• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Zer NooB and an ambitious first build.

SubGrub

I’m just starting out. Brand new to this world. I’m sure to screw lots up. Asking for any and all help. Or You are welcome to follow along.

Here we go. God bless the Constitution and those willing to protect it.

About (some time) ago, I decided building this rig was what I needed to do in life. I was not in a hurry. The knowledge and capabilities gained was most of the motivation. The firearm is secondary- but I want it to be remarkable. Something worthy of its own line item in my will and testament. 

When I made up my mind to do this, I knew no difference between AR10/AR308/DPMS/gen 2 and I’m probably still getting it all sorted.

I should have started reading this forum months ago.

The beginning (where Im at now)- I’ve got an matched upper/lower set plus a hand guard from Live Free Armory. And also, central to the build I envisioned a BSFIII Franklin binary trigger. That’s it, that and some pin punches. (No tools yet)

The path and all the components I will end up getting is known only by God. I’m still learning component compatibility. My end goal I had in mind was an amalgamation of a “show-piece” / WROL (durability and longevity) / target and precision shoot learning item

Next on the grocery list was the barrel and bolt. I think a big/barrel match is a good idea. This decision for me is huge. It’s big money. I wanted 18”, fluted, not stainless steel. (Mostly because for looks) Something about Faxon made me feel good. But I just read a rant from a hot shot on here crapping on the company and it’s comprised standards. That’s when I decided to just blog the whole process on here before I even buy another part. 

The finish line: I want something that can roar like a mother jammer, take long clean shots, stay tough and reliable in case of “wokeness” reaches critical levels, things I am less concerned about are: price at expense of quality, weight, fussy ammo diet.

Some of the questions in my head right now.

What barrel/bolt group should I consider to be successful? 

Is the Giessle Super 42 buffer spring a good option for me? Will it be compatible with binary function?

I’m unclear about The Giessle Ambo charging handle, the site says it is not compatible with DPMS gen 2 (or not compatible with all)

Is my lower/upper set DPMS gen 2 (I think so)

As for stock, something great for long shooting and gotta have it in ODG.

Happy to be here and eager to express my 2A while I still got it.

Thankful in advance for all the knowledge, wisdom and help y’all bring.
And Thank you Lord, may this build and my efforts bring glory to your kingdom, I pray. 

Here (we) go. 
PS, by the end we should have a whole human experience of assembling a mighty rod of iron recorded, I sincerely hope in the process I can add value to this fine group of freedom lovers. Peace.

I bought a 18” fluted Faxon, for my dpms (gen1) low rail receiver set from Daytona Tac.  I bought the barrel last January.  It sure looks like a dream.  It headspaced perfectly... Shooting it has not seemed very good... I might have gotten a lemon, but still have two more tests to rule out other reasons for the innacuracy.  They don’t have a MOA gaurentee, but an email to them just recently brought a Happy response and the guy said their gonna send me out a new one.  That bore inside looks awesome and it’s hand lapped, just hope the second one I get works better... They have some cheaper bolt carriers if you don’t need the forward assist... I’m gonna give them a second chance... I didn’t even buy it straight from them but it is covered by their warrantee.  Match series.  Other people here have more experience with Barrel companies than I do.  The one thing I love about that Faxon, it fits so snug you gotta heat up the receiver and freeze the barrel just to get it together.  Gonna make it challenging to get it apart to put in the better barrel...That is to say if the last tests I do prove that it is a lemon barrel.  Plenty of other happy customers out there though... decent price for them.

44 minutes ago, SubGrub said:

Blank statement directives do not help me. I want to hear your reasons. Then maybe I can think as you. But right now, you are treading on my dreams.

"Explain your dreams" then.  You haven't done it.  What "dream" do you have that this binary trigger can fulfill?

Get to it - that binary trigger is your dream.  Why?...   What do you think it's gonna do for you?...     :popcorn:

I want to hear your reasons, why this trigger is so important to what you need to do...  :thumbup:

Let's get YOUR reason on why that trigger is so important... 

Edited by 98Z5V

1 hour ago, SubGrub said:

When I made up my mind to do this, I knew no difference between AR10/AR308/DPMS/gen 2 and I’m probably still getting it all sorted.

Is my lower/upper set DPMS gen 2 (I think so)

Measure the inside of the upper, that will tell you if it's gen2 or  not. If it is a gen2, you're better off starting over. I inadvertently got a gen2 barrel when I first started out and now have a heavy blowgun that has a leak about half way down. 

