• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

98's 6 ARC 12.5" Pistol

98Z5V

4 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

My time is worth way more than that - to me. You need to find your own ammo, or buy reloading equipment. I'd double-charge you at a minimum just for components, and that's on a JoeBama price scale.  That's not personal - it's truth.  It's too much trouble even FINDING the stuff that I need.

Even finding reloading components right now - powder, primers and projectiles - is a challenge.  I'm damn sure not spending my time searching, buying, and shipping - stuff to make you ammo. 

Don't take that personal.  Buy a reloading press, and commit the time to making ammo.  Sometimes, finding the time isn't easy.   :thumbup:

I was going to in 2020 but then Covid hit and I couldn’t even find primers and brass I was finding was $1.20 a piece or more, if I could find that. 

I am hoping to reload someday. Might be able to use my neighbor’s equipment. Any recommendations on .260 rem and 6mm arc dies?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

@willbird is getting it going - but I know @DayWalker damn near has a whole gun already...  and he's dragging his feet... 

Doesn't matter, though - he's still WAY FASTER at building a 6 ARC, than his Dad is at building a Mk12...  I'll just leave that right there and let it ferment...   :popcorn::laffs:

Now that’s funny. I do have all the parts, and it’s mostly assembled. Still in the same state it was, just needs the gas block attached and the barrel nut tightened down. It’s been a crazy start to the year, and with all ammo being priced like it’s gold plated, it fell down the priority list. Been meaning to finish it though, in fact I was just thinking about it last weekend. 

I still need to decide on optics for it. I have that Nightforce which would do well on there, but I need a different mount for it. It’s currently set up for my REM 700. If I steal that from the REM, then I need to replace it with something. Decisions decisions. Part of my issue is the political climate, you know that shitt will get ugly very soon. Way I see it, put every penny you have towards new stuff and parts for new guns before they get completely outrageous. Stuff like scope mounts and optics themselves will still be available after that insanity. 

14 hours ago, ARTrooper said:

I was going to in 2020 but then Covid hit and I couldn’t even find primers and brass I was finding was $1.20 a piece or more, if I could find that. 

I am hoping to reload someday. Might be able to use my neighbor’s equipment. Any recommendations on .260 rem and 6mm arc dies?

Hornady or RCBS or Lee...   Some of the Lee die packs already come with the Factory Crimp Die right in the pack.  For the .260, I'm running RCBS dies, plus the Lee Factory Crimp Die.  It should be mentioned - I put the Lee Factory Crimp Die for every caliber that I reload, right into the die box with the rest of the dies - no matter what brand I'm using.  For the 6 ARC, I'm running the Hornady Custom Dies.  I've got a mix of the Hornady, Lee and RCBS.  I've got more RCBS than the others. 

11 hours ago, DayWalker said:

I still need to decide on optics for it. I have that Nightforce which would do well on there, but I need a different mount for it. It’s currently set up for my REM 700. If I steal that from the REM, then I need to replace it with something. Decisions decisions. Part of my issue is the political climate, you know that shitt will get ugly very soon. Way I see it, put every penny you have towards new stuff and parts for new guns before they get completely outrageous. Stuff like scope mounts and optics themselves will still be available after that insanity.

For the 18" 6 ARC, I went with the Athlon Ares BTR Gen II HD scope, in 2.5~15 (meals, of course), and I don't regret that for a second - this is a badass scope, and works perfectly on that rifle.  Same scope that I have on the 16" Grendel Mod H, but that one on the Grendel isn't a Gen II, just the original version.  The major difference is the all-stainless internals on the Gen II, and a badass zero-stop setup on the Gen II.

You would receive this, look through it, and say, "Well THAT certainly doesn't suck!..."   :banana:  Don't look at the MSRP and say, "Maybe later...."   Street price is less.  This is the little hooker right here:

https://athlonoptics.com/product/ares-btr-gen2-2-5-15x50-aprs5-ffp-ir-mil-hd/

They offer the exact same scope in MOA, if you swing that way...   :laffs:

https://athlonoptics.com/product/ares-btr-gen2-2-5-15x50-aplr4-ffp-ir-moa-hd/

Leave that NightForce on the Rem 700, brother - it does well on that rifle.   :thumbup:

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

Hornady or RCBS or Lee...   Some of the Lee die packs already come with the Factory Crimp Die right in the pack.  For the .260, I'm running RCBS dies, plus the Lee Factory Crimp Die.  It should be mentioned - I put the Lee Factory Crimp Die for every caliber that I reload, right into the die box with the rest of the dies - no matter what brand I'm using.  For the 6 ARC, I'm running the Hornady Custom Dies.  I've got a mix of the Hornady, Lee and RCBS.  I've got more RCBS than the others. 

just ordered a set of lee dies "pacesetter" comes with the factory crimp die. going to load some 30-30 150gr. for the mdl 94 win. 19th century assault weapon

11 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Ok I will see what I can find. I looked before but with no experience, I had no idea what to choose from. 

