• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Eotech, which one?

Cliff R

Don't really know much about them.  I've accumulated enough points at Cabelas and need to use them, and had thoughts of getting some sort of quick acquisition sight.  I heard great things about the Eotech's, but my only experience to date has been with Red Dot sights.

When I pulled up what models are available there were PLENTY.  Just wanted a good recommendation based on real World experience with them, etc....tks......Cliff

I haven't heard or did any research on the good, bad or ugly.  I just noticed quite a few different models available and wondering what's the best bang for the buck.

Not locked into getting an Eotech, if there is something out there better for the money spent I'd like to know about it...tks....

2 hours ago, Cliff R said:

I haven't heard or did any research on the good, bad or ugly.  I just noticed quite a few different models available and wondering what's the best bang for the buck.

Got a few red dots even though I have astigmatism. For me the better quality sights like Aimpoint show pretty pretty good but lower end versions like the Bushnell TRS 25 has a dot like Halley's comet for me. I can't say enough about my Aimpoint PRO, bought it used, swap it around pretty regular, finds itself in a side cubby in the trunk for months sometimes, gets no respect but works like clockwork all the time. The Vortex Strikefire runs a close second for clarity of the dot with my eyes, build looks as tough as the Aimpoint but I haven't used it near as much, I don't think it meets all the extreme specs for the Aimpoint. The better Primary Arms red dots are good bang for the buck, probably the best bang for the buck.

All that hot-weather stuff that the Army started...   I think was political.

I have a 512 that I cerakoted and baked at 170 degrees to cure the cerakote.  I didn't like it, so I stripped it, repainted it, and baked it at 170 again.  It's STILL dead-nuts on. 

Don't believe the hype on that hot-weather BS.  Mine works great after going through the oven twice.   :thumbup:

I was looking at the 512, and like the cheaper AA battery deal but also eyeballing the shorter and more compact models like the XPS2.

Basically I have some Cabellas bucks to spend and don't really need anything else.  If I let Deb cut loose with my card she'll just buy a bunch of nick-knack chit and some apparel, so figured I'd go on line and place an order before our next store visit.

The sight will end up on my "home-defense" AR-15 so not overly concerned with long range pin point accuracy or even shifting point of aim slightly for one reason or the other.  I doubt if it will ever be used past 15 yards or so unless the chit-hooks that wondered onto my property with bad intentions are trying to escape up thru the woods behind the house, and at that point I'll probably just fire over their heads anyhow.....LOL.

Thanks for the info guys........Cliff

10 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Don't believe the hype on that hot-weather BS

Looking at secondhand market results seems to confirm that. I follow the fleabay market pretty close and see used Eotechs in good condition selling for around 80% of new price, just like you see if you follow Aimpoint sales. All those used optics that were gonna hit the market after after the recall never really appeared. 

I wish the Eotech would work for me, love that big window and the reticle. Astigmatism works weird on it, looks nice and crisp for a bit then blurs a little and doubles on me, most cheaper red dots are just a fuzzy odd blob, Aimpoint is a still crisp tiny star so easy to center up with it. The higher end optics are doing something better or different for sure. 

15 hours ago, Cliff R said:

I was looking at the 512, and like the cheaper AA battery deal but also eyeballing the shorter and more compact models like the XPS2.

Basically I have some Cabellas bucks to spend and don't really need anything else.  If I let Deb cut loose with my card she'll just buy a bunch of nick-knack chit and some apparel, so figured I'd go on line and place an order before our next store visit.

The sight will end up on my "home-defense" AR-15 so not overly concerned with long range pin point accuracy or even shifting point of aim slightly for one reason or the other.  I doubt if it will ever be used past 15 yards or so unless the chit-hooks that wondered onto my property with bad intentions are trying to escape up thru the woods behind the house, and at that point I'll probably just fire over their heads anyhow.....LOL.

Thanks for the info guys........Cliff

Here's something about the design of the EOTech reticle - the 1 MOA center dot and the 65 MOA circle.  It's designed for a 50/200 yard zero.  You zero that 1 MOA center dot for 50 yards. 

There are 4 hash marks around the reticle (12, 3, 6, 9 o'clock).  The bottom of the circle, with a 50 yard zero - the bottom of the circle is a 7 yard zero. 