Let’s get this out of the way. It’s not a Gen 2. It’s GII. It’s a whole different frame type. Your receivers are DPMS/SR-25 patterned (although the company calls it AR-10, which is Armalite and a trademarked and proprietary receiver set). Faxon has good barrels and I’m not sure what @DustBusterhas going on with his, are generally very good and backed by the company. There are a ton of barrel makers out there if you seek an alternative. Try to get one with a headspaced bolt. Now, let’s talk about what you’re looking for, since you are not specific in what you want this rifle to do (you’ve only generally stated you want it to shoot and look good).

Distances you’re looking to shoot? 
caliber?

why a binary trigger? They are not going to help you be accurate. Trigger work with a quality trigger will be more beneficial and nearly as fast. The second shot of a binary, especially on a .308/large frame caliber is going to suck, maybe miss and IPSC target altogether.

use the Armalite recoil system and you won’t have any problems. It’s proven, can work on Armalite and DPMS patterns without any issues. 

weight- you say you don’t care, yet, in case of extreme wokeness you’ll use this rifle in only what I can assume is in self defense. Do you have any experience with a rifle? Weight matters….. a lot. Swing a 16 lb rifle for a few hours plus the kit to support it and it’ll matter….a 16” barrel will hit 800 yds if you know your dope and weigh 2 lbs less where it counts, end of the barrel. Something to chew on

I have a Franklin Arms binary trigger.  Many here have fired it with different calibers.  I have it on a separate AR15 lower that I can put any upper on top.  It is a fun trigger.  It is not a trigger I would use for accuracy, even in single shot mode.  The second shot in binary mode will almost certainly be off target, even with lighter recoiling AR15 rounds.  I have other rifles, most of which have a Larue MBT-2S trigger.

Im not saying to not follow your dream of a binary trigger.  Just that you should evaluate the experiences given and make your decision with more information.

I’m taking heat! And I haven’t even busted out the locktite yet.

I got an angry monkey and some others throwin shade about the “dream” of a binary.  Let’s address a few aspects of that. Let me try and paint a picture. Give the audience the emotion and human drive behind what I expected to be a mostly technical discourse.

Why do I want this build to hold a binary?

1. Because! ….  (And F you to anyone thinking I don’t NEED or should be able to own it) (see upcoming 2A tirade)
  2. Because it’s cool.  — and I mean that in a mature, adult-like way. I am amazed at the design and functionality of this 70 some year old engineered platform. The complexity and added capability of the trigger set appeals to me.
  3. Because other firing settings are not legal. (No interest in auto fire) But 3 rd burst would be cool.
  4. Because I picked up from reading, the echo trigger was not compatible with my intended build.
  5. Because this receiver set was intended to hold the binary function. Selector/safety says so. (I’ll try and post pic)
  6. Because the binary function aligns with my purpose of doing the build.
  7. I like challenges and learning, sometimes I do this by jumping in over my head or beyond my comfort zone.

Hey new guy! Don’t you know binary triggers are trash/ gimmicky?

1. I didn’t expect strangers to down right shoot the idea down without even defending their stand point. (I guess maybe it had some universal hate) 
  2. I don’t expect the trigger to perform at highest levels of precision shooting, I do expect the build to be able to outperform my (current) abilities as a shooter. I think I could learn and grow just fine with the trigger. (Even if the binary setting is less than functional)
  3. No, if the trigger functions and is not a safety issue, binary is exactly what I want this weapon to sport. 
    (A primary purpose of this “build” is a combined expression of my 2nd Amendment and 1st amendment- freedoms granted to me by God and guaranteed by the USA Constitution.) In case you didn’t read above, I said I was building a “show piece”. 

[oh no! Those internet gun guys where right, this binary idea is not what I want]

1. Step one: replace trigger with drop in competition grade trigger. 
  2. Step two: never chase dreams again

Moving forward, BSFIII: Aside from not being as “tits” as super precision triggers what makes it unworthy of considering or employing in my build. If a stranger (especially one with expertise) says my blue prints belong in the “shiitcan”, I would want to hear there reasons. Not to be told to defend (the emotional aspects of) my already condemned plan. Thanks guy. I’ve already learned a lot. 

For those willing, can you tell me what difficulties I potentially face with my bang bang switch? What may I not know about this device or installation?

@edgecrusher , Yeah, I’ve shot a rifle. One or two.  They are made of metal right?  Likely,  if I find myself trekking through post apocalyptic rough country terrain this build would not be a primary choice. Not likely at all. My home terf is pretty flat and I’m not weak, I can hump it. Two pounds is not nothing, just it’s not my concern. (Just ask my mountain bike)  Maybe a second go at this building AR’s I will change my mindset and make a pencil barrel carbine, but that’s not what I’m doing this time.
Also I can’t say I for sure understand “G1” or “G2”, I was told to measure- but what? From one YouTube video it looks like I have features of both.

