rail position to adjust to anything different at this point.

We take one to Colorado as a back-up rifle.  We also bench it before each trip with 175 grain Barnes LRX bullets over 41 grains of Varget.  It shoots as good as or better than the guy holding it.  Easily holds 5 rounds to about an inch or a little less.  We have a 2-7 Leupold on ours, compact, simple and light set-up and ample power for big game.

It whops you a little bit at the bench with those heavy bullets but nothing you'd notice much in a hunting situation with heavy clothing on.  Overall a really nice rifle, I'm sure you'll be very pleased with it........Cliff

9 hours ago, Cliff R said:

We take one to Colorado as a back-up rifle.  We also bench it before each trip with 175 grain Barnes LRX bullets over 41 grains of Varget.  It shoots as good as or better than the guy holding it.  Easily holds 5 rounds to about an inch or a little less.  We have a 2-7 Leupold on ours, compact, simple and light set-up and ample power for big game.

It whops you a little bit at the bench with those heavy bullets but nothing you'd notice much in a hunting situation with heavy clothing on.  Overall a really nice rifle, I'm sure you'll be very pleased with it........Cliff

Thanks for the reply Cliff, glad to hear some more positive feedback on this rifle.  :thumbup:

On 3/26/2019 at 9:51 AM, Robocop1051 said:

I've had my eye on the Burris 2-7x32 Scout scope since I started exploring scout options for my Mini-14. I had a Simmons 2-6x pistol scope on it for awhile, and it wasn't bad. Pistol scopes just have such long eye relief that it really had to be mounted way out there...

9 hours ago, Cliff R said:

The older I get the more I'm tempted to use it as my primary rifle for the trips to Colorado, at 10,000-12,000' every ounce is like a pound when you are hiking in a couple of miles!.......CliffW

Though they are definitely heavier I have gotten attached to my AR-10s for hunting Whitetails in WI but elevation is only around 1200' (I've been logging walking distances of approx. 8 miles a day w/my pedometer)  .  If weight becomes a concern for whatever reason though I would have no problem with making the MVP my primary hunting rifle.   The bolt action may be a bit slower than a semi-auto for follow up shots but I don't consider this a major concern.  My Dad has repeatedly used his (POS) .303 British while hunting over the decades to demonstrate that a bolt gun can be operated both accurately and quickly.  He's like an old west gunfighter with it when it comes to bagging Whitetails.

Scout scopes are NOT the big deal to get used to if one thinks about it more like a set of iron or a red dot. Eezy peezy.

I have my FUR scouted, my 308AR scouted, and now an old 1891 Argentine Mauser (in 7.62X39mm) scouted. I traded my GSR on my 308AR,  and still have regret pains once in a while. I liked that rifle......ALOT. And I wish that I could scout my other AR15, but with fixed front and a carry handle, it wouldn't be too great to get done.

59 minutes ago, bubbas4570 said:

And I wish that I could scout my other AR15, but with fixed front and a carry handle, it wouldn't be too great to get done.

You can do it with a red dot - this is how we started, Army-wise, with red dots.  Aimpoint carry handle cantilever mount.  :hail:

s-l225.jpg

AP10174&QRPinst.jpg

Aimpoint-10174-3T.jpg

16 hours ago, EugeneStoner said:

I wonder why they aren't more popular (or at least don't seem to be)...

I think I think mostly they're not that popular because they are neither quite fish nor fowl, so to speak. They are the all-around type of rifle, not the tacticool, not the pure Target, and not the pure hunting, or pure anything type of rifle.

they were they were designed to accomplish many things, but not be the best of any one thing. And therefore I think a lot of persons just don't quite get it, or understand where they fit/or how they work in many repertoires.