• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

98's 6 ARC 12.5" Pistol

98Z5V

48 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

I knew that's what you're doing, and it doesn't bother me - just don't be lazy, make your own thread, detail your own specs on your own gun, and answer your own question about your own gun.  This thread is now about my own gun, and about your own laziness.  It's simple.  :thumbup:

Nobody every asks me questions about my guns. I am lonely in my own threads. ☹️

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ARTrooper said:

Nobody every asks me questions about my guns. I am lonely in my own threads. ☹️

That's because you never start any of your own.  And you never give any gun details.  Ever.  Maybe if you did, you'd have some traffic.  This is a learning curve for you, so I'll help you out, since you need baby-steps to accomplish this.

Here's your thread, on your 6 ARC, right here - YOU get your lazy ass in there and fill in the blanks.  That's not my job here, it's yours... Enjoy.

Edited by 98Z5V

Back on track now, about my own gun - the optic came in today.  Athlon HELOS BTR Gen 2, 2~12x42.  First Focal Plane Illuminated MIL reticle.  Still waiting on the mount, but it'll be here in a couple days, barely in time for the Shoot in 1.5 weeks.  But enough time, barely.  Down to the wire on this one, but made it.  I learned from the 12.5" Grendel, and taking it to 850, that the 4x scope on that was tough to do. It was doable, and repeatable, but 4x sucks at 850, and you need to be on it to do it.  Feasible, doable, but FOCUS!  Gotta be in the zone, not an everyday, anyday thing, with that combination. 

Looked and looked for something 1~6 or 1~8, meal-dot reticle and exposed, marked turrets, in 1/10th clicks...  nothing out there unless you're dropping major bucks for an EOTech or something wild.  So fuk it - let's look beyond what my initial thoughts were.  Athlon was the answer, with this scope, and this thing is pretty badass.  I'll get more into the scope, once I have the mount, level it, and shoot it, but it is THE TICKET for this gun. This little 12.5" barreled fucker WILL be a 1000-yard gun:hail:

https://athlonoptics.com/product/helos-btr-gen2-2-12x42-dmr-scope/

Helos-BTR-GEN2-21242-angle-MIL.jpg

AHMR2-FFP-IR-MIL-212PWR.png

It's so close, it's not even funny. I'm a mount away...

IMG_0269.thumb.JPG.14480d6f62d714c7e298e3fb15aa87e2.JPG

Edited by 98Z5V

3 hours ago, Rsquared said:

That looks like a nice optic dude. The price doesn't hurt either.

OH, BROTHER  - THIS BITCH IS BAD!!!

Damn, this is a nice scope, and it's gonna be perfect for this rifle/pistol...   I got the Athlon mount today - placeholder for the LaRue that 4~6 weeks out. It's a 30mm 20 MOA mount - that I might not take off this gun.  30-ish yard laser zero so far, and corrected turrets, and I've still got 23 FULL MILS of up-travel in this one afterwards...   That LaRue mount might find another home - if only I had another gun that could use one. 

My normal scope position is usually "mount the eyepiece at the back of the upper receiver" but this one is different, because it's short as fuk.  I've got that scope about 1/2" forward from what I normally do - and it is ON.    It's weird-as-hell to think that this 12.5" gun might be my new 1,000-yard gun.  We're gonna see - real soon - how all this shakes out.  This thing is badass. Leveled this scope 2 hours ago, and this gun is ready to go...

IMG_0285.thumb.JPG.4572122a13a1f723bef4fd8c105b077c.JPG

IMG_0286.thumb.JPG.c567391e3bf86f15c4411a026c5fb6d7.JPG

Edited by 98Z5V

On 3/23/2021 at 5:48 PM, Rsquared said:

That looks like a nice optic dude. The price doesn't hurt either.

I yanked that scope out of GunPusher John for 425 green doll-hairs, plus tax, brother.  I didn't pay MSRP for it, nowhere close.  Common street price that I've found is $499, haven't seen anything lower.  I think John has a crush on me.  If I move to Skull Valley, I'll probably have to break up with him, and he won't take it well...   :laffs::banana:

This scope is badass, and perfect for this gun.  Locking turrets, setable Zero-Stop, glass is very, very clear all the way out to the edges, the reticle is FUCKIN' PERFECT for this gun, exposed marked turrets in 1/10th MIL clicks, super sharp clicks, illumination is low enough on 1 that it's easily usuable at night...   I can't say enough about it, honestly.  I'm sure I'll have more to say after it's been shot - but it's already been out in the yard at night, for initial zero with the laser, and running it through it's adjustments.  It's a keeper.

