• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Brass ejection angle / Buffer

FredHilkey

One of my older brothers is a FFL dealer and amateur builder . We were talking about the angles that brass is ejected from rifles . My Remington semi .270 elk rifle , ejects brass out at about the 4 o'clock position . Back in My military days in early '80's , My M-16 ejected brass roughly between the 4 and 5 o'clock position . My , New to Me , New Frontier Armory C-10 , with 20" barrel , ejects brass about the same distance as the .270 and the M-16 I use to use , BUT it ejects forward , roughly I would say the 2 o'clock position . Brass ends up about 4 feet forward of the bench .

Shooting either 145 grain or 150 grain bullet weights , not hot loads / maximum powder , but not weak on powder either . He mentioned that buffer weight can effect the angle . No idea what the current buffer weigh's , Can pull the spring and measure later today . Thus based upon this I know to be Limited info. , Should I look for a heavier buffer or ??? Does not damage the brass with the forward ejection , thus not sure I NEED to change anything since it Seems to function quite nicely as it is .

Thought's , Idea's and Suggestions are Greatly Appreciated .

Thank You , Sincerely

Fred H.

3 hours ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

As long as it reliably functions and has no other issues, (beat up brass, excess felt-recoil, etc...) I would also say to leave it alone.

This. Also, is it hitting the deflector? Look for brass marks there and it could explain it for you. Still, it works, nothing to worry about 

I'm with these guys on the .308ARs - doesn't matter where it goes, as long as it gets the fuk out of the gun.  If it's ejecting so hard that it's smashing case mouths so that I can't reload them - even run them through a resizing die - then I do something. 

However, you CAN TUNE YOUR EJECTION PATTERN WITH BUFFER WEIGHT. 

If your gun isn't causing you any problems, Fred, then don't fuk with it.  If it feeds, extracts, ejects, and cycles the next round - on any ammo that you can feed it - you've built a damn good gun.

If you want to change that ejection pattern a little, then heavier buffer weight will move it more rearward, in an ejection pattern.  It's up to you if you want to mess with it.  You've posted zero gun-details, and that's the first start - post up all your gun details. 

Edited by 98Z5V

On 2/5/2021 at 10:06 PM, 98Z5V said:

I'm with these guys on the .308ARs - doesn't matter where it goes, as long as it gets the fuk out of the gun.  If it's ejecting so hard that it's smashing case mouths so that I can't reload them - even run them through a resizing die - then I do something. 

However, you CAN TUNE YOUR EJECTION PATTERN WITH BUFFER WEIGHT. 

If your gun isn't causing you any problems, Fred, then don't fuk with it.  If it feeds, extracts, ejects, and cycles the next round - on any ammo that you can feed it - you've built a damn good gun.

If you want to change that ejection pattern a little, then heavier buffer weight will move it more rearward, in an ejection pattern.  It's up to you if you want to mess with it.  You've posted zero gun-details, and that's the first start - post up all your gun details. 

Rather than repost weapon information , Here is the link to when I did a introduction .
Orygun or Oregon ? - Introductions - 308AR.com Community

Did pull the buffer and it is a H weight carbine class , ( short ) . Brass does not appear to be damaged in any way . Although I have kept the brass , I do not have a reloading die ( spelling?? ) for .308 / 7.62 . Have one for my .270 , plus press , etc... . So guess I may look into getting  die , but with primer shortage , etc. .... , that may be ??? After seeing the buffer decided WTH and ordered a H3 carbine buffer . If it functions , Great . If not , I will sell it to my brother in Washington for double what I paid for it . 😂

Fred H.

10 hours ago, FredHilkey said:

Did pull the buffer and it is a H weight carbine class , ( short ) . Brass does not appear to be damaged in any way . Although I have kept the brass , I do not have a reloading die ( spelling?? ) for .308 / 7.62 . Have one for my .270 , plus press , etc... . So guess I may look into getting  die , but with primer shortage , etc. .... , that may be ??? After seeing the buffer decided WTH and ordered a H3 carbine buffer . If it functions , Great . If not , I will sell it to my brother in Washington for double what I paid for it . 😂

Fred H.

How long is the buffer that you pulled out?  2.500" long?  What specific H3 Carbine buffer did you order, and was it an AR15 part?  Because those are 3.250" long. 