These are the components I have or considering, open to all useful input. Especially estimated pitfalls or compatibility issues

• LFA matched receivers with 15” handguard 
  • BSFIII binary trigger
  • 2A full length 308 tube
  • Giessle super 42 spring with (H2/H1)? Planning for future suppressor capabilities 
  • if 42 spring doesn’t work the Franklin trigger comes with spring I’ll use
  • fancy pro freedom engraved covers and buttons 
  • stock- unknown?
  • Faxon nitride bcg 
  • Faxon 18” flute moly barrel 
  • Some quality adjustable gas block (recommendations) 
  • faxon gas tube (j b/c)

Thanks for reading. Go ahead and let me know just how far I’m in the weeds about any of this.

46DF2716-6DB5-4593-A07F-781E92428C36.jpeg

B3437204-1003-45EC-AEF3-FE7E20B20850.jpeg

25236AC7-9524-49E8-B14E-B560F4E8CE98.jpeg

6 hours ago, SubGrub said:

Giessle super 42 spring with (H2/H1)? Planning for future suppressor capabilities 

That's specifically an AR15 part, completely.  It's not going to work in your gun, worth a shiit.  Do what @jtallen83 said - it's proven.

If a stranger (especially one with expertise) says my blue prints belong in the “shiitcan”, I would want to hear there reasons.

Well, you straight demanded that I give you reasons for my advice - but you never, ever stated why you need this trigger.  I specifically asked you, in counter, what are YOUR reasons for needing this trigger so bad.  Here are your responses...  

Because the binary function aligns with my purpose of doing the build.

Well, I directly asked you what the purpose of the gun was, and you still haven't answered that.

Because it’s cool.  — and I mean that in a mature, adult-like way. I am amazed at the design and functionality of this 70 some year old engineered platform. The complexity and added capability of the trigger set appeals to me.

What "added capability" are you talking about - you never stated it.

Please explain, directly, what the purpose of the gun build it - what you want the gun to do.  Then, please explain directly, what that trigger is giving you...

Almost All lowers are marked with the 3rd position, by the way.

3 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

I love a "because" build :thumbup:

Skip that 42 spring idea, get the ArmaLite buffer kit and have a known  to work every time system.

Cool. I will consider your input.

But can anyone diagnose my reluctance to adopt anything from Armalite? I’ve always been an underdog advocate 

37 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

That's specifically an AR15 part, completely.  It's not going to work in your gun, worth a shiit.  Do what @jtallen83 said - it's proven.

Well, you straight demanded that I give you reasons for my advice - but you never, ever stated why you need this trigger.  I specifically asked you, in counter, what are YOUR reasons for needing this trigger so bad.  Here are your responses...  

Well, I directly asked you what the purpose of the gun was, and you still haven't answered that.

Please explain, directly, what the purpose of the gun build it - what you want the gun to do.  Then, please explain directly, what that trigger is giving you...

Almost All lowers are marked with the 3rd position, by the way.

Mr 98, I appreciate the combination of of your knowledge base and your time spent replying. 
No man, I never demanded anything from you. Maybe something was lost in text. In my mind the conversation went like: started (by myself) “hey internet, im probably gonna botch up this gun cause im clueless but im going for it, what do you think?”, 

98 says take that plan to the trash— okay, what exactly am I supposed to do with that info? Because building a binary 308 is what I want to do. And I know they exist and work. A question I would ask you! Is the BSFIII really that shitty, that I wouldn’t even want it in any gun I had?

go back and read, I explain thoroughly why binary is central to my idea. Like you asked in fact.  But I still don’t know YOUR reasoning. You’ve explained nothing. (I’m seeking technical knowledge and the benefit of experience) you’ve Maybe eluded to your lack of confidence in the trigger. But no information.  (That’s fine) I stated, if maybe I knew some of what you know I could sort it out.

Do you suspect it will not work/ function properly? I’m not gonna try and make assumptions about your animos to ether my build idea or to the new clueless fool on the forum (me) but I’m reading it. 

About the 42 spring, I guess I stand corrected, I’ve asked this compatibility question to myself and guess I got it wrong. Giessle himself stated the spring has 35-40% more resilience and is 100% better than standard, I paired that with poorly referenced sources saying 15’s springs are usable. That made me guess it could work. And I have some interesting background with braided springs and it’s really cool engineering. (Cool engineering being a theme of the build)

I’m also attracted to the Giessle charge handle (ar10)  but cannot determine if it will fit, can you advise?

Also based on something you authored, what could I do, / should I do if my gas tube isn’t correctly “timed?”

Also, if I specifically purchase a lower with a third function position, I want it to have a third function. That’s how I roll.

ive seen a few posts pop up while (*trying to ) typing so sorry if we overpass in communication.

