• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

RZR or artic cat

Magwa

the wife and I are thinking on a side by side for riding the back country we went with friends and borrowed a can am (no thanks the inside of the cab was hot as Fuk from engine heat one friend has a RZR the other a Artic cat wildcat1000 we are looking at the RZR 900 or the Artic cat wildcat 700 I am not doing this for speed or racing I am to old for that poop just want a dependable ride to pack up some gear on and hit the back country we have thousands of miles of old logging roads and trails 50 inch maximum width... so what say you wise men...

I know a guy who knows these things well....he’s a little preoccupied today probably, but he’ll have your best answer. I would lean on the side of the RZR simply due to the number of them out there. I’m wrong a lot though, so get the Artic Cat. 

Around here the John Deere Gator and The Polaris Ranger side by sides are more popular with the local ranchers and farmers for general and recreational use. In lower price range the Massimo Boss 400 comes complete with a winch, they are single cylinder and rather loud, there are several around here. We do have a lot of hills and gullys and wooded areas. Unless you are really tech smart , most of your service problems require a dealership with excellent service departments. I had a Kawasaki Mule with a liquid cooled engine, It had so many Japanese electronic safety chips and switches and the electrical system it was pitiful.  I won't buy one again.

Of course everyone that sells the UTVs will claim theirs is best.

Around here the Polaris Razr and Ranger rules. I am thinking of the Ranger, because I want a Plow and a hardtop/cab to help plow my drive. Just for fun, I would go with the Razr.  Arctic Cat are fine too, but when it comes to a motor, a little extra displacement NEVER hurts. Especially going up the side of a mountain.

On 8/24/2020 at 4:51 AM, Magwa said:

the wife and I are thinking on a side by side for riding the back country we went with friends and borrowed a can am (no thanks the inside of the cab was hot as Fuk from engine heat one friend has a RZR the other a Artic cat wildcat1000 we are looking at the RZR 900 or the Artic cat wildcat 700 I am not doing this for speed or racing I am to old for that poop just want a dependable ride to pack up some gear on and hit the back country we have thousands of miles of old logging roads and trails 50 inch maximum width... so what say you wise men...

No Arctic Cat.  Don't even think about it.  Textron bought AC a couple years ago, and we had to put new Textron stickers on all the inventory.  Then, they realized that they trashed the brand name, and sent us new "Arctic Cat" stickers to put on all the inventory a year later.  THEN, they fucked over all their dealers, and started selling to Bass Pro Shops - under some Bass Pro new brand name "Tracker" - at WAY cheaper OTD prices than dealer-cost, as an Arctic Cat DEALER...  

We dumped them, as a dealer, 2 years ago, because of that. Almost every single Arctic Cat Dealer in the US dumped them, over the same thing.  There are very few places that you can still go, and get them serviced or repaired.  AZ went from about 50 dealers, down to 3 dealers. I still get called about parts that are showing in my inventory, that were sent back to the company when they fucked all their dealers - and those parts don't show in MY inventory?...  Desperate dealers, trying to hang on, and get parts from an old system that shows I have them - and I have none.

Stay away from the Arctic Cat, at all costs.  You'll never get support, never find parts (there are no more dealers), and Bass Pro doesn't do service work unless they sold that machine, and they track it by VIN. 

Don't buy the RZR 900 if it's a 2012 or older.  Big changes in that line for 2013 models, and they were big improvements.

Lemme know what else you got, brother.  I'm here for you @Magwa   :thumbup:

DON'T buy a RZR 800, if one pops up.  They're a PITA to work on.  Doing clutch work sucks, the air filtration system sucks, and even changing spark plugs sucks - I shortcut a sparkplug change by taking the headpipe off the cylinder head, to get the rear plug.  Even changing the oil sucks, and the oil filter dumps oil all over your skidplate, and there's nothing you can do about it.  I removed the skidplates on those damn things just to do an oil change, because it's less mess, and less for me to clean up afterwards.  No RZR 800s, brother.  If it's a 900, make sure it's 2013 or newer. 

well damn OK what do you suggest .... I will never be able to afford a 20 k machine I need something in the 10 to 12 k range and I spent over 200 miles in a can am and it was loud and hot as fuk in the cab and that was with windshield folded down and back curtain up..... mostly what you see up here are RZR,s 800's and 900,s but that last two years it has been more Arctic cat trail,s  I will see what the dealer situation is here I know they still sell a crap load of snowmobiles around here that are arctic Cat... I will look and see what else their is...

Polaris:  Any 2013-up RZR 900 is a great machine, way easier to work on than the other ones.  Polaris Rangers are the utility rigs with the dump beds, but they're some of the most maneuverable rigs in existence.  A RGR 900 would do what you want, well, even though it has a dump bed.  With a 2" lift and 1" wheel spacers, you can clear 30" tires easily.  Yamaha Rhino 700s are EFI (over the previous Rhino 660s, carbed).  You can't break a Rhino drivetrain - they're tough, and go anywhere you point them. 4WD, lock the front diff, go.  Kawasaki Teryx 750 and 800s are good, and have a toughass drivetrain, like Rhinos do.  The 800s were drastically improved over the 750s, for everything maintenance.  Warning about a Teryx - doesn't matter which one you get - changing a drivebelt is a real motherfucker, no matter which one it is... 