We can still work with this, and fix it-and you keep that H3 buffer.

Don't have email while on the road working , that is on my home computer , But measurements via a digital caliper was same for new one I purchased as the one I pulled out . Was listed in AR10 parts list from company I ordered from , not AR15 list . Pretty sure it was 2.5" ??? , Was juggling measuring , looking at website and playing with 9 y.o. Grandson . Wrote it down on a sticky stuck to my screen at home . 
My concern is not really the angle of ejection , but seems like I was reading here that although to light a buffer and spring may work , it can cause premature wear of parts , Thus if this brings it more into what " Should be " right without any issues , Then I have bookmarked a website that many here have recommended , Heavy buffers ?? . Then I would utilize them for both a buffer and correct spring .
What I did find when pulling the buffer was that is was a Palmento State armory ( spelling ?? ) . Although lower is stamped New Frontier Armory multi caliber , 7.62 / .308 , I now question who really made it ??? Being in trucking , I go to many factories that produce products , but are packaged according to WHO it is going to . Same product , but in a store brand carton or National brand carton . Seems like I had seen a article that Aero makes a lot of lowers , but are stamped for whoever is purchasing a given amount / run ??? 

I try to glean as much info as I can fit into this old feeble brain by reading through all the threads  , As it is very obvious that Most , if not All here have Far more knowledge in the proper function of these rifles as well as correct parts and best , most reliable parts / sellers . Thus I Greatly Appreciate every one's input .

Fred H.

Miss-typed buffer length I think ?? Asked better half tonight what sticky note said and said she thinks it read 3. something , ( Not bad hand writing , she did'nt have her glasses on and was headed for bed ) . I do remember that it was same as one I ordered , just new one was a H3 .

Fred H.

22 hours ago, FredHilkey said:

Miss-typed buffer length I think ?? Asked better half tonight what sticky note said and said she thinks it read 3. something , ( Not bad hand writing , she did'nt have her glasses on and was headed for bed ) . I do remember that it was same as one I ordered , just new one was a H3 .

Fred H.

Details matter, Fred.  Measure that thing when you get home - the one that's coming out, AND the one you ordered to go back in there.  I'm thinking the one that's coming out is 2.500" long - and the one that you want to go in there is 3.250" long.  And that's not gonna work with the receiver extension that you have.

Hit it when you get home... 

First picture , Old Buffer . Second is New Buffer / Holy Cr** , Can Easily feel the weight difference . Third ( 3rd ) picture is tape measure down the buffer tube to end . Fourth is entire length of buffer spring and last is the end of spring to better show length . Although measurements are easy , Sure wish I had a scale . My powder measure scale dang sure does not go to 3 ounces , let alone 5 ounces . Don't think I wish to hold something to my shoulder that uses that much powder 🤣

Hopefully I can get a few rounds through it later today to see if it still works .

Fred H.

old buffer.jpg

new buffer.jpg

tube.jpg

entire spring.jpg

spring end.jpg

Hmm , Don't have this EDIT thing figured out yet .

As one can see , Old buffer a tick shorter than New . Weapon was Used when purchased . Although in Excellent condition , don't know how many rounds through it before , Were as I have put 50 through it myself . So is buffer length difference Wear ?? I imagine that the plastic end kind of takes a beating , Especially if buffer is to light . Which brings Me to My next question . Been reading a lot about the Spring . Heavier gauge , More Coils , etc.... , Old Man brain is on overload . Thus if buffer to light , Could that spring also be questionable ??? 

Actually doubt I will be able to get any rounds off , even if I wanted to for a month or so . Working on preventative maintenance on my money maker today , tomorrow and Saturday , besides the rest of the Honey do list . Thus I have time to learn much more from the Experts Here , Which I Greatly Appreciate Everyone Here for Sharing their Knowledge .

Sincerely ,

Fred H.

On 2/5/2021 at 10:22 AM, Matt.Cross said:

The only real important ejection metric in the large AR is whether or not the brass is making it clear of the gun. If you get that reliably, be thankful and spend your time learning to realize the full potential of your weapon.

So Matt I probably should have listened to your advice, but I like to see those empties flying out of there, lol.