I didn't know if the scope length would work out - 11.8" long, so it's a Footer...  but it's perfect on there, now that it's mounted.  Short, for it's magnification range, but still a damn foot long.   It's 25.4oz, so a pound and a half - acceptable for it's magnification range.  The Athlon 30mm 20MOA mount is pretty damn nice, actually.  That 20 MOA is a huge bonus, gives me 23 MILS of up-travel in the elevation turret, and the mount is very well made.  I don't think the LaRue LT-158 with it's 10 MOA - will go on there, once it comes in.  There's a HUGE IF in there, because of a plan I have for that mount.  We'll discuss that later...   I think, with the Athlon mount, I added 2lbs to the gun - but it's a short gun, and lighter than normal, and a shorter barrel with quick swing-weight - so it's easy to handle.  I'll get a weight on it sometime, and get that info in here.

I need to get this thing out and shoot it, and get the MagnetoSpeed on it with my handloads (and see if this thing even likes them, in the first place).  I won't get to gather any data on it until the Shoot next weekend.  Once I get the data, and actually shoot it out to 1k, then I'll know more on whether I'm putting that LT-158 on it when it gets here.  That 158 is coming in with another part, and that other part is the perfect plan for this gun...   I'm just sayin'...

Amazon.com: Larue Tactical LT742-30 30mm Tijicon RMR Backup Sight Adapter  Ring Half Mount: Sports & Outdoors

Edited by 98Z5V

21 minutes ago, shooterrex said:

I found 80 rounds to order. Twice what I paid locally (if you call driving 2 hours local). But I have  ammo and more brass.

I found an almost limit-less supply of Hornady Match 6 ARC brass brother - for a trade.  I have to trade Hornady .308 Win Match brass for it.  If you can find some Hornady .308 Match brass once-fired that you can trade out, I'll cut you in on the deal.  I'm gonna start with him at a 1:2 ratio - I'll give you one piece of the .308 brass for 2 x 6 ARCs...   If he doesn't fall for that, I'll go 2:3 ratio.  You get 2 .308 pieces for 3 pieces of 6 ARC.  That's my final offer...   :laffs:

If he plays hardball, I'll go 3:4 ratio, and give him 3 pieces of .308 for 4 pieces of ARC brass...  But that's extreme measures...  :bat:

Edited by 98Z5V

57 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

I found an almost limit-less supply of Hornady Match 6 ARC brass brother - for a trade.  I have to trade Hornady .308 Win Match brass for it.  If you can find some Hornady .308 Match brass once-fired that you can trade out, I'll cut you in on the deal.  I'm gonna start with him at a 1:2 ratio - I'll give you one piece of the .308 brass for 2 x 6 ARCs...   If he doesn't fall for that, I'll go 2:3 ratio.  You get 2 .308 pieces for 3 pieces of 6 ARC.  That's my final offer...   :laffs:

If he plays hardball, I'll go 3:4 ratio, and give him 3 pieces of .308 for 4 pieces of ARC brass...  But that's extreme measures...  :bat:

I'll see bwhat I can dig up. Most.of my brass is lake city.

30 minutes ago, shooterrex said:

I'll see bwhat I can dig up. Most.of my brass is lake city.

I'll see if he'll take LC brass, brother.  I'll pitch him that my Mk11 load with the Hornady 178 ELD-Ms will ONLY be loaded in LC brass.  Forever.  I got your back.  :thumbup:

1 hour ago, dpete said:

Hmmm, Hornady .308 Win Match brass?  I know someone who has a few in a box with lots of its kin waiting to go south and west.  (Looks around all innocent like)  :cool:

I need to get you hooked UP!  I'm on my ass on that side of it, brother.  I will take care of this.  My PP-fuking has turned me upside down, for "normal operations..." 

