Rattlesnakes

Belt Fed

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All snakes are protected here, but I don't care. we really have three venomous snakes, Timber rattler, Water Moccasin and copperhead. We are supposed to have coral snakes here but I have never seen one or heard of any encounter with one. I give a pass to all non venomous ones, but the ones that will hurt you gotta go. I took this one to the grandson to skin out. That rattler was coiled up by her truck door last night. she went to get in and the cat alerted her to it.

5 minutes ago, Belt Fed said:

All snakes are protected here, but I don't care. we really have three venomous snakes, Timber rattler, Water Moccasin and copperhead. We are supposed to have coral snakes here but I have never seen one or heard of any encounter with one. I give a pass to all non venomous ones, but the ones that will hurt you gotta go. I took this one to the grandson to skin out. That rattler was coiled up by her truck door last night. she went to get in and the cat alerted her to it.

We have the same snakes except we primarily have western diamondbacks with some timber rattlers in the east.  I would dispatch of venomous snakes if in close proximity to normal human areas (around the house, yard or barn) but not if I am in its territory and I just see it in passing.  I would have gotten rid of that one as well. 

Did the snake rattle at all?  I have heard that many of them have learned not to rattle because of the wild hogs.

2 minutes ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

We have the same snakes except we primarily have western diamondbacks with some timber rattlers in the east.  I would dispatch of venomous snakes if in close proximity to normal human areas (around the house, yard or barn) but not if I am in its territory and I just see it in passing.  I would have gotten rid of that one as well. 

Did the snake rattle at all?  I have heard that many of them have learned not to rattle because of the wild hogs.

She said it did when the cat approached it. They make more of a buzz than rattle. I've heard a bunch of them at deer camp. that's the first one I've seen around here in a long time.

Wife had a coworker and her husband over this weekend. They asked if we had any trouble with snakes. “Been here a year and I’ve see one snake...not a rattler” I told them. Sure enough they tripped over a really dark one while my wife was showing them the property. I didn’t get back down the hill in time to kill it. Bummer. 

56 minutes ago, DNP said:

Sure enough they tripped over a really dark one while my wife was showing them the property. I didn’t get back down the hill in time to kill it. Bummer. 

No shiit, brother?! You do have some pretty primo ground for snakes, though - all the rocks, veg, etc.  Might be time for me to gift you some 9mm snakeshot.

I hate the rattlers here, we have a couple types.  Western Diamondback, and the Mojave.  That Mojave is a mean motherfucker, and will sit in trees.  They're quiet, and may or may not rattle, before they try to fuk you up.  Gotta keep your eyes open when you're in al area with head-high branches.

This guy right here I stumbled upon last summer - he was just getting his meal, and I left him alone.  He hit a big bird, and was chowing down.  He was impressive, and THICK.

image.thumb.png.ae62efa2de7adbba6c291e6f73577d55.png

More pics in here:

Thats a pretty good sized snake! East of the mountains it's skake country where we camp. lots of deer mice to eat and it gets hot which they like! Ive offed about 4 over the last 20 years. biggest was about 40" and fat!  I had the skins on boards felt backed but lost them in the war. I will eat the next one as i never tried it? 

24 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

No shiit, brother?! You do have some pretty primo ground for snakes, though - all the rocks, veg, etc.  Might be time for me to gift you some 9mm snakeshot.

I hate the rattlers here, we have a couple types.  Western Diamondback, and the Mojave.  That Mojave is a mean motherfucker, and will sit in trees.  They're quiet, and may or may not rattle, before they try to fuk you up.  Gotta keep your eyes open when you're in al area with head-high branches.

This guy right here I stumbled upon last summer - he was just getting his meal, and I left him alone.  He hit a big bird, and was chowing down.  He was impressive, and THICK.

image.thumb.png.ae62efa2de7adbba6c291e6f73577d55.png

More pics in here:

Tom, dont know if you know this or not but the Mojaves are the worst ones we have to get bitten by! I had one in the middle of camp about 10 years ago. Used it to make sure all the kids knew what they sounded like. It was in the middle of a bush right in front of where my truck and trailer were parked and went off when I was walking up to the truck. I used to catch them every summer so knew how to handle them. I had to LOOK pretty good to even see him, the camouflage was so good!! Got a hooked metal rod I have to pull him out after I got everyone to put their dogs away and got the kids ready to watch. It never did strike the whole time I had it out and then I released it into a ditch a couple of hundred yards away after I showed everyone and taught the kids what they sounded like. Mohave is the LAST rattler I would want to be bit by!! It was a good teaching experience for all the kids with us.

4 minutes ago, suzukiray said:

Mohave is the LAST rattler I would want to be bit by!! It was a good teaching experience for all the kids with us.

They are badass snakes, with pissed off demeanors.  I hate those bastards.  They are the King of "I will kill you" among all the rattlesnakes, as far as toxicity. 

8 minutes ago, edgecrusher said:

Careful. Went to a snake bite call, same circumstances, snake was dead but still moving and guy freaked when buddy did that and fell on it and was “ bit”

Yep - you can't kill a rattlesnake, then go pick it up,if it still has a head - it'll still bite you, dead or not, if you don't let the time go by and make sure it's not twitching.

I have seen the head try to bite even after it was cut off. One year when my son was young, I took him deer hunting and we killed a huge timber rattler. I hunted a stand close to him so if he killed one I would hear it. I think he played with that snake most of the afternoon. It had no head as I blew it off and cut it clean. he wanted to take it home and skin it. he still has the hyde on a board.

Anyway on the two hour trip home that night after the hunt he fell asleep with the snake in a bag on the floorboard between his feet. I knew he was thinkin about the snake, so I eased over and pinched him on the side and good lawd he like to busted out of the truck. I laughed so hard I had to pull over. That snake was probably six feet long.

33 minutes ago, Belt Fed said:

Random pic I found,  might have to empty a few mags on that.

480x480.jpg

We’ve had that posted as a survey picture for a while. 

“What’s taking so long to get a measurement on the flow line of that pipe?”

35 minutes ago, Belt Fed said:

Random pic I found,  might have to empty a few mags on that.

480x480.jpg

that would suffice my sick curiosity and a few sleeping bags! 

3 minutes ago, DNP said:

We know....

sure but what you don't know...