• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

In need of advice from seasoned Ar10/LR308 Folks

xd40carrier

Hi all. I'm new to this forum as well as being new to the AR platform rifle. I've been an avid Hunter for 30 years and have everything from .22 to 7mm calibers (2 rifles Chambered in .308 Winchester), bolt, semi, and lever action. Now I know It was probably a stupid mistake on my part, but I decided on a 308 build for my first AR platform. Now for my question, or my request for advise. 

I just purchased an Aero Precision M5 lower receiver. Unfortunately I live in a state where I have to wait 10 days before I can take possession. 

Now, since I am waiting for the 10 days to pass, I started searching for great deals on upper receivers. I found an awesome sale at Palmetto State Armory for a complete Gen 2 upper with BCG, 18" stainless Barrell, low profile 15" MLock handgaurd, and adjustable gas block. The gas system is a mid length system. Got the package for 399 plus tax.

So, what I need to know, is this upper and lower combination compatible. My FFL dealer says I should not have a problem, but I am finding mixed info around every corner I turn. 

Any information is greatly appreciated.

12 minutes ago, xd40carrier said:

So, what I need to know, is this upper and lower combination compatible. My FFL dealer says I should not have a problem, but I am finding mixed info around every corner I turn. 

Any information is greatly appreciated.

No. Don't do it, save yourself the hassle of learning the hard way, don't do it. Buy or build off of a compatible Aero upper, and thank me later.

PSA's own website points out that their PA-10 platform is proprietary and not intended to be compatible with any others.

I couldn't pin a PA-10 Gen 2 upper to an Aero M5 lower to test the upper function.  I had to tear the whole PA upper down, and reassemble it into an Aero M5 upper, just to test it. The front pivot pin went into place, and something was keeping the upper from closing fully, and I couldn't pin the takedown pin.

Don't let "cheap" guide your way on a .308AR build.  It's cheap for a reason.

6 hours ago, xd40carrier said:

My FFL dealer says I should not have a problem,

Ask him if he will back that up, change should to WILL, I doubt very much. Stick with the same manufacturer for upper and lower receivers. Watch for their blem sales, I buy them regular and have rarely been able to find a blemish and when I do it is some miniscule pinpoint in the finish.

I agree about not mixing PSA into the mix. If you want PSA I think they are fine (if you buy them on sale) but I would go ALL PSA. By "fine" I mean worth the price you paid shipped. IMHO PSA "cheap" is due to economy of scale...they make a lot of parts, and buy a lot of the parts they do not make. I kept my eyes open and got my Gen 2 complete lower with magpul furniture and EPT trigger for maybe $159 shipped. Stripped Gen2 uppers, or even uppers with all the parts installed are not avail as far as I have seen tho. 

But FWIW I have pretty much decide to do all Aero Precision going forward. All the parts wanted/needed are avail, and on sale if you keep your eyes open :-).

Having a spare M5 lower around is a perfect excuse to build another gun :-).

Granite Ridge often has some decent deals on upper-handguard combo's.

Bill

Edited by willbird

On 2/19/2020 at 9:39 PM, xd40carrier said:

Now, since I am waiting for the 10 days to pass, I started searching for great deals on upper receivers. I found an awesome sale at Palmetto State Armory for a complete Gen 2 upper with BCG, 18" stainless Barrell, low profile 15" MLock handgaurd, and adjustable gas block. The gas system is a mid length system. Got the package for 399 plus tax.

I missed this earlier - you already bought the PSA upper package?...

On 2/19/2020 at 9:04 PM, 98Z5V said:

I couldn't pin a PA-10 Gen 2 upper to an Aero M5 lower to test the upper function.  I had to tear the whole PA upper down, and reassemble it into an Aero M5 upper, just to test it. The front pivot pin went into place, and something was keeping the upper from closing fully, and I couldn't pin the takedown pin.

Don't let "cheap" guide your way on a .308AR build.  It's cheap for a reason.

Thanks for the input everyone. This has been a slightly expensive lesson learned. From your shared information and reading on this forum as well as talking with a reputable gunsmith, I am now building 2 rifles. The misses wanted a 5.56, but she is now getting a .308 lol. 

I have ordered a stripped lower and parts kit From PSA for the upper I already purchased. 

As for the Aero M5 lower, I have started ordering the parts and pieces from Aero to build up a rifle that is upgradable to my liking. 

Again, thanks to everyone for their input.