• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Gun Tec

billymagg

I just installed two 12" Guntec handguards.  One on a buddy's 6.5 Grendel and one on my 223 Wylde.  They use a proprietary barrel nut wrench or you can make one using a 1 3/16" Sunex crowfoot.  Just grind the jaws of the crowfoot narrower to fit the barrel nut and grind the gap between the jaws wider.

The rifle and handguard

1845555606_11152012471.thumb.jpg.872253339bbf1143f519b243aa408f49.jpg

1777530806_11152012481.thumb.jpg.7d4904510c5de285bda54097757831b5.jpg

My barrel nut wrench

199694123_11152012451.thumb.jpg.6fcf9529c50ee5caa188f24c25a01cb2.jpg

518151781_11152012461.thumb.jpg.35ed85da356dec0cf000ca8c6e34ede4.jpg

11 hours ago, billymagg said:

I haven't had any luck finding a Wilson Combat handguard, the GunTec appears to be the same design, maybe they make Wilson? anyway, has anybody had any experience with GunTec? thanks

Wilson Combat has their TRIM rails on a blowout, because they're not making them anymore.  Around $80.  10" and 12" available.  Buy an extra pic mount rail section when you do it, because they're proprietary. 

Gun Tec is good, but Gun Tec does NOT make any WC handguards.  Not the same.  Last I looked, Gun Tec ONLY does Armalite pattern, and DPMS LOW pattern - they don't offer anything at all for DPMS High pattern. 

11 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

Wilson Combat TRIM is drying up, only the 10 inch DPMS and 12 in. AR-10 left, no rail sections, just one with each rail. I should grab another couple 10 inch for those shorter builds.

Guess I literally bought the last 12" TRIM last night, then.  Hope they didn't mis-count, and I get one...   The 4-slot pic rails are still available, though, right here:

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Picatinny-Rail-Panel-4-Notch-TRIM-Direct-Mount/productinfo/TR-TRIM-RS4/

3 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Wilson Combat has their TRIM rails on a blowout, because they're not making them anymore.  Around $80.  10" and 12" available.  Buy an extra pic mount rail section when you do it, because they're proprietary. 

Gun Tec is good, but Gun Tec does NOT make any WC handguards.  Not the same.  Last I looked, Gun Tec ONLY does Armalite pattern, and DPMS LOW pattern - they don't offer anything at all for DPMS High pattern. 

So my Gun Tec will NOT work on my Wilson Billet set??

1 hour ago, billymagg said:

So my Gun Tec will NOT work on my Wilson Billet set??

Is your Wilson set on the DMPS High plane, DPMS Low, or Armalite AR-10 plane?

What is the exact Gun Tec rail that you bought?  It's either Armalite AR-10 (different threading for the barrel nut than DPMS), or it's DPMS Low.  That's all that Gun Tec makes.

Time to start researching what you have, and what you bought.

I can tell you this much - the WC TRIM rail that I have mates up perfectly to the Aero M5 upper receiver, which is a DPMS High pattern...  Deductive reasoning tells me (1) that the WC rails match their own uppers, and that (2) the rails are mating to the DPMS High...   :popcorn:

Edited by 98Z5V

12 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

What is the exact Gun Tec rail that you bought?  It's either Armalite AR-10 (different threading for the barrel nut than DPMS), or it's DPMS Low.  That's all that Gun Tec makes.

I can tell you this much - the WC TRIM rail that I have mates up perfectly to the Aero M5 upper receiver, which is a DPMS High pattern...  Deductive reasoning tells me (1) that the WC rails match their own uppers, and that (2) the rails are mating to the DPMS High...   :popcorn:

I bought the one that mimicks the 3 sets of two screws around the circumference of the hand rail like the Wilson Combat, I'll try to give Veriforce a call?? I'm rather certain the Wilson WC-15 Billet set is DPMS High pattern, I have NO reason to doubt you my friend...

12 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

oh gosh, I was freaking out Bro, but I'm building a small frame billet AR, lol! I'm building the 300 HAM'R, so I'm good!

