• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Colt stops selling long guns to retailers

No link to news, zero reference...

Here's the deal on Colt - they, THEY, state their stopping .civ longs guns so "they can refocus on capturing the military market" again.  Whatever.  Won't happen.  Do as you will though, Colt, and think that will "refocus" your efforts to get-again the military contracts that you lost by your own fault...   Colt went under in 2015.  Somehow, they managed to still be here. 

According to Colt, and their story on whey they're doing this, you have to read in to it a little.  They're (according to them, but NOT directly stated), NOT doing this as a political-pressure, gun-grab, BS Dem agenda to keep guns out of .civ hands.  They never stated that as a reason to stop making gun for .civs.  The only thing they stated was to "re-focus on .mil contracts."

Doesn't matter what they do, FN will smoke them in the M4/M4A1/M16 market, like they started doing in the M16 market about 1997-ish.  Very first FN M16 I ever saw was in Korea during a 2-year tour.  Shocked the fuk outta me, looking at the markings on the magwell...

Here a link on the story.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/colt-halts-sales-of-long-guns-to-the-retail-market/

On 9/13/2019 at 11:29 AM, RedRiverII said:

Pythons are arguably the best production revolver ever made.  COLT has been feasted upon by generations of idiots and imbeciles.  The innovators and imagination folks are long gone.  Maybe it is time to lay down and perish.  

This article seems to concur with the notion that "The innovators and imagination folks are long gone." 

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/colt-will-never-build-another-python/

Yes sir,  that is true for now.  Colt has never had an easy time of it.  They do have a fascinating history as a company,  and even before Colt was a company.  I may dust off a corner of my book shelf and read up some more,   but I recall,  and I'm working on my first cup of Joe,  reading several sections of books on Samuel Colt.  From his whittling a wooden model of a cylinder while a youngster out at sea,  to traveling the world pursuing his dream.  COLT was not always that monolith we have come to assume it is or was.  It was created by a bad boy who had a habit of getting in trouble.  Sound like anyone you know?  I wasn't a bad boy in school,  well intentionally anyhow,  they bored me to death.  You can't tie down youthful energy,  you can drug these kids but youth must prevail.  Anyway Colt was built and guided by a highly energetic man.  A creator.  I don't see anything like him today at the helm.  

BTW,  I think Colt bought the modern rifle design from Armalite in 1954--6 ?  Not selling to civvies?  They're not selling period.  There are way too many manufacturers as is.  Sorry OP,  I didn't mean to go too far adrift.

Here's some more insight into Colt's decision - bottom line, Don't Believe The Media Hype.  It's, literally, Fake News.  Check this out:

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/colt-ar-15-production-abc-news-report-bends-truth-to-fit-narrative/

How to Bend the News

September 19, 2019 4:42 PM

This, from ABC, is a nice example of a news organization deliberately bending the truth in order to advance a narrative that it wishes were true but is not:

Venerable gun manufacturer Colt says it will stop producing the AR-15, among other rifles, for the consumer market in the wake of many recent mass shootings in which suspects used the weapon.

Wow. Sounds dramatic. ABC continues:

“At the end of the day, we believe it is good sense to follow consumer demand and to adjust as market dynamics change,” Dennis Veilleux, president and CEO of Colt, said in a statement. “Colt has been a stout supporter of the Second Amendment for over 180 years, remains so, and will continue to provide its customers with the finest quality firearms in the world.”

So the story is that, although it still respects the Second Amendment, Colt is going to stop producing AR-15s after a series of mass shootings in which they were used. Right?

Wrong. That’s actually not the story at all, as ABC notes further down:

The company did not mention mass shootings in its statement about stopping production and instead blamed the indefinite pause in making the weapon on a “significant excess manufacturing capacity.”

Ah.

The phrasing in the above paragraph is remarkable. The reason that the company “did not mention mass shootings” is because mass shootings have nothing to do with its decision. And Colt didn’t “blame” its decision on anything, because its decision isn’t a problem for which “blame” needs to be assigned. As Colt has made clear, it believes that “there is adequate supply for modern sporting rifles for the foreseeable future,” and so it is temporarily shifting its production priorities in order to focus on the military side of its business. That’s it. That’s the whole story.

Compare ABC’s first two paragraphs with those from the Associated Press’s story and you will see the problem:

Gunmaker Colt says it is suspending its production of rifles for the civilian market including the popular AR-15.

Colt’s chief executive officer, Dennis Veilleux, says it is not permanently ending production but believes there is already an adequate supply of sporting rifles on the market. He said in a statement Thursday the company will concentrate on fulfilling military and law enforcement contracts with its rifle manufacturing.

Wasn’t so hard, was it?

A few things-

What a company officially releases to the press means as much to me as what the military officially releases to the press. It could be 80% true, or it could more likely be 10% true.

If i believed every word that Colt said in that release, i would surmise that they are going to stop selling long guns because they cant charge enough for their name anymore and they dont actually have any desire to A- sell their current quality rifle at a competitive price, or B- raise the quality of their product to meet their price, OR C- get your foot into the premium grade ar market, which we all KNOW they could do.

BUT- why do ANY of that when they can sell their rifles grossly over priced to over seas militaries? Why try to be competitive in a market where you dont have to be.

At best, Colt = American H&K. Screw em

Maybe next time they go bankrupt and get new management they can get the rights to the Pony back and actually sell competitive and modern firearms.

There's alot going on about Colt's decision - which is a temporary decision - versus how the MSM spun the hell out of it.  This relevance in Colt's true verbiage on this is just more proof that you can't trust a single thing the MSM puts out...  :thumbup:

^^^  That's exactly what the MSM is doing with this story.  They're putting a "spin" on it that Colt never stated, at all.  Colt was clear (now, a week later, when the real info comes out) over what the MSM stated was the reasons for "stopping production."  Additionally, Colt never stated that they were "stopping production" for civilians - they have enough "civilian supply" for now, so they're shutting down future .civ production  - for now, temporarily - and focusing that manufacturing effort towards the contracts that they've already got, both .mil and .leo.

MSM spun it towards gun crime and mass shootings.  That was never the case, and never a factor...