• 1 month later...
On 3/23/2021 at 12:47 AM, 98Z5V said:

Back on track now, about my own gun - the optic came in today.  Athlon HELOS BTR Gen 2, 2~12x42.  First Focal Plane Illuminated MIL reticle.  Still waiting on the mount, but it'll be here in a couple days, barely in time for the Shoot in 1.5 weeks.  But enough time, barely.  Down to the wire on this one, but made it.  I learned from the 12.5" Grendel, and taking it to 850, that the 4x scope on that was tough to do. It was doable, and repeatable, but 4x sucks at 850, and you need to be on it to do it.  Feasible, doable, but FOCUS!  Gotta be in the zone, not an everyday, anyday thing, with that combination. 

Looked and looked for something 1~6 or 1~8, meal-dot reticle and exposed, marked turrets, in 1/10th clicks...  nothing out there unless you're dropping major bucks for an EOTech or something wild.  So fuk it - let's look beyond what my initial thoughts were.  Athlon was the answer, with this scope, and this thing is pretty badass.  I'll get more into the scope, once I have the mount, level it, and shoot it, but it is THE TICKET for this gun. This little 12.5" barreled fucker WILL be a 1000-yard gun:hail:

https://athlonoptics.com/product/helos-btr-gen2-2-12x42-dmr-scope/

Helos-BTR-GEN2-21242-angle-MIL.jpg

AHMR2-FFP-IR-MIL-212PWR.png

It's so close, it's not even funny. I'm a mount away...

IMG_0269.thumb.JPG.14480d6f62d714c7e298e3fb15aa87e2.JPG

Kinda got enthralled by the idea of a 1X-quite a fewX scope, settled for VORTEX OPTICS - STRIKE EAGLE 1-8X24MM RIFLE SCOPE though to start with :-).

The only thing I didn't like about that scope was - no exposed turrets.  No markings to dial with.  I've looked at it numerous times, hoping they'd change it, but they haven't.  I'm a dummy, and need to look at numbers when dialing...  :bitchslap:  :laffs:

• 1 year later...

I love mine.  I'm running my dope chart for my 12.5" Grendel on it, and it's pretty damn close out to 500 yards.  I haven't done a good speed test on it yet, but need to, so it can have it's own dope sheet made up and stored away. 

It's quite the surprising little gun.  Don't fear one - jump right into it.  :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve got a 6ARC with a 12” monster barrel. I’ve only taken it to the range once to function test with an adjustable gas block. I threw an old TA11 on it and easily hit IPSC out to 700 with 108’s. I didn’t bring the chrono but used 2400 fps as an estimate and it worked spot on for dope using the Hornady App.

I’m very interested in hearing about your results and data taking it out further. I was planning on putting putting on NX8 1-8x with the new reticle once they’re released but may change my mind depending on how things go past 700 for you. 

Thanks for sharing your progress.

https://imgur.com/eRF0NiI

2 hours ago, GeorgeMac said:

I’ve got a 6ARC with a 12” monster barrel. I’ve only taken it to the range once to function test with an adjustable gas block. I threw an old TA11 on it and easily hit IPSC out to 700 with 108’s. I didn’t bring the chrono but used 2400 fps as an estimate and it worked spot on for dope using the Hornady App.

I’m very interested in hearing about your results and data taking it out further. I was planning on putting putting on NX8 1-8x with the new reticle once they’re released but may change my mind depending on how things go past 700 for you. 

Thanks for sharing your progress.

https://imgur.com/eRF0NiI

George, make in Intro Post, and tell us about yourself.  :thumbup:

https://forum.308ar.com/forum/22-introductions/

• 1 month later...
On 10/2/2022 at 5:03 PM, GeorgeMac said:

I’m very interested in hearing about your results and data taking it out further.

Next couple of weeks, George, I'll have alot of data for you.  At the last match, I shot my 16" precision gun again, and it did very well for me.  After that match, we always hit the local place right outside the range, and rip up some burgers and bloody marys.  we decided a couple days ago that we're shooting SBRs for the next match, just to make it more interesting, and see what happens at distance... 

So, December match, 12.5" ARC is going out there, and battling the ranges/distance that we have.  Longest we've had in a match is 710 yards, since I've been shooting it for the last 1.5 years-ish, and last month we shot 660 yards.  We'll see what "Pint-Sized Precision" can do...  :thumbup::laffs:

Next weekend, I'm working on speeds on the chrono, to get my dope chart straight for that next match.  Details inbound...