• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Any Opinions On The New LuthAR AR10 Mags

Steve_In_29

These are made of metal and came out in April of this year. The only thing a search brings up is multiple sites with a copy paste of LuthARs advertising copy.

On their site the mags are listed under "lower parts". https://www.luth-ar.com/product/308-20-round-magazine/

Has anyone used them?

What did you think?

Are they made in house or sourced from a third party manufacturer?

I can find no mention of them on blogs, youtube, gun forums of anyone reviewing or even owning one.

At $34 a pop they are a bit pricey to buy just to test.

In an email exchange about a fitment issue with another of their products I asked a LuthAR customer service rep about these mags and he went silent on me.  Three days and no reply.

12 hours ago, Steve_In_29 said:

These are made of metal and came out in April of this year. The only thing a search brings up is multiple sites with a copy paste of LuthARs advertising copy.

On their site the mags are listed under "lower parts". https://www.luth-ar.com/product/308-20-round-magazine/

Has anyone used them?

What did you think?

Are they made in house or sourced from a third party manufacturer?

I can find no mention of them on blogs, youtube, gun forums of anyone reviewing or even owning one.

At $34 a pop they are a bit pricey to buy just to test.

In an email exchange about a fitment issue with another of their products I asked a LuthAR customer service rep about these mags and he went silent on me.  Three days and no reply.

This right here is the perfect definition of "The Rule."  The clock is ticking...   :popcorn:

2 hours ago, Steve_In_29 said:

Explain please.  Did I violate something by asking for information about a specific item?

If you ask about a product, and nobody here has tried it yet, we will collectively try to coerce you into buying it. It's for the good of the whole. Let us know how that mag works out 😉

On 11/19/2021 at 2:57 AM, blue109 said:

If you ask about a product, and nobody here has tried it yet, we will collectively try to coerce you into buying it. It's for the good of the whole. Let us know how that mag works out 😉

Yup, and we expect a review for the benefits of the group. Be glad you’re getting off with a $35 magazine lol. It’s one of our very few initiations.

Here is THE RULE:

"If you post, inquiring about a product, be it new or old, and no one responds with a review within 48 hours, you are hereby required to buy said product, and review that product, so that this rule doesn't apply to the next person with the same inquiry. "The Rule" shall not apply to the announcement of new or upcoming products, unless there is some context inquiring as to who will be the first to assume ownership of said product. At that point "The Rule" will once again apply to the poster, who will be obligated to be the first in the stated question.

While this shouldn't need to be stated, pictures are required, or that s*** didn't happen."

That's a hard and steadfast legality here on the board - but it gets interpreted and applied at will.  But, it is The Rule.

Sorry but I won't be purchasing that mag "rule" or not but here is my review...

When a customer service rep won't reply to a direct question about their product in an ongoing email exchange (cuts off the email contact actually) nor will the company respond to the same question on their Facebook page it is pretty obvious they are hiding something.  I am not wasting $34 on a re-badged CPD, ASC or dare I say Promag(?) product.  Heck I could have bought ASCs for $12.31 a pop if I wanted those ($13.99 - 12% on Primary Arms).

Even over on ARF no one has heard of let alone seen these mags, despite being on the market for almost 8 months.  Ditto for Snipershide and AKFiles.  Yet LuthAR's website is claiming, "that due to their popularity they are limiting sales to just 10 per person".

As I said there are zero videos on youtube, no blog posts and no threads on gun boards.  So one has to wonder which super secret shooters those mags are so popular with.

I moved on from considering purchasing these mags and held my nose to buy 10 PMags instead.  At a later date I will add to the Lancers I have as well.

3 hours ago, Matt.Cross said:

I've got a metric ton of ASC mags, none of which have ever disappointed me. Not really sure what you're on about....

Glad they work for you (and I'm not trying to change your mind) but there are TONS of reviews/comments about ASC mags (and other metal .308 mags) not playing well with different brands/models of AR10s.  Bad reviews on sites that are selling the mags even.  You pay your money and take your chances as to whether they will lock in, feed, fall out, lock bolt back, etc in your specific AR10.

And while you like your ASCs, would you pay almost triple the price for them just to get another company's roll mark on the baseplate?