10 hours ago, billymagg said:

oh gosh, I was freaking out Bro, but I'm building a small frame billet AR, lol! I'm building the 300 HAM'R, so I'm good!

Damnit!   Now it all makes sense!>..   :laffs::lmao::banana:

My rail on my 12.5" Grendel is a Gun Tec Air-Lok.  Badass little rail.   :thumbup: 

2 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Damnit!   Now it all makes sense!>..   :laffs::lmao::banana:

My rail on my 12.5" Grendel is a Gun Tec Air-Lok.  Badass little rail.   :thumbup: 

Yes it does my friend, say a serious prayer for your old fart Billy Magg, I've found an amazing 73 Z for 35K,, I can afford it, "Bossette" is having a COW,, so say some serious prayers for a brother trying to buy a "bucket list" old school ride, no rust, air, power steering and brakes, NO RUST, and lots of original paint.... Yes it is indeed a "pooch", and it needs a complete "Hotchkiss" bottom end, and it has new polyglass tires??? WTH, anyway, its gorgeous.. its in the top two after 5 years of serious searching.... anyway, I would hate to miss another one...

On 11/15/2020 at 4:58 PM, jtallen83 said:

Wilson Combat TRIM is drying up, only the 10 inch DPMS and 12 in. AR-10 left, no rail sections, just one with each rail. I should grab another couple 10 inch for those shorter builds.

Dried up, indeed - read below...

On 11/15/2020 at 5:12 PM, 98Z5V said:

Guess I literally bought the last 12" TRIM last night, then.  Hope they didn't mis-count, and I get one...   The 4-slot pic rails are still available, though, right here:

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Picatinny-Rail-Panel-4-Notch-TRIM-Direct-Mount/productinfo/TR-TRIM-RS4/

So, that damn rail was "IN STOCK" when I pulled the trigger on it.  Figured I'd check on my order tonight, since I haven't heard a PEEP from Wilson Combat about this order...

So, I log in, check my recent orders... 

1289479784_WilsonCombatFuqdUp..thumb.png.1a87a99620b3f86f5ce1f0f4da52bcde.png

Here's the "contact us" message that I sent them...

This rail was in stock according your website, when I ordered it.  Figured I hadn't heard anything from you for shipping, so I logged in tonight to check what's going on...  Rail discontinued, never gonna be delivered - but NO CONTACT from you guys at all?!  Are you serious?   You're not even going to reach out to me, and tell me there's a problem with my order?  Zero email, zero phone call, nothing.  

Let's not forget that it was IN STOCK when I made this order.  Crickets from you, on this. Make Wilson Combat better, even during COVID, and talk to your customers.

Email me, and tell me what's going to happen with the rest of this order.  I'd appreciate that - reaching out to the customer...

Thanks for your time.

I have a SIMPLE way for them to solve this, but I'll give them ONE DAY to contact me - they have my email, and my phone number, let's see what comes of this.  IF they call or email, the simple answer is "This was in stock when I ordered it.  Period.  You have the "Armalite 12" rail in stock - and it's the same rail, but with a different barrel nut threading. You DO have the DPMS-based 10" rail IN STOCK.  Here's what you do, Wilson Combat - you take that 12" Armalite RAIL, mate that fucker to a barrel nut from your 10" DPMS rail package - and I have the 12" rail that I ordered, that YOU said was in stock...

Let's see how this plays out. Wilson Combat can redeem themselves...  Or blow off the buyer. 

Edited by 98Z5V

11 hours ago, unforgiven said:

I saw this and called Wilson combat and they said they have 10" handguard and 4 rails going to ship today. This will work with M5 upper receiver will it not? I called CS they answered right away. They are central time zone.

It's on my Aero M5 upper right now, brother.  It works.  :thumbup:

They DID email me today.  I pitched the proposal of "making" me a DPMS-threaded 12" rail.  We'll see how that goes. 

On 11/15/2020 at 6:12 PM, 98Z5V said:

Yes Sir, and I was able to buy a 12.6" small frame Trim this morning and an enhanced bolt release,,, also some 300 HAM'R on the way...

