• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Peachey's brownie points

WestGaDad

Well damn, @98Z5V, I didn't know you were into Jeeps...

I'm currently trying to weasel my way into a '74 CJ5, AMC 304, 4-speed. Dealer-installed steel hardtop (will be the first thing to get sold off...). Needs a little of everything, I'm afraid. A buddy owns it and has been threatening to sell it to me for a decade now. I hate that it's a mid-year CJ5, because most of the aftermarket sh¡t that's out there is for '76-up.

It'll be a resto-mod type project, trying to keep aftermarket stuff period-correct, while making it a respectable rig at the same time. 4-wheel discs are high on my list, though a front D44 swap and YJ spring conversion are up there, too. The AMC engine is staying, though it may get a 360 or 401 if I can find one reasonably priced, and with an oil pump that's not completely FUBARed...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@98Z5V Sweet YJ man. I really dig that. Glad to see someone appreciate the coil conversion. Definitely know your stuff.

@MikedaddyH It's double cursed. Green is a bad luck bike color. So I had to do it. The *don't die* is a tribute to a Marine friend that always told me that when I'd leave on bikes. Then he lost to PTSD. I thought it was proper for a death trap bike. I'm positive he'd laugh if he could.

10 hours ago, COBrien said:

It'll be a resto-mod type project, trying to keep aftermarket stuff period-correct, while making it a respectable rig at the same time. 4-wheel discs are high on my list, though a front D44 swap.....

That Dana 44 front axle will be well worth it. They are so heavy duty they look like they came off a Russian tank. Had one of those stock on my Scout.

22 minutes ago, Sisco said:

That Dana 44 front axle will be well worth it. They are so heavy duty they look like they came off a Russian tank. Had one of those stock on my Scout.

I mean, it’s got a D30 up front, and I’m just planning 2.5ish inches of lift and 31s. It’s gonna be “my wife’s toy,” so it won’t get beat on. But still...

9 minutes ago, COBrien said:

I mean, it’s got a D30 up front, and I’m just planning 2.5ish inches of lift and 31s. It’s gonna be “my wife’s toy,” so it won’t get beat on. But still...

The only drawback was back then, maintanence specs called for axle fluid replacement every 10,000 miles in heavy use environments, so I had to go under twice a year and drain both axles, transfer case and tranny and replace the fluid. But I never had a driveline failure or break down. As a matter of fact it was the new at the time electronic ignition that caused me more problems until we isolated it to a defective “black box” on the fire wall. A buddy’s Jeep Wagoneer had the same issue. It Left me stranded in Yellowstone Park at 2 am one night. Just me and the bears.

55 minutes ago, COBrien said:

You can beef that D30 to within 10% of the strength of a D44, and not go through the swap-headaches, which are there unless you find the PERFECT D44.  YJ leafs and spring-over perches welded tothe top of the axle tubes will give you a 5.5" lift.  Flex like crazy, too.  Easily run 33s, run 35s if you cut the rear fender wells out in the pattern of TJ rear fender flares.  The beefed D30 can take it - and so can a beefed D35 rear.  If you don't put locking diffs in there, then any "4WD" is really only a 2WD, when you really need it. Open diffs suck, and leave you stuck, unless you know how to "trick them."  That doesn't always work, when you're twisted up. 

I wish I could go back to WA State and take you wheelin' with my old crew, brother.  What a bunch of misfit freaks - with bad trucks, in wet, muddy, root-infested PNW woods.  THAT is some tough wheelin', up there.  Need great nerf bars, because you turn an uphill corner near a tree, and you steer INTO the tree - and use the nerfs and the skinny pedal to "pivot" around it...  :banana:

11 hours ago, COBrien said:

Well damn, @98Z5V, I didn't know you were into Jeeps...

Brother, if it has tits or wheels, I can ride it or drive it.  If it has an internal combustion engine, I can make it more efficient and faster.  If it's mechanical, I can tweak it.  If it's an electrical circuit, I can tweak it.  If it's EFI, I can fuk with it. 

If it goes BANG!   Then I just love it...   :thumbup:

21 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

You can beef that D30 to within 10% of the strength of a D44, and not go through the swap-headaches, which are there unless you find the PERFECT D44. 

Several variations of the Dana 44 have been used as the rear axle in Jeeps, all of them use a 8.5" ring and pinion. The Dana 44s with the two piece shafts are 19 spline or 27 spline and the versions with the one piece shafts are 30 spline.if you do a swap you want a one piece shaft.