Just now, Matt.Cross said:

To each their own brother, different people want different things from their large AR and I get that 100%.

I'd just like the 308 to throw them 1/2 as far as that little 300 Ham'r, and good luck Fred, I would be happy if mine was throw empties 4 feet anywhere! so maybe you're not in to bad of shape, lol! I do have a Sprinco orange spring on order as per 98's suggestion,,, so we will see, my Grandson's here for parts of 3 more days, so I doubt I get back to the range either! hope we get a good range report from you, you will be pleased with your heavy buffer...

On 2/9/2021 at 8:35 PM, 98Z5V said:

Details matter, Fred.  Measure that thing when you get home - the one that's coming out, AND the one you ordered to go back in there.  I'm thinking the one that's coming out is 2.500" long - and the one that you want to go in there is 3.250" long.  And that's not gonna work with the receiver extension that you have.

Hit it when you get home... 

As You can see in previous post , Buffer is pretty close to old , although a tick longer . What really concerns Me now though is the spring . Especially in reading another thread , Were a Chart was shared from HeavyBuffers .My springs is not even close to those measurements listed ?????? So no I am like WTF ??

Fred H.

FRED!!!   @FredHilkey - disregard my previous recommendation for the Sprinco Orange spring.  Completely.

Now that details are up here - and why they're so important in the first place - you have a receiver extension that's 7 5/8" internal depth, and you're running buffers that are 3.250" long.  Obviously, that's a pattern of the Armalite AR-10 Carbine recoil system, right there.  You just have a shiit spring in there, and that one is weird, both in relaxed length, and coil count.

You have two choices for a spring.  Armalite EA1095 spring, or the Sprinco RED spring.  Both will do the job, whichever you can find in stock. 

Edited by 98Z5V

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

FRED!!!   @FredHilkey - disregard my previous recommendation for the Sprinco Orange spring.  Completely.

Now that details are up here - and why they're so important in the first place - you have a receiver extension that's 7 5/8" internal depth, and you're running buffers that are 3.250" long.  Obviously, that's a pattern of the Armalite AR-10 Carbine recoil system, right there.  You just have a shiit spring in there, and that one is weird, both in relaxed length, and coil count.

You have two choices for a spring.  Armalite EA1095 spring, or the Sprinco RED spring.  Both will do the job, whichever you can find in stock. 

I figured something was really whacked since I could not find that spring measurement on any site ??? Wonder it worked , but then I wonder How long it Would of ??????

Okay , Seen that Sprinco red on a site , but was leary since many places don't show measurements  , ( Would really help if they did ) .. Now to go through interent history and find the site again 😁😂

Thank You For Your Assistance . It is really Nice to Meet People like Everyone Here .

Fred H.

55 minutes ago, FredHilkey said:

Ordered Both a Red and a Orange . Not Sure Why . Highly Doubtful I use the Orange . Better to start with red and go from there .

Again , Super Thanks for the Help .

Fred H.

Whichever one you don't need, just let me know.  I'll pick it up from you for what it cost you, plus the shipping to me.  I support what I state, and you don't need to be out any money for that.

45 minutes ago, Rsquared said:

Well.......he says that now. :lmao:

You've noticed that... Uhhh...    we're already affecting his finances...   :banana:

Orange spring has arrived , but still waiting on red spring . Did finally install a new Tanker style muzzle brake I purchased off of GB months ago , from a dealer North of Me .

Don't want to shoot it now till I get the red spring first . Then can go to orange if needed . 

So did go back and wipe down the casing's I shot previously . The first 11 had No marks . the rest of the Brass and then the Steel case ammo I shot afterwards , all had that " Tick " mark / scratch / dent , about halfway down the case . Also seen some scratches around the neck portion , but no real denting , like middle of case . I know when it started per say , in that the first 11 no marks , then 19 brass with marks and 20 steel case with marks . Steel case were last 20 through rifle . Did not have any issue's during the 50 rounds , Only used 1 mag. A 20 round , that was loaded 18 , 12 , 10 , 10 . So " Thinking " mag was not the issue .  Orange spring ordered last weekend from Texas and arrived today . Red spring coming from Florida .

As a control , am going to use same mag. , with same loading pattern , for first the Red spring . If that provides a better looking case , then will stick with it .

Fred H.

casings.jpg