Suzuki never made a side-by side.  Can Ams are electrically/electronically pretty fucking complicated machines.  They don't have "electrical circuits" for the most part - it's all CAN-BUS communication from electronic part to electronic part.  If you don't have the dealer-only BRP "BUDS" diagnostic system, you're not finding out what's wrong with those rigs.  Even their jet skis and snow machines are like that...   It's easier to work on a modern Porsche than it is to work on a Can-Am/BRP rig. 

That's my $0.02 on the whole side by side state of affairs right now, brother...  :thumbup:

EDIT - There's a Yamaha YXZ-1000R out there, 5 speed manual and a real clutch pedal to push.  Great rig.  They have a Sport Shift version of it that's a paddle shifter, no clutch pedal.  Great rig as well. They just came out in 2016, so prices will still be high.  There's a Honda Talon, too, with Honda's ESP (Electric Shift Program), that's damn near a manual, but that's a newer rig, too, so prices on the used market will still be higher... 

Edited by 98Z5V

My Rhino, even being the old 660 carbed model has been really good to us. Is comfortable to drive around and had gone some pretty crazy places. A little more power would be nice as I said, but you don’t necessarily have to have it. You can pick those up relatively cheap. Probably half your budget. Find some folks up there with a few different ones and see if you can drive a couple to get an idea of what you’re really after. 

Edited by DNP

I’m late to the party but I’ve always liked Polaris, they’re popular around here. I’ve beat the piss outta my 550 sportsman and my ex’s dads 500 only thing I’ve had to do is the usual, plugs, batt, oil, air filter. I did up grade my clutch and belt a while back. 

32EBD4E1-2161-44F1-B98B-6626DA3A8828.jpeg

Edited by shepp

Thank you 98, and all the rest of you just the info i have been looking for I have a honda foremen electric shift I have had it for 14 years it has been rock solid never any problems, I have driven Yamaha wolverine, Can Am, and my buddy has a Arctic cat trail 700, the Yamaha is a 60 incher as is the can am the arctic is a 50 incher I for certain want a 50 incher so I think we will look for a RZR 900 2013 or up, right now there is zero on the used Market maybe a better market this winter  thanks for all the great info....

10 hours ago, Magwa said:

Thank you 98, and all the rest of you just the info i have been looking for I have a honda foremen electric shift I have had it for 14 years it has been rock solid never any problems, I have driven Yamaha wolverine, Can Am, and my buddy has a Arctic cat trail 700, the Yamaha is a 60 incher as is the can am the arctic is a 50 incher I for certain want a 50 incher so I think we will look for a RZR 900 2013 or up, right now there is zero on the used Market maybe a better market this winter  thanks for all the great info....

Mike I have that same Honda Foreman. They are like the Energizer Bunny. Just keep going and going. My son put 4,000 miles on it in high school, said he would always tow his buddies hot ATV’s home after they broke down. He said it was “the AK 47 of the ATV’s”. Might take issue with his simile, but the idea was right. I too am starting to look for a side by side, so this was s great thread. Thanks everyone, good info!:thumbup:

19 hours ago, Magwa said:

we will look for a RZR 900 2013 or up, right now there is zero on the used Market maybe a better market this winter

If I get one used, and it's a nice rig, I'll lay that thing aside for you, brother.  I'll have it pulled, until you could get here - and I'd make sure they know that we only need to pay the bills on it - not make money. 

Hey, it's my way to talk you into a road trip down here, right?...   :banana::laffs:

Come down to Fall Shoot with Eric - leave Fall Shoot with Eric towing a rental trailer with your new RZR 900 on it - back home to you...   :lmao:

I'll do what I can, brother, rest assured...  :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

4 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

If I get one used, and it's a nice rig, I'll lay that thing aside for you, brother.  I'll have it pulled, until you could get here - and I'd make sure they know that we only need to pay the bills on it - not make money. 

Hey, it's my way to talk you into a road trip down here, right?...   :banana::laffs:

Come down to Fall Shoot with Eric - leave Fall Shoot with Eric towing a rental trailer with your new RZR 900 on it - back home to you...   :lmao:

Hell my man you never have had to talk me into coming your way I am just working around life and I would be thrilled to have you find a good used machine , I just have to finish my mission here with the folks they are 92 living with us and wife still works so I am the keep watch on em guy drive to the store, etc just got my Moms husband over cancer at 92 but he has other issues and bless her heart Mom does not know what day it is but she hangs in there trying..... when this mission is done I will be free to travel and visit you will get sick of me then... lol thanks

Sisco yeah this thing is a beast this is a whole elk on here with me ..... it has saved me a ton of back pain...

IMG_20171011_140030386_HDR [1280x768].jpg

Edited by Magwa

On 8/29/2020 at 1:20 AM, 98Z5V said:

Hell its a good deal shippings really isn’t that bad 

On 8/29/2020 at 4:09 AM, Magwa said:

Hell my man you never have had to talk me into coming your way I am just working around life and I would be thrilled to have you find a good used machine , I just have to finish my mission here with the folks they are 92 living with us and wife still works so I am the keep watch on em guy drive to the store, etc just got my Moms husband over cancer at 92 but he has other issues and bless her heart Mom does not know what day it is but she hangs in there trying..... when this mission is done I will be free to travel and visit you will get sick of me then... lol thanks

Sisco yeah this thing is a beast this is a whole elk on here with me ..... it has saved me a ton of back pain...

IMG_20171011_140030386_HDR [1280x768].jpg

We ran into this one 2 weeks ago on the golf course! I left my ball where it was and took the penalty stroke!!! Lol!!!

20200821_134926.jpg