16 hours ago, Peachey said:

727 auto

I'm not afraid of that auto trans.  That's the best trans that MOPAR ever made, right there, with all it's variations of it.  It's the basis for every badass auto trans that was every made.  The 727/A518/46RE is in my big truck, and I modded the SHEEIIT out of the valve body on that thing, and converted it to full manual control - that means if you're going 80, and you downshift it to 1st, you better floor it, because it's going to 1st...   :laffs:  Safety-shifts are gone, it you drop it in 1 and mat the thing, there's no "safety-shift" to second - it'll over-rev.  Same for 2-to-3.  You lock it in a 1-2-3 gear, and it's staying there- until you pick another gear.  Converted the forward and reverse servos to solid servos (no "mushy" shifts), and bumped the line pressure up.  Drilled the holes up in the pressure ports, removed a few "unnecessary" check valves, and installed stiffer springs under the "important" check valves, which pushed the WOT shift point to 5700rpm for each gear change.   Pull it from Park to a drive gear, but have your foot on the brake, because it jumps.  When in "D" and it shifts, you know it, because it smacks the back of your head with the seat headrest...   :lmao:   Extremely short shifts, from gear to gear - all those "smooth" auto trans rigs have a ton of overlap between shifts, and that just builds heat.  Heat is the #1 Killer of an auto trans. The shorter, and more violent the shift is - the longer your auto trans will live.  Install the largest aftermarket trans cooler that will fit in your truck - Really, do that first.   I know, because I killed my A518/46RE twice, even after mods...   :bitchslap:

16 hours ago, DNP said:

Were almost done with the 5.3 swap in my dads 03 LJ. Still shaking out some bugs between computers.  He almost sold it.

DD94D7EE-7110-4DB8-A502-40E85EB5A105.jpeg

759BE90B-D675-4702-ACCF-05A1DEAE9839.jpeg

I almost took it in to fix the issues on that Banks turbo system - but the boss was being GAY about it.  EXTREMELY Fuckin' Douchy...   That shocked me with him, too.  I think he was skeered, but I wasn't.  Bastard.

15 hours ago, DNP said:

Well....that went off the rails quickly. I blame 98. 

I'll take the credit for derailing this one...   :lmao:

https://media.giphy.com/media/xT9Igk6pl01yVK0FHO/giphy.gif

Edited by 98Z5V

2 minutes ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

Several variations of the Dana 44 have been used as the rear axle in Jeeps, all of them use a 8.5" ring and pinion. The Dana 44s with the two piece shafts are 19 spline or 27 spline and the versions with the one piece shafts are 30 spline.if you do a swap you want a one piece shaft.

And the largest spline count that you can find...   More splines = stronger.  :thumbup:

17 minutes ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

"Shift on the Fly" Jeep 4WD systems (only the solid front axle systems - not that weiner IFS shiit) have a "Center Axle Disconnect"  (CAD) on the long side-shaft in the front axle - eliminate it. It's vacuum operated, and it sucks.  Either convert it to a cable-pull system, so YOU engage it - or go through the pain and shiit-can it permanently with a one-piece long-side shaft and a block off plate for the CAD housing that's in the front axle.  I did the cable-operated thing for several years, but just ended up going with a one-piece long-side shaft and a block off plate.  That was when I went to the manual hub conversion on the D30.  I ran front Lock-Right locker and cable-operated CAD for several years, with no issues, but that front hub conversion was calling my name... I Full Floated the rear axle at the same time as I did the front hub conversion.

Edited by 98Z5V

@98Z5V Lockers are definitely on the list. Well, I say “lockers,” but what I’m really looking into is the Detroit TrueTrac — helical LS — at least in the front, maybe also our back. Rear may get an Aussie. But, with the rear being a D44, options are pretty much limitless. 

Honestly, just getting the thing to the point that it’s not a mechanical center of uranus will be my first priority.

Then... Mods.  

1 minute ago, 98Z5V said:

"Shift on the Fly" Jeep 4WD systems have a "Center Axle Disconnect"  (CAD) on the long side-shaft in the front axle - eliminate it. It's vacuum operated, and it sucks.  Either convert it to a cable-pull system, so YOU engage it - or go through the pain and shiit-can it permanently with a one-piece long-side shaft and a block off plate for the CAD housing that's in the front axle.  I did the cable-operated thing for several years, but just ended up going with a one-piece long-side shaft and a block off plate.  That was when I went to the manual hub conversion on the D30.  I ran front Lock-Right locker and cable-operated CAD for several years, with no issues, but that front hub conversion was calling my name... 