#1 Safety Measure for reloading, IMHO, is powder.  Always empty your powder drop,what ever type you use, after you're done with that cartridge and powder.  Then, always CHECK your powder drop and verify it's empty and clean, before you fill it up and start dropping powder on a series of cartridges.  If you follow that, you'll never, ever drop 25.2 grains of pistol powder into a 5.56 case...   That would be bad.  Very bad.

You cannot "double-charge" almost any rifle case, no matter what you hear on the internet.  Not possible, as near as you have to fill the cases to capacity.  If you drop a second charge into a rifle case, you're gona KNOW you did something wrong, because powder is gonna be spilling out everywhere.  That's when you STOP, and figure out what happened, even though it's gonna be obvious when you see the mess...

Wipe your plastic and metal powder drops out with dryer sheets every so often - that removes static electricity from the equation, completely. 

Edited by 98Z5V

On 2/17/2021 at 12:48 AM, 98Z5V said:

@willbird is getting it going - but I know @DayWalker damn near has a whole gun already...  and he's dragging his feet... 

Doesn't matter, though - he's still WAY FASTER at building a 6 ARC, than his Dad is at building a Mk12...  I'll just leave that right there and let it ferment...   :popcorn::laffs:

I am still waiting on my rail, it did ship though :-).

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered a LaRue LT-158 mount the other day, and it went to backorder-status the day after.  Called them yesterday, and it's about a 4~6 week wait (average).  Might be faster, might be slower.  I'll use an Athlon 20-MOA mount in the meantime - I wanted to try one anyway.    Once it comes in, I'll get the scope mounted up and update this thread. 

These are the times we face... 

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, ARTrooper said:

I am hijacking Tom’s thread.

Not a good idea, so start your own.  There's a simple reason for this, and it's IDIOTS AND FUKTARDS.  Years from now, I'll have some dipdunk dumb fuk asking me questions about where I got the rail for my 12.5" 6 ARC build, and I'll tell him where I got it.  Then he'll tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about, because that's not the rail that I have on my gun.  I'll proceed to tell him that he's totally fucking stupid, and I know what I built my gun out of, and he'll then insult me, telling me I'm a dickhead, and send me a pic of...   What?

YOUR RAIL.

This will all go down in PMs, of course, like it always does...

Make your own build thread.  I'm not answering questions about your stuff, years from now.  I've already been doing it for years, just for these reasons.  It's not that hard to make your own thread.  Then, you get to answer questions and comments about YOUR BUILD  - in your own thread.  And not clutter up mine with your information.

Take the leap, make the plunge.  Start your own topic on your own gun. 

Thanks.  :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

18 minutes ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

Whether or not he will is yet to be seen.

2 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Make your own build thread.  I'm not answering questions about your stuff, years from now.  I've already been doing it for years, just for these reasons.  It's not that hard to make your own thread.  Then, you get to answer questions and comments about YOUR BUILD  - in your own thread.  And not clutter up mine with your information.

I expected what he did and totally understand and respect his reasoning.

🤣 seems like you always get the specials on your threads. 

so much for me just being lazy and just showing pics. Lol. I get it. I will make my own thread when my lower comes in tomorrow. Actually using a lower from another rifle. Just wanted to show that it wasn’t going to be another 3 year rifle and feel apart of the cool guy 6mm club. 😂

28 minutes ago, ARTrooper said:

🤣 seems like you always get the specials on your threads. 

so much for me just being lazy and just showing pics. Lol. I get it. I will make my own thread when my lower comes in tomorrow. Actually using a lower from another rifle. Just wanted to show that it wasn’t going to be another 3 year rifle and feel apart of the cool guy 6mm club. 😂

I work for what I build - I don't get any "specials."  The only "specials" that I get are the SPEDs that show up years later, asking me a question about some other guy's gun that's posted in my thread.  There's a few reasons for that - I explain my guns and parts and performance, in detail, in my threads.  Smart people that stumble upon them years later don't have any questions to ask me - it's all spelled out in the thread, everything.  Secondly - the stupid people are only looking at pictures, and not reading details - then arguing with me about MY BUILD, but sending me a pic of some other guy's gun - that was in my build thread...

