• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Owl release

shepp

41 minutes ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

Those are some awesome pictures shepp.

Thank you sir 

27 minutes ago, Sisco said:

A friend took this pic of a nest up by us.

B1136E53-3E3F-4194-8975-68E373811E22.jpeg

Next good day I get I’m gonna access from the other side and see if I can get closer. Crazy thing is it’s in the middle of town 

the yellow x is the old GM plant, the red is near where the nest is and down town is just up river which is pretty cool, the eagle population has exploded down here

E3657A0C-4EBE-44F5-937D-C7BAEF952084.jpeg

Edited by shepp

If you're ever up this way in winter Brackendale( approx 1 hr north of Vancouver) average of 1300 eagles gather, in the summer they spread out to the Gulf Islands.

2 hours ago, shepp said:

, the eagle population has exploded down here

They seem to have adapted to the urban environment here but it doesn't hurt that there are several rivers with salmon runs 

11 minutes ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

If you're ever up this way in winter Brackendale( approx 1 hr north of Vancouver) average of 1300 eagles gather, in the summer they spread out to the Gulf Islands.

They seem to have adapted to the urban environment here but it doesn't hurt that there are several rivers with salmon runs 

When we went to Whistler and Vancouver twice both times we took the ferry out to Vancouver Island and Victoria. One narrow strait had hundreds of eagles fishing both times. Actually think it was in the San Juan's as I think they allow the ferry to take a short cut through US waters, don't they? Is Brackendale north of Horseshoe Cove on the way to Squamish? We have a bald eagles nest 300 feet from our house here on Superior.

Edited by Sisco

5 minutes ago, Sisco said:

When we went to Whistler and Vancouver twice both times we took the ferry out to Vancouver Island and Victoria. One narrow strait had hundreds of eagles fishing both times. Actually think it was in the San Juan's as I think they allow the ferry to take a short cut through US waters, don't they? Is Brackendale north of Horseshoe Cove on the way to Squamish? We have a bald eagles nest 300 feet from our house here on Superior.

The ferry does cut through US waters but not through San Jauns.You are likely thinking of the pass between Mayne and Galiano Isl. Brackendale is 40 min north of Horseshoe Bay and 55 min north of me.

2 hours ago, dpete said:

Its all that good road kill venison they have been dining on.

That’s the thing people don’t realize they are mainly scavengers. It used to be only a winter thing now it’s year round. Few winters back I was about to photograph two eagles on a deer in a field till Mertal and Ethal pulled up behind me and scared them off I was so pissed off

Just now, sagebrush said:

last june in south Dakota on our prairie dog hunt, we had an afternoon that a bald eagle was coming in and doing cleanup while we were still shooting

I'll bet that was an awesome sight!  Free food for that big guy!

@shepp, the little Burrowing Owl girl was out tonight on my way home from work - I always look now, on that corner.  I made the corner and pulled the car up a little, grabbed the camera and walked back - across the street from her.  I had to zoom in, and couldn't tell if I got a decent pic,but it was alright.  I decided to walk  out into the street and try it again, but that was a No-Go - she started to move. Got back in the car, and pulled the car around - she stands there when cars are making that turn, all the time...  She didn't like me sitting there, and popped up off the ground...  She only flew about 20 feet away, so I zoomed in again, and got her Mean-Muggin' me...  :thumbup:

P1080693.thumb.JPG.dacb75033b7bd811693cc31c73f13c08.JPG

P1080696.thumb.JPG.6b0fc69a253e272daa1dd8a62732fda0.JPG

P1080697.thumb.JPG.e632ba5495fda5c21ec6967c21ab17b4.JPG

On 5/10/2020 at 7:44 PM, Cunuckgaucho said:

we have a huge eagle run during the salmon run but I've never stopped to photograph them on the way to the shooting pit.. dosn't bother the birds. might have to shoot some bald eagles  this year. last year I counted 27  in one tree on my way to the pit. there are hundreds on the river. 

Edited by sketch
no not killing eagles da!