Truth brother... I had the vacuum operated originally, swapped to cable operated. Only idea worse was the use of vacuum operated windshield wipers, as you go faster vacuum drops thus windshield wiper speed drops 

@98Z5V yep, we're big 727 fans. Apparently my IH housing is different but the guts are the same. We've got 3 spares (L.A. MoPar housing) out of older Winnebago motor homes in our shed. He collects them everytime he spots one. He says the RV ones are beefier, and I know for a fact (cause I hepped!) that the tail ends swap right right over with regular car trannys. That's what's in my Duster right now until we finish collecting 4sp parts up and do that swap.

@DNP I'm just even more in love with this forum cause we do go off the rails lolol. It shouldn't surprise me, but it's pretty cool that a lot of us have such similar interests outside of what brought us here. It's like the only social media I fit in lol. 

7 minutes ago, Peachey said:

@98Z5V yep, we're big 727 fans. Apparently my IH housing is different but the guts are the same. We've got 3 spares (L.A. MoPar housing) out of older Winnebago motor homes in our shed. He collects them everytime he spots one. He says the RV ones are beefier, and I know for a fact (cause I hepped!) that the tail ends swap right right over with regular car trannys. That's what's in my Duster right now until we finish collecting 4sp parts up and do that swap.

Truth, in that.  Straight cut gears in the RV trans, which is not the helical-cut gears in the car/truck trans.  It's the identical argument of a Chev TH400 vs. a TH475 - the 475 was the RV trans, with straight cut gears.  As much as I say I hate working on autos, I've made some money swapping TH475 motorhome gears into TH400 transmissions, for wheeling buddies. Fuckin' bulletproof trans, right there. 

Edited by 98Z5V

4 minutes ago, Peachey said:

@98Z5V I'll have to dig deep and see if I can find the pics of me rebuilding the valvebody for the Duster 727. He had me drill out some of the plates and stuff. But the funny pics were me cleaning it all up in the guest bathtub lolol. 

When I got divorced from the first one, and had the house all to myself - I converted the YJ 231 t-case over to the larger mainshaft and fixed yoke conversion - and I cleaned that fucker in the dishwasher.  Took pics of it coming out, to send to her, too...   :banana:  I completely get it...   :thumbup:

3 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

When I got divorced from the first one, and had the house all to myself - I converted the YJ 231 t-case over to the larger mainshaft and fixed yoke conversion - and I cleaned that fucker in the dishwasher.  Took pics of it coming out, to send to her, too...   :banana:  I completely get it...   :thumbup:

That's funny! My girlfriend's always give me crap about the random stuff we keep indoors that they'd never let their old man do. We've got a bucket of Carter AFB's that's been in the kitchen for at least 3mo's now lol. We don't have a garage though (yet), so any of the "valuable" small stuff automatically comes inside. Of course I grew up around my grandfather's shop, so I guess I was trained to look the other way early on. 

54 minutes ago, Peachey said:

@DNP I'm just even more in love with this forum cause we do go off the rails lolol. It shouldn't surprise me, but it's pretty cool that a lot of us have such similar interests outside of what brought us here. It's like the only social media I fit in lol. 

I think that’s why most of us misfits are here. It’s our own little island and most of don’t really do “social media” outside of this place. The core group is solid, and every so often we get some new folks that stumble in and immediately feel like family. 

14 minutes ago, DNP said:

I think that’s why most of us misfits are here. It’s our own little island and most of don’t really do “social media” outside of this place. The core group is solid, and every so often we get some new folks that stumble in and immediately feel like family. 

Yep, @WestGaDad is pretty solid.  I like that guy, the mentality, everything...  Good people.   His woman, though...     :laffs:

just kidding, about Peach?...   :lmao::hornet:

20 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Yep, @WestGaDad is pretty solid.  I like that guy, the mentality, everything...  Good people.   His woman, though...     :laffs:

just kidding, about Peach?...   :lmao::hornet:

Bwahahaha, funny, funny, I hear ya "dawg" as we here in GA say.... Lol. Y'all are awesome.

@DNP well consider me a proud misfit!