• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Springfield Armory XD pistols

Cliff R

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought my wife an XD-S 3.3" in .45 ACP 2-3 years ago. She loves it, but generally carries her duty weapon (G19) concealed due to familiarity.

My father-in-law, after shooting the wife's XD-S, bought himself an XD-S in 9mm. My mother-in-law now carries it and likes it.

Personally, I carry an XD Mod.2 3.3" in .45 ACP daily, and couldn't imagine carrying a single-stack. But everyone I know loves their XD-S.

Well I was at my local gun shop at the indoor range shooting on Weds, and a used CMMG AR-9 caught my eye. Well I made a cash offer and while filling out the paper work, the Manager was talking to the Owner explaining the need to stop inventorying the XD lineup, that even with a minimum markup, they do not sell. Customers will rent one to try it out at their range, but  end up buying from a different manufacturer. I have never owned one, and have never shot one. I really do not have a opinion on them good or bad. The circles that I hang out in nobody as one,  nor are they discussed.

If you can get a great deal on one, like the way it looks and the way it shoots why not. Rent one, put a few boxes through it and see if you like it. If it shoots straight and works W/O any malfunctions, half of the problem is solved.  For me, as long as it shoots straight, and works all the time, every time I would carry one if it was my only option at that time.

If your on a tight budget it could be a good way to go. Like a broken record,... for me it has to shoot straight and work all the time every time.  Springfield Armory is a  very reputable company to deal with. I  had a close friend that worked for Springfield as a Rep for approx 10yrs, then went over to Glock.  Between my son and I we have at least 10 Springfield 1911's and several M1A's. If your apprehensive about the Xd's go rent one or borrow one and see if you like it before you buy it.

Which version are you looking at, and what is the price?

Hopefully other members here actually have a first hand opinions to offer on the XD lineup.

Regards

Thanks for the replies and I greatly appreciate the expertise found on here vs "google", U-Tube, etc.  Although not AR related I certainly appreciate any feedback, and I don't trust a lot of U-Tube reviews,  plus I have trouble watching many of them as I'm not the first bit interested in everything they did since reaching puberty, I just want the "meat and potatoes" on the weapon being discussed without all the "drama".

My main requirement is that what I get will "run".  Accuracy and "stopping power" not really important as most likely I'm going to have the purp in a head lock and roll one in thru his eyeball anyhow.......seriously, in my environment for sure it's going to up-close and personal......

I dabbled a bit with some smaller 380's a few years ago when I took the CSI job here and no matter what I bought would jam just often enough they all went bye-bye and I've been carrying a S & W Airweight .38 ever since.   Looking for a similar size package with a bit more firepower, reliable, and quicker to reload, etc..........

Edited by Cliff R

I have 2  9mm and .45 ACP.. easy breakdown for cleaning. I saw the 5 k torture test and was sold. I put thtse condoms on for a better grip. 1 holster is good for both pistols. Hienie ledge straight 8 sights, line up 2 dots. Rack slide with rear sight. 1911 Sig is harder to disassemble with my $hitty hands . I have a Sherpa holster, Bravo concealment holster and modified Crossbreed holster.

I've got the 3.3 and the 4.0 XDS, both in .45 ACP. They're light, balance well, and felt recoil is on a par with my 5" 1911. They shoot better than I can, and I've never had a functioning issue with any of them. I like the short grips because they're easier to conceal. I use my own holsters (I tinker with leatherworking) and I've had no problems. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

I've had an XDs .45 with the 3.3" barrel since they came out.  Bought a 9 for the ex, and she kept that one,  With the exended mag, I can get my whole hand on the grip, and it shoots very well.  With the flush mag, my pinky finger is left floating out in nowhere land, so it had to be wrapped under the magazine for a good grip on the gun.  Initially, I was shooting it/holding it just like I'd do with a 1911, and the slide wasn't cycling all the way  - short-stroking.  That's because I was limp-wristing it.  Choke up on that grip more, and solved that issue.  Just learning the different required technique for shooting a smaller pistol.  No issues with it, and I like it alot.  Not as many mods out there for them as there are for Glocks, but there are still alot of mods available.  Springer Precision and Powder River Precision are two leading companies that offer mods and parts for them. 

Edited by 98Z5V

Cool, feedback greatly appreciated.