On 11/19/2021 at 5:18 PM, Steve_In_29 said:

Glad they work for you (and I'm not trying to change your mind) but there are TONS of reviews/comments about ASC mags (and other metal .308 mags) not playing well with different brands/models of AR10s.  Bad reviews on sites that are selling the mags even.  You pay your money and take your chances as to whether they will lock in, feed, fall out, lock bolt back, etc in your specific AR10.

And while you like your ASCs, would you pay almost triple the price for them just to get another company's roll mark on the baseplate?

I don't begrudge you your perspective, but try to see it from my perspective: I've been around long enough to see what the lack of a Mil-Spec requirement can produce on this large frame platform. Manufacturers can and will do anything they want to their proprietary designs and it may or may not play well with all the variance that inevitably arises. This is yet another case of THIS IS NOT YOUR AR-15 at play, and it's not a flaw in ASC's design before you decide to go down that fruitless path. It's the variance coming from lower manufacturers and the fact that they don't have to adhere to a standard, which means that a ASC mag that will work perfectly with any of the MAINSTREAM large frame AR platforms it was designed for, is not surprising in the least when it doesn't work for a lower manufacturer that chose to do whatever they pleased with their design. 

36 minutes ago, Matt.Cross said:

I don't begrudge you your perspective, but try to see it from my perspective: I've been around long enough to see what the lack of a Mil-Spec requirement can produce on this large frame platform. Manufacturers can and will do anything they want to their proprietary designs and it may or may not play well with all the variance that inevitably arises. This is yet another case of THIS IS NOT YOUR AR-15 at play, and it's not a flaw in ASC's design before you decide to go down that fruitless path. It's the variance coming from lower manufacturers and the fact that they don't have to adhere to a standard, which means that a ASC mag that will work perfectly with any of the MAINSTREAM large frame AR platforms it was designed for, is not surprising in the least when it doesn't work for a lower manufacturer that chose to do whatever they pleased with their design. 

Not a pissing contest and I NEVER said ASC had a design flaw so don't put words in my mouth to defend your girlfriend's honor.

I simply said that they don't work in every rifle and it wasn't just oddball lowers that were reported to have issues with ASCs (or CPD or Elander, etc).  ALL the metal .308 mags aside from KAC and Larue are considered a crapshoot and have the reviews from actual buyers (and threads on gun forums) to that effect all over the web.  And just because ASC is your favorite mag and works in your guns doesn't mean it works for everyone.  You can say it's the lowers but PMags (that I don't personally like by the way) have very few reported issues with any brand of lower.  While I might have missed it, I don't believe I have heard of any rifle that won't work with a Lancer.

And I might be a new AR10 owner but I am not new to the platform, as friends have had them for years and I watched their travails due to that lack of standards you mention.

In your haste to defend your favorite mag you totally ignored the actual point of my post though.  Which was, "would you pay triple the price for an ASC (or other brand mag) just because someone like LuthAR put their rollmark on the base plate?". 

I have no idea who is building the mags for LuthAR as they are refusing to divulge that info but their silence makes me seriously doubt they are doing the mags in-house.  If they are building their own you would think they would be touting that to the heavens to drum up sales of their new product. Same thing if they were using a third party maker to build an improved mag that justifies that extra cost.    In fact that silence makes me believe they simply don't want people to know they are paying a HUGE markup for a run of the mill mag.

When I asked, Fulton Armory freely admitted their mags are made by ASC and FA doesn't charge a premium just because they put their name on them.

On 11/19/2021 at 10:12 PM, blue109 said:

@Matt.Cross probably doesn't have a girlfriend after all the bro-love I witnessed last weekend. I heard he took part in a dude sandwich

Furthermore I enjoyed it. It was a lot more fun than this boring pissing contest I'm engaged in, but there again, when it's time to defend the honor of one's girlfriend, a gentleman steps up without regard for what his wife will think.

1 hour ago, Steve_In_29 said:

Not a pissing contest and I NEVER said ASC had a design flaw so don't put words in my mouth to defend your girlfriend's honor.

You can cease and desist with that bullshiit attitude pretty quick, and stop slinging your little cheap shots and insults at people.  If you want to continue, that's your own very poor choice. 

Edited by 98Z5V