• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Springfield Armory XD pistols

Cliff R

Was stuck in the house yesterday so worked up some 45 ACP hand-loads for the XDS.  I thought about trying them in the Shield but I like the XD so much better no sense of wasting any ammo in it before I send it down the road. 

Picked up some Hornady XTP 185 grain JHP's and backed them with 7.5 grains of CFE Pistol powder.  The reloading manuals say that's good for about 1100fps with a 5" barrel and still under max pressure.  The XD sure loves them tearing out another 3" or so jagged hole in the 55 gallon drum lid with two magazines fed thru it.   Pic of the 185 JHP's on the right next to a Remington 230 grain factory JHP round.....going to do some expansion testing next to see how well they open up at that velocity......

IMG_1414.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Cliff R said:

Picked up some Hornady XTP 185 grain JHP's

I have found my 1911 really likes those bullets, most accurate bullet I found for it. I would have to dig into the notes for the load I ended up with but it wasn't that fast. I have a big pile of them, everytime I bought a Hornady die set or other reloading equipment I would get a free box, not sure if they are still doing that or not.

Good to know.  This XD likes them.  I forgot to shoot a pic of the group.  The felt recoil is noticeable with the CFE Pistol powder at 7.5 grains, 8.1 is max and shows 1139fps from a 5" barrel on the table for reloading data.  It's a pretty "hefty" load right where it is and grouping well so going to leave it as-is for now and start enjoying shooting the pistol some.....

• 3 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, willbird said:

I have had an XD45 for years,

Same here.  When I picked mine up, it was like winning Gun Store Lottery - it's the full grip, 4" barrel, thumb safety version - the LEO pistol config. I love that pistol.   :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

I've ground quite fond of my XDS-45.  There isn't anything not to like about it.  Been carrying it as my primary weapon ever since it followed me home.  Been running a lot of rounds thru it too, and not a single malfunction of any kind with any type of ammo.......

10 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Same here.  When I picked mine up, it was like winning Gun Store Lottery - it's the full grip, 4" barrel, thumb safety version - the LEO pistol config. I love that pistol.   :thumbup:

The only downside is that they HATE semiwadcutter bullets. Looking at how they work I think it is because of how far the barrel drops to come out of battery compared to John Browning's original design. 

Bill

15 hours ago, Cliff R said:

I've ground quite fond of my XDS-45.  There isn't anything not to like about it.  Been carrying it as my primary weapon ever since it followed me home.  Been running a lot of rounds thru it too, and not a single malfunction of any kind with any type of ammo.......

The only issue I ever had with my XDs-45 was self induced - I shot it like I'd shoot a 1911, and I was limp-wristing that little gun.  It only took 2 mags to figure out what I was doing, and it stopped the issue by choking up on it.  Limping it cause it to stop the slide from fully going forward.  I'd see it, and have to bump it forward.  Once I held onto it for real, that went away.  It's been flawless ever since.  I'm talking about the XDs-45 here, and not the XD-45. Talking about that little bastard.

9 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

BTW, thinking about putting a threaded barrel (for a can?) on the 3.3" .45 XD-S. Any thoughts?

You MUST post pics!...   :bitchslap::laffs::ttiwwop:

See if you can get a Storm Lake barrel for it, and it should work out.  They were bought by Remington, and I think Remington killed the company...  I think it's gone now...

Edited by 98Z5V

Below are some pics of the Hornady 185 grain XTP HP's.  It took a couple of outings to finally stop one of those bullets effectively w/o a hard surface.  Started out with 2 one gallons jugs of water, then 3, then 4.  Was finally able to catch one after it passed thru 4 jugs with a 2 x 8 behind them.  The bullet barely left a mark on the board so the expansion took place passing thru the jugs of water.  It's reasonable to assume one would see good penetration from one of these bullets for hunting or self defense....

IMG_1463.jpg

IMG_1462.jpg

IMG_1465.jpg

8 hours ago, Cliff R said:

Might get two or three peoples attention since it took 4 gallon jugs of water and a 2 x 8 to stop one!

I'm pretty much duplicating 10mm performance with the 185 grain load around 1100fps......

45 super brass cases are required ! Also heavier springs in your gun .