• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide
Sign in to follow this  
shepp

Owl release

There’s a raptor rehabilitation facility in my town. today they released a barred owl who was hit by a car last fall. They also had a couple screech owls that can’t be released they use in presentations 

88521A08-9F3F-4A62-B032-0455B2B1FB4C.jpeg

19CB6BEC-E095-4837-B3E3-BED8DBDF804C.jpeg

D88310D1-22DF-4544-9C17-4CA9207FB50D.jpeg

BD29A048-06BE-4EF6-BC51-659F87274390.jpeg

CE37C67B-6F20-42D0-84A3-42AD49CCC826.jpeg

34008DB0-A18A-4437-91B1-BE754CC2E41E.jpeg

Edited by shepp

Beautiful creatures. good to see someone getting them back in the woods. those screech owls make an eeerrrriiieee sound.

Owls are straight-up badasses, but somewhat looked aside when people talk about birds of prey. They're fucking silent, flying.  Amazing creatures, just love 'em.

1 minute ago, 98Z5V said:

Owls are straight-up badasses, but somewhat looked aside when people talk about birds of prey. They're fucking silent, flying.  Amazing creatures, just love 'em.

Hell yea they are! Stealthy MFers, And camo is amazing half the pictures I took were shit cuz it blended in so well with the trees as it flew away.  I’m not gonna lie I welled up alittle when it flew away! 

think I’m going to contact them and see if I can volunteer some time. 

Thats a great project bro. Ive snuck up on some owls in the wild and they are amazing! Had one try to rip my head off duck hunting in corn! silent and deadly. 

Check out this little tiny desert badass.  I didn't know what the fuk he was before this day, but I researched him afterwards - Burrowing Owl. Makes sense afterwards - his hole was right there.

I pulled up to a stop sign, middle of nowhere - and this little fucker is mean-muggin' me big time. I was the one that was in the wrong neighborhood - it was HIS hood... :hail:  :banana:

P1080034-1.thumb.jpg.2a41befde94d4ccfefb5aa470b890fd3.jpg

P1080035.thumb.JPG.83d5ec3113ef058d2a548685f4e3b53c.JPG

That's a tiny little Can O'Ass Whoopin' right there - ready to beat the shiit out of me. He didn't care...  Owls rock. :hail:

Owls ARE badass. Love the creatures. Beautiful, silent deadly. Same traits as the perfect girl friend. Well, maybe not deadly, but close.

6 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Check out this little tiny desert badass.  I didn't know what the fuk he was before this day, but I researched him afterwards - Burrowing Owl. Makes sense afterwards - his hole was right there.

I pulled up to a stop sign, middle of nowhere - and this little fucker is mean-muggin' me big time. I was the one that was in the wrong neighborhood - it was HIS hood... :hail:  :banana:

That's a tiny little Can O'Ass Whoopin' right there - ready to beat the shiit out of me. He didn't care...  Owls rock. :hail:

Those guys are so cool!!! 

when we were coming back from getting rob unstuck there was a barn owl at one of those watering holes too. Lady said yesterday the barn owls here are all gone, and probably never have them agin in wisconsin again because they used to live in the trees of fence lines. Most fence lines are pretty much all gone now to make room for more crop land 

7 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Oliver BC about 4 hrs east of Vancouver is known for its wine along with the burrowing owls. There is a great vineyard there called Burrowing Owl, in the picture  you can see similar ground cover to some of what I saw in Arizona.

1280px-Canada_-_BC_-_12_-_the_lovely_win

Trumpeter swans yesterday, it’s officially spring in wisconsin 

2DB2B5D2-62F1-4520-9E74-2EB07C21F8A4.jpeg

D1CB4907-C020-438A-A728-64ED0EAAD7BC.jpeg

Edited by shepp

On 3/8/2020 at 12:36 AM, 98Z5V said:

Back in the day we used to do the PD firearms qualifications in a pit that the city landfill guys had dug out. One morning I'm running a firing line and the whole dirt bank colapsed, exposing two of those burrowing owls! Those birds were PISSED!

2 hours ago, 392heminut said:

Back in the day we used to do the PD firearms qualifications in a pit that the city landfill guys had dug out. One morning I'm running a firing line and the whole dirt bank colapsed, exposing two of those burrowing owls! Those birds were PISSED!

That's one badass little package, right there, brother.  They do NOT fuk around. I have absolutely ZERO intentions of ever thinking that "they're cute, let's keep one as a pet!" :laffs:

Yeah.  Fuk that. 

I saw my little Burrowing Owl today coming home from work - same spot.  That's his den, for good.  I'll try to get another pic of him in the next few days.  His head was poking out of the hole when I turned the corner there, so I turned around.  When I pulled back up, he popped out of that hole and took up the same defensive posture as the pics above.  He's a badass!...   :banana:

Back in the 1920’s in northern Minnesota a game warden was found dead with a slashed carotid artery in his neck. Investigation turned up he had worn his favorite homemade muskrat fur hat to work that day. Apparently a Great Horned Owl had  struck the hat and ended up severing his artery.

Back in the early 60s, I had one that swooped down out of a tree near to my front door and skimmed his talons through my hair. No harm, no foul (fowl?) but i was particularly careful not to get too close to that tree from then on.

On 4/1/2020 at 11:03 PM, 98Z5V said:

I saw my little Burrowing Owl today coming home from work - same spot.  That's his den, for good.  I'll try to get another pic of him in the next few days.  His head was poking out of the hole when I turned the corner there, so I turned around.  When I pulled back up, he popped out of that hole and took up the same defensive posture as the pics above.  He's a badass!...   :banana:

Are they down close to where you live? I’d love to see them next time im down 

1 hour ago, shepp said:

Are they down close to where you live? I’d love to see them next time im down 

This little guy is at the end of the main road, right by the house here, brother.   :thumbup: