• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Trapping Armadillos

Belt Fed

I have a serious problem with em, They have taken over a house trailer I own. it is covered in cypress and the boards go to the ground. they have busted water lines. I spent two full days crawling in the mud under a trailer with about two foot clearing replacing pex lines and fittings. it was a nightmare. They won't come out until night and you never know when that is. my dog hates em and lets me know when they are moving. 

I was completely not prepared for the armored suckers. So I stayed there and let the dog tell me when they were moving, sometimes 10 at night and sometimes three in the morning. all I had was a 177 cal pellet gun with me. I shot one twice and it still ran off. so the dog and me spent a few nights hunting them. I did have an AR15 with me but that was out of the question to use. I finally figured out I was not prepared for this battle.

after I fixed all the water lines I came home and when I go back I will be ready. going to take a 22 revolver with  22 short ammo. Went and got a trap this morning, going to slide it under the house through a door I made to get under the trailer. Now I just need to find out what to bait em with. The war has begun.

SANY4397.JPG

3 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

I hate armadillos.  Badly.  

I think that armadillos are too damn dumb and blind to be trapped, I use a 20 Ga Franchi with a attached flash light to kill them.  They have caused me several nights of sleep watching for them, I wish that they liked Sardines. It seems that they prefer grub worms.

I have tried to poison them and trap them and only killed a couple of terrapins and caught a couple of neighbors cats, which I did rescue.

I now have a partner in crime  that has made a project out of Re-Locating undesirable stray cats.  after he catches them he uses an old .22 B.A Stevens with .22 shorts and sends them to catnip tomorrow land. I supply him with sardines and Ammo.

Edited by mrmackc

I can't shoot at them, too many neighbors around. I don't know what i'm going to use for bait. I've read all kinds of stuff, one guy was trapping them with peanut butter on bread. I can remember never seeing an Armadillo here. now they are plentiful.

try getting sent home from work due to skunks smell on my clothes, family under the house.. back in the rental days of my youth, i had a family of skunks and the babies would fight and spray .. for months i set traps and stayed up all nights of the week while working construction.. it ran me ragged but i had two bbguns in hand and didn't give 2fucks what the neighbors said. treble hooks and hot wires (115 volt) didn't stop them. I finally moved.  Forward 25 years I have a ruger mark4 with a nice CAN that handles critters in the neighborhood! shhh! moles get shot in the front yard with cars driving by. No noise makes the difference.🍻👍

7 hours ago, shooterrex said:

That white one catches grown deer. Skunks ,coons,yotes etc dont stand a chance Great pyreness make good stock protection dogs. We also have a female almost as big. I have to lock them in the barn to coyote hunt.

20171229_171410.jpg

I have a Lab/ Great Pyrenees  mix. He's very timid around us but when something or someone new comes around he's all business.