About the ONLY time that I'll post one of my gun pics in someone's build thread is when they're asking something like "What DOES that 13.5" barrel look like with a 12" rail on it?!!!?"  Then, I post a pic of that gun - AND it's details.  Other than that, you won't see me bragging up a build in someone's build thread - for the reason's I've directly mentioned.

I guarantee you that I'll have some shiithead asking me years from now why my 12.5" barrel is so long, in a PM. And I'll get a pic of your gun.  And, I'll tell him he's DIRECTLY a fucking idiot for not reading the details.  And then I'll get reported to the Mods and Admins, because I'm such a jerk, and there's no reason they should have such a mean person as a member of their message board, and their WHOLE BOARD should be cancelled because they condone this from their members.  It's already happened, in the past.  For Realz.  I just tell the Mods and Admins to re-direct them right back to my inbox, and I'll settle it. 

I'm just gonna tell him that is was:

so much for me just being lazy and just showing pics. Lol.

:thumbup:

Stop being lazy.  Making a new thread ain't that damn hard. 

Edited by 98Z5V

1 minute ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

That must be this guy.

EwD-ashXAAEk9fs.thumb.jpeg.36b6f43b8e5843bc2eb0b3c03019fb10.jpeg

THESE RIGHT HERE!!!   THESE are the kinds of gun-nerds that like to PM and argue with me about my own builds!.. 

If they weren't so fucking stupid, it would be funny!...   :bitchslap:

12 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

I work for what I build - I don't get any "specials."  The only "specials" that I get are the SPEDs that show up years later, asking me a question about some other guy's gun that's posted in my thread.  There's a few reasons for that - I explain my guns and parts and performance, in detail, in my threads.  Smart people that stumble upon them years later don't have any questions to ask me - it's all spelled out in the thread, everything.  Secondly - the stupid people are only looking at pictures, and not reading details - then arguing with me about MY BUILD, but sending me a pic of some other guy's gun - that was in my build thread...

About the ONLY time that I'll post one of my gun pics in someone's build thread is when they're asking something like "What DOES that 13.5" barrel look like with a 12" rail on it?!!!?"  Then, I post a pic of that gun - AND it's details.  Other than that, you won't see me bragging up a build in someone's build thread - for the reason's I've directly mentioned.

I guarantee you that I'll have some shiithead asking me years from now why my 12.5" barrel is so long, in a PM. And I'll get a pic of your gun.  And, I'll tell him he's DIRECTLY a fucking idiot for not reading the details.  And then I'll get reported to the Mods and Admins, because I'm such a jerk, and there's no reason they should have such a mean person as a member of their message board, and their WHOLE BOARD should be cancelled because they condone this from their members.  It's already happened, in the past.  For Realz.  I just tell the Mods and Admins to re-direct them right back to my inbox, and I'll settle it. 

I'm just gonna tell him that is was:

:thumbup:

Stop being lazy.  Making a new thread ain't that damn hard. 

I was refer to special people bugging you about your threads. Don’t get so defensive you pansy. 

10 hours ago, ARTrooper said:

I was refer to special people bugging you about your threads. Don’t get so defensive you pansy. 

I'm not being defensive, and I'm not a pansy.  It's insulting that you get a giant case of being lazy, and just toss your shiit in my thread.  :thumbup:

Really now, how hard is it to click that button that says "Start New Topic"...???...

It's right here, on every forum, and subforum...  It's position never changes...  it's always in the same place...   :thumbup:

2038286928_StartNewTopic.thumb.png.eab1668314018e5a64206644c4247587.png

On 3/17/2021 at 10:42 PM, 98Z5V said:

I'm not being defensive, and I'm not a pansy.  It's insulting that you get a giant case of being lazy, and just toss your shiit in my thread.  :thumbup:

Really now, how hard is it to click that button that says "Start New Topic"...???...

It's right here, on every forum, and subforum...  It's position never changes...  it's always in the same place...   :thumbup:

2038286928_StartNewTopic.thumb.png.eab1668314018e5a64206644c4247587.png

I am just trying to get you riled up now. 

I am sorry it bothered you so much with me posting my rifle in your thread. 

12 hours ago, ARTrooper said:

I am just trying to get you riled up now. 

I am sorry it bothered you so much with me posting my rifle in your thread. 

I knew that's what you're doing, and it doesn't bother me - just don't be lazy, make your own thread, detail your own specs on your own gun, and answer your own question about your own gun.  This thread is now about my own gun, and about your own laziness.  It's simple.  :thumbup: