• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Budget Scope

0null00

I have one on the Valkyrie too, haven't hunted with it yet. the two 300 blk have a Konus and Leapers UTG, I hunted with the leapers (top one) a couple times, actually dropped the gun, it was unloaded. it fell pretty hard and it didn't knock the scope off. All of them are cheap scopes, not had any problems YET, but that can change,

SANY4174.JPG

SANY2742.JPG

SANY4191 (1).JPG

• 8 months later...

I've busted close to 50 groundhogs this year with an el-cheapo Tasco 4-12 scope mounted on my Ruger 10-22.  I think it was around $60 with rings.   It's been beating around on the side-by-side all summer and hasn't budged.  I wouldn't be afraid of one as a cheap option for an AR platform.  It's amazingly clear on lower powers and not bad at 12 power although you start to see what separates higher quality scopes from the bargain stuff.......Cliff

IMG_1878.jpg

17 hours ago, Cliff R said:

I've busted close to 50 groundhogs this year with an el-cheapo Tasco 4-12 scope mounted on my Ruger 10-22.

Cliff, what trigger do you have in there?  Still the stock trigger?  If so, there are a couple options out there that are amazing, and don't cost a ton of money.  Completely changes the whole gun, too.  

18 hours ago, Cliff R said:

I took the trigger group apart and "worked" it some.  Made a World of difference.  It was a little intimidating at first, but not too bad once I dove into it. 

I haven't done any research on them, what is available?.....

The easy one is the Ruger trigger pack that they have for the gun - the Ruger BX Trigger.  Runs MSRP at $90, straight from Ruger.   That trigger is okay, but varies in pull weight (as stated by Ruger) of 2.5 ~ 3.0 lbs pull.  It is an improvement over the stock trigger, by far. 

The other is Power Custom, and their Grand Master parts.  Their hammer and sear pack drops the pull weight to 2.75lbs, and it's $65.  It's a great upgrade.  They have a TON of 10/22 parts.  Their Grand Master Action Kit retails at $200, and it's got some serious shiit in it - every improvement that you'd ever need to make to a 10/22 (minus the auto bolt release and a Yellow Jacket buffer).

Hammer and sear pack:

http://powercustom.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=82

HammerSear.jpg

Grand Master Action Kit:

http://powercustom.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=81

GrandMasterKit.jpg

You can make your own auto bolt release in about 5 minutes, with a dremel.  No need to spend money on one from someone offering them. 

Edited by 98Z5V

Cool.  All I've done so far was to polish the hammer/sear parts and remove a tiny pit of material to reduce the "creep".  I left the springs stock to start with just to see how much improvement there was in just polishing up the parts.  It's better but still just a tad too heavy for my liking so I'll go another direction with it.  Good to see a lot of support, I'll check out the options and get something better in there...tks....

15 hours ago, Cliff R said:

Cool.  All I've done so far was to polish the hammer/sear parts and remove a tiny pit of material to reduce the "creep".  I left the springs stock to start with just to see how much improvement there was in just polishing up the parts.  It's better but still just a tad too heavy for my liking so I'll go another direction with it.  Good to see a lot of support, I'll check out the options and get something better in there...tks....

TONS of 10/22 support and admiration for the platform here, brother.  Here's what you need to modify on the stock bolt catch/release to make it an auto bolt release.

So, you know the process - pull the charging handle back, and manipulate that bolt-catch side of it to hold it back.  Then, to release it, you need to pull the charging handle back, play with that bolt catch again - the OTHER way - to drop the bolt on a new round. 

With this mod, you pull the charging handle - play with that bolt catch and get it to hold.  Change mags, tap the charging handle - and it goes, automatically forward.  No more manipulation of that bolt catch, the other way, while you have the charging handle back...  It's the single best thing you can do to a 10/22, by far, and it's free - if you have a Dremel. Or a machine shop for carbs, like you do...   :thumbup:

How To Modify Your Ruger 10/22 Bolt Lock For Automatic Release | Gun Values  Board

The Power Custom Hammer and Sear Pack, for $65, give you a solid, nice 2.75 lb trigger pull.  :thumbup:

just a side thought....not a real question:

How many non gun people would see that and assume you’re teaching the man how to make a fully automatic baby killing machine?

”see how easy it is to make you’re super dooper assault weapon automatic??? We need to ban these things like yesterday”

Edited by DNP

21 hours ago, DNP said:

just a side thought....not a real question:

How many non gun people would see that and assume you’re teaching the man how to make a fully automatic baby killing machine?

”see how easy it is to make you’re super dooper assault weapon automatic??? We need to ban these things like yesterday”

Bah.  It's the bolt release.  So you don't have to push that catch in again to release the locked-back bolt.  The 10/22s are a PITA with that. 

I WANT the uninitiated to come here and say stoopid things like that.  :drool:   Once they do, I'll light the fire on the Roast Machine, have a few while it's warming up, and prep for the action that's coming down...   :banana:

On 9/4/2020 at 7:10 PM, 98Z5V said:

Bah.  It's the bolt release.  So you don't have to push that catch in again to release the locked-back bolt.  The 10/22s are a PITA with that. 

I WANT the uninitiated to come here and say stoopid things like that.  :drool:   Once they do, I'll light the fire on the Roast Machine, have a few while it's warming up, and prep for the action that's coming down...   :banana:

:popcorn:

Update.  Trigger is done.  I ended up buying a spring kit for it, "re-worked" the hammer and see a bit more, perfect. 

I must not have removed quite enough material from the catch/release.  It works about 80 percent of the time but hangs up and requires a little manipulation once in a while.  I'll get back on that tomorrow.......

On 9/9/2020 at 5:00 PM, Cliff R said:

I must not have removed quite enough material from the catch/release.  It works about 80 percent of the time but hangs up and requires a little manipulation once in a while.  I'll get back on that tomorrow.......

Good, round radius along the top portion, to removed that "heart" shape - but there's a small notch that the bottom of that "V" - knock that think out of there, too, and make it "round" at that base, man.  :thumbup:

Works like a champ. 

Ya, I didn't get it "rounded" as I was being a little conservative.  It's sticking some so will go back in and open it up some more.

As far as the trigger it is excellent and I'm done there.  I used a spring kit that was less than $10 and dubbed USA made parts.  In conjunction with "working" the hammer and sear a bit it is right where I want it to be for this type of weapon.  Very little "creep" and probably around 3 pounds pull or slightly less.  It passes the "drop" test so I left enough sear engagement as it's not going to be unsafe or go off unexpectedly.

Hopefully I'll find some time later today to get the catch/release working better......stay tuned.......

Update.  I took the trigger group back off and low and behold my dumb-ass had the catch spring missing the catch....oops.  I opened up the hole a bit, captured the spring on top of the catch and it's flawless!.....Thanks for the tips on upgrading it, pretty sweet deal now when you pull the bolt back when it's locked it actually goes forward!......