• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Orygun or Oregon ?

FredHilkey

First post , Old guy although not retired yet , likely never will . Like to spend to much on the Grandkids to want to retire . Have lurked for awhile , reading , absorbing information . Never Built any type rifle , although did help my Dad build a muzzle loader kit and still have the pistol kit he also had but never started before his passing . Always wanted a " AR " type rifle , actually I wish I had bought a H&K before the first Ban way back . Issue I had though with the Battle Rifles was the cocking lever being on the left side . As a left handed shooter , that would be like a monkey humpin a football . Not Pretty . Back in the early '80's , military duty and the M-16 , showed Me that , 1) I could easily operate these type rifles even left handed and 2) That any type brass deflector was a P.O.S. . Better to have the brass fly by My right ear than to drop into my right sleeve , (still have a pretty 5.56 brass image scar on inside of right elbow ) .
Last fall , fell into a deal on auction site , a New Frontier Armory C-10 , .308/.7.62x51 Demo with a 20" barrel . Less than 30 rounds , only a couple of faint scratches inside mag. well . Even the FFL dealer who did the transfer was looking at the paperwork were it said " Used " and looking over the rifle . 

Have ran about 50 rounds through it now . Started zero at 25 yards , then 100 yards , then out to 200 yards . Ran a ballistic table for the rounds I was using and adjusted for rise / drop , so now it zero's to 400 . Not really made for " MOUT " or what ever it is called now , urban room clearing anyway . Barrel length would be a pain . But for long range , It it pretty decent . 

Picture is when I first received . Have since added different scope mounts to be able to place a reflex site on top of scope . Won't post much , reason being that I lack knowledge of building . Know " How " they function but why this or that does not work , is beyond my brain power . 

121014100_10214507380192023_5794790431844456712_o(1).jpg

7 hours ago, FredHilkey said:

As a side note about brass ejection , this is pretty nice since it ejects forward about 6 feet and to the right about 8 to 10 feet . Better than My Remington Elk rifle , which even My brother will not stand on My right when hunting together 🤣

Well hell...he should only have to dodge a single case....you aren’t the guy from the deer video cranking off ten rounds while the deer just stood there...are ya?

welcome from San Diego. Sounds like you got a decent deal. 

13 hours ago, DNP said:

Well hell...he should only have to dodge a single case....you aren’t the guy from the deer video cranking off ten rounds while the deer just stood there...are ya?

welcome from San Diego. Sounds like you got a decent deal. 

No , No multi shots . Average shot distance is between 50 and 75 yards . Most of the area We hunt in is rather " Thick " .. Thus 1 shot is virtually all You get . Still though , He has seen My scar and does not want something similar on His left cheek 🤣

At the time it was a decent deal , $690 . With shipping and Transfer fee , Had $750 into it . Now with current prices , It was a Steal .
It was mentioned about Barnes Bullets . My Elk rifle is a Remington .270 semi . My bullet of choice is the Barnes Original 150 grain . 

My 2 older brothers with the last elk I got a couple of years ago .

Thank You All for Welcoming Me . Hope to learn more from all of You .

elk hunting brothers.jpg