• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Magpul PRS Gen 3 vs Luth-AR vs ?

BigNate

OK- so I'm planning to yank and store the factory buttstock on the AR10(T) and replace it with an adjustable buttstock.   I'm looking a the Magpul PRS Gen 3 and the Luth-AR MBA-1.   I've sent an e-mail off to Luth-AR to confirm that the MBA-1 is the right model for my AR 10.   

Question 1 - am I missing a competitor that I should be considering?   I don't want to do this a second time.  

Question 2 - I'm thinking about the stuff below - what am I missing?

• The Luth-AR is about $60-$70 cheaper than the Magpul - but once you add the rail for a monopod for $35 that gap closes a bunch
  • The Luth-AR claims to be about 1/2 the weight of the Magpul.  I will be shooting this gun almost exclusively from a bench or a shooting mat (prone) and the gun is already so heavy that it'll never be something that I'm planning to lug through the mountains with me - so weight is not a real issue for me and in some ways heavier may actually be better (when taking friends / relatives shooting and letting them shoot this, the heavier it is the more fun it will be for folks newer to shooting).
  • Both appear to have the adjustability that I'm looking for and as near as I can tell both are well made. 
  • The Luth-AR comes from what "feels" like a smaller American company - no clue if that is true.  If it is I'd rather support them than the larger company (if all else is equal). 
  • I can find the Magpul in OD-green and the furniture on the rifle is OD Green so that is a plus.  I don't see that as an option with Luth-AR  If I end up having to get black I can live with it - I'm a "function over form" guy... 

Looking for experience and wisdom here... 

...and..... GO!   🙂

I originally was looking at both you listed above. But since the original A2 Stock my AR10T came with was the perfect height for scope alignment, I opted for the Magpul fixed rifle stock. I'm extremely happy with it & the storage capacity. HUGE IMPROVEMENT over the A2 stock & only cost $65! A lot lighter than the PRS stock too. I did end up adding the thicker Magpul recoil pad ($15 I think)

I have the Luth MBA-1 on my AR10T carbine. It works okay, but I needed to Dremel the cheekpiece front a bit to get proper clearance for the charging handle. Weight WAS a factor in my choice, as the 10T carbine is the same weight as the standard AR10 rifle, and is not so nose heavy as the 10T rifle, and I wanted to keep those handling characteristics. To be honest the original stock served me just as well.

Edited by Sisco

Luth is a small company that has been around for years. Their products are top shelf. I have not tried either of those stocks on my rifles. I have installed the Magpul 1 st gen PRS on several rifles for others. You should be well served by either. Green would match the rest of the rifle.

Randy Luth used to own DPMS, and sold it to Remington, and started his own company - so, small company, yes...   and no. He's been in this business since 1986, and really is a pioneer in the Large Frame AR market, with the LR-308.  He knows what he's doing.

The PRS-3 is a heavy bitch - but heavy isn't your concern, and yes, the additional weight will help with recoil mitigation.  Also, the PRS-3 can mount to a rifle receiver extension, or a mil-spec carbine receiver extension.  The Luth can't do that.

The Luth is lighter, by half that weight.

Another option, and what I used on my .260 Rem, is the AB Arms Urban Sniper Stock.  Fully adjustable, goes on a carbine receiver extension, and had 2 inches of LOP adjustment once you mount it in place.  And it's even lighter than the Luth. 

https://www.abarms.com/A-B-Arms-Urban-Sniper-Stock-USS-p/abauss.htm

I went with the optional buttpad for it, and it works great.  I'll never change that stock out.

https://forum.308ar.com/uploads/monthly_2018_09/image.png.89d707356d99b52eb2bf340e7fb62810.png

Edited by 98Z5V