• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Ruger American Rimfire Target

COBrien

I needed something to keep my mind occupied while I wait the next 8 months to get my Griffin 30SD out of jail.

So I went on the hunt for an accurate .22 WMR. Now, I know the words "accurate" and ".22 WMR" aren't typically anywhere near one another, but I've always had a soft spot for .22 WMR (and .410s), as my first long guns were chambered in each of those.

At the suggestion of 98Z5V, I checked out the Savage 93 FV SR. Nice little rifle, but I hate the stock on it. Simple enough to swap to a Boyd's Pro Varmint, but that's another $150ish I'd have tied up in the rifle before I'd even like it.

Long story short, I settled on the Ruger American Rimfire Target. While I'm not in love with the style of the OEM stock, it's at least laminated and attractive to look at. And, at $400(ish), not a bad bargain, either.

As soon as my gun pusher notified me the rifle was in his hands, I ordered up a DIP 0 MOA scope base, some Warne 30mm Low rings, and some mags (a 9 rounder and 2 15 rounders). Then I robbed my BSA 4-14x44 FFP Mil/Mil scope off one of my 10/22s (it always looked strange on that rifle, anyhow) and mounted it up.

Now to boresight it and get 'er to the range!

RART.JPG

I suspect this rifle may be my "gateway" into PRS/LRP. I'm going to do my best to avoid that. Or, at least, that's what I'll be telling SWMBO.

Edited by COBrien

8 hours ago, COBrien said:

I ordered up a DIP...

I suspect this rifle may be my "gateway" into PRS/LRP.

DIP makes some great stuff for the smaller-caliber guns. I love those guys.  :hail:

Everyone needs that gateway drug, to turn them to the "next sickness" - you start to dabble in long range, and it'll fuk you up for life, brother...  :thumbup::lmao:

Very nice COBrien,  congrats.  I too have avoided PRS/LRP with my current 6.5cm build.  No way am I getting into LRP.  I think you're on to something with a .22 wmr/LRP.  I can see me now.  "  ...I know Honey,  I done messed up again.  I just don't have the range necessary to compete with the fellas.   Yep,  you're right I shoulda bought two rifles when they were on sale. I'll keep an eye out.  I'm such a jerk at times."

I'm not going to pull this off am I ?  poop,  I need a better line.

Edited by RedRiverII

14 minutes ago, RedRiverII said:

Good Z,  

Good,  nothing like a polished presentation.

We start innocently. VERY innocently. First, we look up the cost of the most expensive 6.5 Creedmoor precision ammo that we can find.  You know, the 6.5C you're building is for the ultimate precision, right?  I bet we can find some stuff that's about $4 a round, if we hunt hard enough. 

After that, we start looking at "trainer rifles" and comparing some of the cost of those trainer rifles that are abnormally high in cost...  but, STILL cheaper than that $4 a round that we're looking for on that Creedmoor.

After that, we start comparing costsof "Trainer Rifle Training Ammunition..."  Key words there, man.  :thumbup:

Fact:  for comparing similar wind drift -Shooting .308 Win at 600 yards will have very similar wind drift as Shooting .22LR at 200 yards. 

So, we work the .22LR into the game here...

THEN, we bust out .22WMR.  We've already broken out the 200-600 comparo with .22LR, BUT... we break out the minimal cost difference between .22LR and .22WMR, and explain the vast difference in distance-trajectory in the benefit of the .22WMR round. (we will need data charts to show the differences at distance between the two ".22s"...).

THAT IS THE POINT RIGHT THERE...that you bust out the cost of the Ruger American .22WMR bolt gun.

At that point, my good man, once you've confused her with so many dollar signs all over the place, she goes for the MSRP of that Ruger American .22WMR, and she'll THANK YOU for being practical, and saving money.  :thumbup:

Hold my beer and watch THIS shiit happen...   :hail::banana:

Edited by 98Z5V

^^^  I used something very similar to that- with different facts on different projectile capabilites - to get @Matt.Cross into a BADASS Mk12 Mod 1  6.5 Grendel gun.  It took me a year, but...  I kid you not...   :laffs:

It's all about "persistence", Red.  You can beat this, easily -we just need to approach it with the right information, and right angles...  :banana:

Edited by 98Z5V

13 minutes ago, RedRiverII said:

That link sends my computer to never never land.  That spinning beach ball looking wheel shows up and never stops.  Forced shut down.  Google the subject and same same.  It must be major juju.  

It came up fine for me.  Your wife must be putting filters on your internet.  She's on to you.:lmao:

8 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

^^^  I used something very similar to that- with different facts on different projectile capabilites - to get @Matt.Cross into a BADASS Mk12 Mod 1  6.5 Grendel gun.  It took me a year, but...  I kid you not...   :laffs:

As long as you believe it was actually your idea, my plan worked! :nutkick:

Wow,  all this info and intrigue.  It's like training to be a double naught spy aka Jethro.  Always a pleasure Sir,  thanks for the nudge.  SWMBO is in fact a bookkeeper,  thank goodness for Money Orders.  The last time I had $500 it burnt a hole in my pocket,  really.  Be judicious and rid yourself of that potential hazard.  I have a definite problem in ordering from Armalite,  I can't buy from them without a phone call.  How do I check my security levels?

On to some reading,  TY COBrien.

6 hours ago, Sisco said:

Red, it’s like Dante’s inferno. “Abandon Hope(of having any thing in your wallet) all Ye who enter here”.👹

I'm the only thing standing between my bank account and spending the money, if it was actually my job to be responsible I'd have to fire myself.

23 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

We start innocently. VERY innocently. First, we look up the cost of the most expensive 6.5 Creedmoor precision ammo that we can find.  You know, the 6.5C you're building is for the ultimate precision, right?  I bet we can find some stuff that's about $4 a round, if we hunt hard enough.

@RedRiverII, you ever see the movie "Inception"?...  

It's about the plot, within the plot, within the plot, infiniti...

I planted that seed with the comment I quoted up there ^^^...     We FIND that $4 per-shot expensive 6.5C ammo - let that data dwell in there for some time...and that's our gateway into spending as much as you want on reloading equipment, man...  We have to cultivate this, though, and it takes time... :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

@98Z5V No,  I have not seen the movie.  I'll look it up.  I like to save seeds.  A mighty fine example of which is the $4 dollar a round seed.  I'll find a way to innocuously plant that today some time.  @Sisco,  you have given me some valuable advice now and in the past.  I found that entering any area of abandoning hope is best entered with other like minded folks.  @Cunuckgaucho,  we're fired,  nice company of folks in that area.

Lastly @COBrien,  I'd opt for the can immediately.