Dang 98, I hope this has a happy ending for you Brother, I'm still a little pissed that I had to "gunsmith" the channel for the safety detent on my billet receiver...

Edited by billymagg

10 hours ago, billymagg said:

Dang 98, I hope this has a happy ending for you Brother, I'm still a little pissed that I had to "gunsmith" the channel for the safety detent on my billet receiver...

They're doing it - taking a barrel nut out of a DPMS 10", combining that with the Armalite AR-10  12" rail, and sending it to me.  :thumbup:

32 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

They're doing it - taking a barrel nut out of a DPMS 10", combining that with the Armalite AR-10  12" rail, and sending it to me.  :thumbup:

Awesome, I've got some 300 HAM'R on the way! now I need a trigger, lol. Dammgummit, I had NO idea there were so many parts in an AR, anyway, I'm waiting on the Odin Works upper receiver vice block and that 12.6" small frame barrel nut and hand guard popping up on Wilson's sight last night

Other than that huge half axed machining burr in the safety detent channel, (how's that happen Bill?), wouldn't allow the detent to touch the selector, and jammed up at the top of its travel! sharp drill bit on vice grip, with a dowel in the selector channel, I hated to do it, and I didn't get ugly with it, and removed a minimum amount of flashing, not pretty, but it travels smoothly now.

Anyway, this is crap load of fun, except for the pain in the axe finding parts, and the crap load of money said parts require to purchase..

Anyway, good for you 98 for calling Wilson, and suggesting how that might help you  and good for Wilson for making it happen...

Like you, I am tickled pink at buying the last fluted 18" Tactical Hunter barrel in 300 HAM'R, that thing is freaking gorgeous, and looking down the bore is like looking down a cannon barrel!

anyway, that gorgeous barrel should NOT be covered up with a long ugly handguard! I cant do it, I WON'T do it!

Edited by billymagg

9 minutes ago, billymagg said:

Like you, I am tickled pink at buying the last fluted 18" Tactical Hunter barrel in 300 HAM'R, that thing is freaking gorgeous, and looking down the bore is like looking down a cannon barrel!

Their AR barrels are amazing.  Pure perfection.  I had a gas port sizing issue with my .260 Rem barrel, but I bought that thing as soon as they announced it.  0.070" gas port, needed to be 0.080".  I punched it up - flawless operation, with any ammo I toss at it.  That barrel from them now wears an 0.080" gas port diameter.  They watch, and they listen. 

My other barrel from them is my 16" .338 Federal barrel, and that thing has been flawless from the get-go.  They do FINE work. 

Next up from them for me is their 16" .358 Win barrel.  That's happening. That's all about what this last order to them was about.   :thumbup:

Left to right:  .243 Win, .260 Rem, .308 Win, .338 Fed, .358 Win:

image.jpeg.9ac4355882783ad978e0ac0d12836a71.jpeg

The .358 Win will complete those others that I already have - then I'll still need the 7mm-08...   Wilson Combat makes that barrel, too...   :laffs:

Edited by 98Z5V

Just now, 98Z5V said:

Their AR barrels are amazing.  Pure perfection.  I had a gas port sizing issue with my .260 Rem barrel, but I bought that thing as soon as they announced it.  0.070" gas port, needed to be 0.080".  I punched it up - flawless operation, with any ammo I toss at it.  That barrel from them now wears an 0.080" gas port diameter.  They listen. 

My other barrel from them is my 16" .338 Federal barrel, and that thing has been flawless from the get-go.  They do FINE work. 

I absolutely concur sir, their stuff is also gorgeous, which I know you will agree is a big plus, but pulling the trigger on that large frame .308, its so nice, and you walk up check out that group, just can't help smiling!

But! , ARMOR TOUGH,,,,,, AIN'T! that crap scratches off like bubble gum... look's kool, it just ain't tough! but what's underneath is always gorgeous, and that's the real point.

anyway, I'm talking and not listening, where's that little shorty gonna live boss??