• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Dry Fire Practice Aid

jtallen83

For cats. Does your cat get bored? Lay around a lot? Getting a little bit of a gut? I found some help if your willing to risk a TV, they have cat videos, videos for cats, I started out putting on some bird feeder flics, cat would sit and watch and I didn't mind the bird chirping for a background noise while working on the computer. I ran across this channels animated videos one day and and thought what the hell, hit play and started looking at emails, next thing I hear are these machinegun like taps on the TV, I look up to see the cat in ambush pose just vibrating, the little mouse pops out and she is just a blur smacking it as it goes across the screen. At least a couple times a day and always first thing in the morning she sits under the TV until I give her 10 minutes of practice. My TV started showing a shadow in the corner a couple years back so I am not real concerned if she breaks it but it hasn't gotten any worse after months of daily abuse. I gotta get a shot timer so I can see what her splits are :laffs:When her paw hits the screen it momentarily freezes a shadow of the image, I can't get a picture but sometimes it's just a trail of overlapping shadows across the screen, the blur here is a chunk of yarn that pops into the screen and wiggles.

IMG_4417.thumb.jpg.f13c89467e98c7aecdf4d4376b1bc9b0.jpgIMG_4398.thumb.jpg.352b032aa6d6a9078bf76480d9468289.jpgIMG_4397.thumb.jpg.1dc06c6f0e17486fe8d813063f438a4c.jpg

The wife keeps the cat on a strict diet but she has managed to get a gut over the summer, practice pays, nobody is gonna tell her how much to eat. 

IMG_4402.thumb.jpg.7377f62daee7efc326b94b4f8fd2ca76.jpgIMG_4404.thumb.jpg.b86e5a117276d283a07b2a9a05ced4cc.jpg 

I got way to much time on my hands but a contest comes to mind, gotta find out if a shot timer will score those taps but if I can get that figured out @98Z5V with Tacticat and @shepp with Hank might get a challenge, hell a 308AR wide paw off, start training those cats! :banana:

This is one of my cats favorites;

I can't do this.  I can't afford the computer monitors.  TactiCat is a SAVAGE.  If there was a Dog video, he'd fucking MAUL my whole computer setup.

The two Blackass Tiger Cats are WORSE.  Twin-Fucking-Nightmares.  No way, can I do this...  I'm just sayin'...

I'm out.

Why is nobody talking about apps for tablets?

With either an iPad or Android tablet, there are apps for cats that actually react to touch as well. I tried the fish one for a while (makes water sounds too), but it wasn't as fun as other forms of stimulus. Not sure what kind of screen protector is even valid at that point; but an iPad bare glass is pretty hard. 

Maybe you all are right though; best not to get pets too interested in that kind of display... Probably doesn't end well.

Isn't the great old outdoors better (not around here... hawks, fishers, owls, etc. will wreck small game)?

25 minutes ago, Lane said:

Not sure what kind of screen protector is even valid at that point; but an iPad bare glass is pretty hard. 

My main cat is a small Bengal cat = hates dogs = ate 2 Boston Terriers, and lost a toe fighting the Black Lab that followed.  Didn't slow him down, and he routinely beat the piss out of the ex-wife's 2 dogs (Terrier mix and Australian Shep), and he further attacked a dog that just walked up to the front door. 

I'm fucked, and own a cat that's Dog-Psycho.  He ain't big, he ain't small - just furious, about dogs. 

IF I EVER...   put somthing up on a computer screen that was "dog-anything" - I'm buying a new computer.  He hates dogs THAT much...   He'd EAT the fucking thing.  No doubts. 

Ask @MikedaddyH about trying to sneak his little dog into the house last year...   TactiCat put their asses BACK OUTTA the house...   :bitchslap::popcorn:

9 hours ago, Lane said:

Maybe you all are right though; best not to get pets too interested in that kind of display... Probably doesn't end well.

She seams to realize it's just practice, just taps with her pads, no claws, all about the speed it seems. Right now it's just a quick warm up for the morning patrol around the neighborhood, winter boredom will be the test for the TV. Biggest problem right now, I didn't realize cats had greasy paws.

Gotta use a big screen for full effect, fire and maneuver training :thumbup:

I used to have a cat, born on the same day my son was. The cat was the runt of the litter, but mom was a siamese-something and dad was an actual wildcat (you know, big ears, big claws, etc.). the kitten was grey colored, so he got named Grey (yeah, I know, real original). He grew up to be a 27 pound monster. He loved people but hated every animal that walked, flew, slithered, or swam. I had a German Shepherd at the same time, right around 125 pounds, and the cat loved to get the dog to chase him. That way, the cat could judge his distance, do a mid-run pivot, and jump onto the dog's head. The fur flew, dog was looking for an exit, and the cat just strutted his stuff. I loved that cat.

On 10/2/2021 at 9:23 PM, 98Z5V said:

My main cat is a small Bengal cat = hates dogs = ate 2 Boston Terriers, and lost a toe fighting the Black Lab that followed.  Didn't slow him down, and he routinely beat the piss out of the ex-wife's 2 dogs (Terrier mix and Australian Shep), and he further attacked a dog that just walked up to the front door. 

I'm fucked, and own a cat that's Dog-Psycho.  He ain't big, he ain't small - just furious, about dogs. 

IF I EVER...   put somthing up on a computer screen that was "dog-anything" - I'm buying a new computer.  He hates dogs THAT much...   He'd EAT the fucking thing.  No doubts. 

Ask @MikedaddyH about trying to sneak his little dog into the house last year...   TactiCat put their asses BACK OUTTA the house...   :bitchslap::popcorn:

My little dog was only a puppy, she didn't need an ass whipping from a cat.