I had actually put one on layaway at Rural King couple of days ago when they ran a closeout on the XDS 3.3 mod 2's with a "range kit".  Went ahead and picked it up about an hour ago.

It came with 5 magazines, detachable laser, range bag, etc.  Pouring down rain at the moment but plan on putting a few rounds thru it over the next few days and will report back.   Deb will end up with this one.  I'm eye-balling an XD-M in FDE, which fits me a little better than the single-stack XD-S.  It will probably follow me home this weekend......

I have the XD-S in .45 since it came out and have had no problems with it, great conceal piece when on the motorcycle, also have the XD-M in .40 that usually goes in the truck.

And when I was with the Sheriffs department, they carried full size XD .45's.

So now the wife likes the -M and wants here own for her CC. 

But with all that I have no complaints about any of them. 

@Sisco when you decide to come down for your tour, let me know and we will have a cold one or two.

Edited by mrraley

2 hours ago, mrraley said:

@Sisco when you decide to come down for your tour, let me know and we will have a cold one or two.

Oops! I didn’t make it as clear as I could have. I am passing through the town in Croatia where they are made, and was thinking of trying to get a tour of the factory over there. But it doesn’t look like transportation timing will let me do that. Plus public tours of the place are uncommon. The cold one sounds good though. Maybe try to get down in your area next summer. Maybe drag Trooper, DPete, Unforgiven and Shepp with me.

Edited by Sisco

2 hours ago, ARTrooper said:

The xd-s in 9mm and the hellcat are actually 2 pistols i am looking at for my new main cc and secondary for while on duty. 

Just worked 26 hours of overtime this past week, so soon as i get paid i will be seeing what i want to buy. Other brands are on the list though.

I carry a XDs 3.3” 9mm as my primary CCW. I compared it to the Hellcat and I think I’m satisfied with my 8 and 9 round mags. The extra 1/3” barrel is more beneficial than you can imagine. 

I don’t know where the video is, but it showed the ballistic advantages of a 3.3” vs a 3” (or shorter). The longer sight alignment aside, the additional velocity in the 3.3” barrel guarantees the performance of the hollow point rounds. HP’s need to be traveling within a specific range of speed to perform. Too fast and they break apart. Too slow and they just act like FMJ.

I figure I can always reload, but I can’t add barrel length. If the Hellcat was a 3.3”-3.5”, I would have swapped without thinking about it. If I could go back in time, I would’ve bought the XDs 4” instead.

My XDs is carried with 8+1, and a spare 9 round mag, in an appendix holster. I keep more spare mags in my EDC gear bags. 

"The xd-s in 9mm and the hellcat are actually 2 pistols i am looking at for my new main cc and secondary for while on duty. 

Just worked 26 hours of overtime this past week, so soon as i get paid i will be seeing what i want to buy. Other brands are on the list though."

I looked closely at the Hellcat but like the addition of the grip safety on the XDS.  Cost really wasn't a big motivator but it is over $125 less right now than the Hellcat.  9 plus 1 in a small package is enough firepower for my primary weapons since I'm behind the scenes doing CSI work, not on the front lines dealing with chit-hooks up close and personal on a daily basis. 

If I were back in uniform on patrol I'd be carrying a full size .45 or maybe even a 10mm, with the highest capacity flush fit mags I could find for it......

5 hours ago, Cliff R said:

"The xd-s in 9mm and the hellcat are actually 2 pistols i am looking at for my new main cc and secondary for while on duty. 

Just worked 26 hours of overtime this past week, so soon as i get paid i will be seeing what i want to buy. Other brands are on the list though."

I looked closely at the Hellcat but like the addition of the grip safety on the XDS.  Cost really wasn't a big motivator but it is over $125 less right now than the Hellcat.  9 plus 1 in a small package is enough firepower for my primary weapons since I'm behind the scenes doing CSI work, not on the front lines dealing with chit-hooks up close and personal on a daily basis. 

If I were back in uniform on patrol I'd be carrying a full size .45 or maybe even a 10mm, with the highest capacity flush fit mags I could find for it......

The draw for me was a red dot on a small pistol.

36 minutes ago, unforgiven said:

The draw for me was a red dot on a small pistol.

I originally thought the same thing. Then I realized the distance I’d mostly being using it (sub 20 yards) wouldn’t take advantage of a red dot. I get 1000x more effectiveness from a good laser vs a red dot. My XDs is fit with a Crimson Trace light/laser combo.