Truth.

eotech-1-dot-reticlewyards(1)-252x125.jp

Good info.  I'm assuming that it would be close for either 193 or 855 ammo for when they cross the line of sight at 50 and 200 yards.

For the most part that's all I shoot in my AR's even the ones I have set up for Varmint hunting.  Each one favors a certain ammo, may shoot well with many, and poorly with others, at least from what I've seen here as I buy a lot of it in bulk. 

Most of the cheaper bulk ammo isn't that great, even though one would think it would at least make the Mil-Spec since they often advertise it with Military designations.

Sort of related by I have a really old Red Dot type sight on my 870 dedicated slug gun.  I don't even know who made it (Tasco maybe?), but I've had it so long couldn't even tell you when I bought it, probably in the 1980's.   The hard kicking 870 hasn't shook it loose yet, nor has it required any adjustments for point of aim.  I've busted more deer with it than I can count, and can't remember the last time it needed a battery, and I think I messed up and left it on after hunting season which killed it.

I love no magnification and only one thing to look at for close range and moving game.  Many of the deer I've busted with that set-up have been on drives and they were moving pretty good.   Pretty cool concept, shoot both eyes open, put the Red Dot on the target, swing with them if moving/lead based on distance and speed, down they go.

For the job at hand I'm still leaning toward an Eotech as I like the look of them and "open" field of view vs looking into a tube......Cliff

I've got a couple of the older EOTech SOCOM 553 models, that had the QD mount from the factory. One of them is on my DD MK18, and the opther on a 300 black SBR. Those things are deadly accurate around 100 yards or less. Accurate outside that also.

I'm with 98 on these, don't believe the hype that was put out about them a couple years ago.

12 hours ago, Cliff R said:

Good info.  I'm assuming that it would be close for either 193 or 855 ammo for when they cross the line of sight at 50 and 200 yards.

That's exactly what they were designed for - the .mil ammo.  They work well with 55gr, to the limits of the 55gr max distance, but were really designed for the 62gr M855 ammo. It'll work for you, just zero the thing for 50 yards, and you're pretty much point/aim/hold out to 300 on a man-size or deer-size target.  Just about the same vital zone area on both (7-ish inches).

I don't see difference in 55gr ammo until 450 yards.  I can pretty much hold the same as my 75gr loads to 400.  Running the 55gr to 450 yards, I have to hold for 500 yards to make hits. After 400 is where it really differs from the heavier projectiles, and where the 55gr drops off.  The .mil 62gr is a weird animal, because of it's construction (the SS109/M855 loads). They fly like 75/77gr loads to about 600.  After that, they drop off like the 55gr loads do after 400.  Anyone that can run a 62gr SS109 to 800 yards is a badass. 75s and 77s get there easily, but the magic in those 75s and 77s is getting them to 2750fps muzzle velocity - that's when the magic happens - at or north of 2750fps on them...

Some of the SS109 is about 3100 fps, and the 55gr M193 loads are getting near 3300 fps.  Both those loads are screamers, for what they are.

Edited by 98Z5V

The bullet drop on the M193 is significant and long distance.  Just for fun I shot 3 rounds at a dead tree apprx 700 yards from where I was set up ground hog hunting.  Did even think I'd be on the tree at all but surprisingly all three rounds were pretty close to each other, but WAY below the point of aim.  The tree was slightly down hill from my position.  Didn't have my range finder with me but would estimate 650-700 yards as it's 250 to the fence then about 400 yards or a tad further into the next field to the tree.  I'd guess the bullet impact point below the point of aim at close 8 feet!

Next outing I'll try my 308 AR and see how much it drops doing the same thing......Cliff

IMG_1020.jpg

IMG_1023.jpg

Well, one followed me home.  Ended up with the Model 552.   Cost me $3 out of pocket after I redeemed my points.  Took about 5 minutes and 20 rounds to zero at 7yds.  Using the hash mark on the bottom of the circle putting all the rounds pretty much in the same hole at 7 yards.  Good enough for what I bought it for and I'll check it at longer distances next time we go to the range.......Cliff

IMG_1070.jpg

Thanks.  Always wanted one but hate throwing that kind of change at something I might not like. 

Did some night shooting with it behind the shop (works flawlessly with the hand grip spot-light on my AR-15), and some more close range, rapid fire, etc.  Really liking it at this point.  Headed for the range this weekend to see how it does at longer distances.......Cliff