7 hours ago, SubGrub said:

No, if the trigger functions and is not a safety issue, binary is exactly what I want this weapon to sport. 
(A primary purpose of this “build” is a combined expression of my 2nd Amendment and 1st amendment- freedoms granted to me by God and guaranteed by the USA Constitution.) In case you didn’t read above, I said I was building a “show piece”. 

Mr 98, you asked again why binary,…..Because America!
If no other reason to say I did it,
Also I will repeat myself again…., the knowledge and the process IS the purpose, the firearm is secondary 

7 minutes ago, SubGrub said:

Mr 98, I appreciate the combination of of your knowledge base and your time spent replying. 
No man, I never demanded anything from you. Maybe something was lost in text. In my mind the conversation went like: started (by myself) “hey internet, im probably gonna botch up this gun cause im clueless but im going for it, what do you think?”, 

98 says take that plan to the trash— okay, what exactly am I supposed to do with that info? Because building a binary 308 is what I want to do. And I know they exist and work. A question I would ask you! Is the BSFIII really that shitty, that I wouldn’t even want it in any gun I had?

go back and read, I explain thoroughly why binary is central to my idea. Like you asked in fact.  But I still don’t know YOUR reasoning. You’ve explained nothing. (I’m seeking technical knowledge and the benefit of experience) you’ve Maybe eluded to your lack of confidence in the trigger. But no information.  (That’s fine) I stated, if maybe I knew some of what you know I could sort it out.

Do you suspect it will not work/ function properly? I’m not gonna try and make assumptions about your animos to ether my build idea or to the new clueless fool on the forum (me) but I’m reading it. 

About the 42 spring, I guess I stand corrected, I’ve asked this compatibility question to myself and guess I got it wrong. Giessle himself stated the spring has 35-40% more resilience and is 100% better than standard, I paired that with poorly referenced sources saying 15’s springs are usable. That made me guess it could work. And I have some interesting background with braided springs and it’s really cool engineering. (Cool engineering being a theme of the build)

I’m also attracted to the Giessle charge handle (ar10)  but cannot determine if it will fit, can you advise?

Also based on something you authored, what could I do, / should I do if my gas tube isn’t correctly “timed?”

Also, if I specifically purchase a lower with a third function position, I want it to have a third function. That’s how I roll.

ive seen a few posts pop up while (*trying to ) typing so sorry if we overpass in communication.

Personally, you haven't explained a single thing about why you "need this" trigger.  You don't have a need for it.  It shoots when you pull it, and it shoots when you let go to reset it. 

I've asked you repeatedly, very directly...  "WHAT DO YOU WANT THIS GUN TO DO FOR YOU?"  I've also asked you repeatedly, "WHAT IS YOUR GOAL FOR THIS GUN, TO DO FOR YOU?"

Nothing.  Crickets.

You keep dodging those questions, and don't answer them. 

13 minutes ago, SubGrub said:

98 says take that plan to the trash— okay, what exactly am I supposed to do with that info? Because building a binary 308 is what I want to do.

I asked you why - you refuse to answer.

14 minutes ago, SubGrub said:

go back and read, I explain thoroughly why binary is central to my idea.

No, you never did, which is why I asked.  So get to it, and explain it already.

15 minutes ago, SubGrub said:

You refuse to read what I'm directly asking.  And, refuse to answer directly what I'm asking.

15 minutes ago, SubGrub said:

Pick the right one - I recently heard that he is making a .308AR charging handle.

16 minutes ago, SubGrub said:

Get the right gas tube.

17 minutes ago, SubGrub said:

Almost ALL lowers are marked that way - even if they don't have the shelf to support a full-auto trigger - manufacturers mark them that way anyway.  Not, ON YOU, go drag your ass our and research shelf height, in lowers, and full-auto triggers.  Have fun with that one.

6 minutes ago, SubGrub said:

Mr 98, you asked again why binary,…..Because America!
If no other reason to say I did it,
Also I will repeat myself again…., the knowledge and the process IS the purpose, the firearm is secondary 

What do you gain from this?  Buy a Forced reset trigger, if you just want a "giggle switch."  Binarys suck, and won't give you what you want, and don't do anything but let off another round when you release it.  It's bullshiit.

Binary will gain you nothing.  However, you do you - I can clearly see that you don't give a fuk, and have your mind made up, on building a useless weapon, that you STILL have never defined a purpose for. 

But, I'm the one with the reading comprehension problems...   :popcorn:

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

??……As in a second firing position? (Going from safe-bang TO safe-bang-bang bang)
Whatever dude, you are not even reading my lengthy explaintions. In fact you are trolling. And if your not doing it purposely then I can’t answer questions I’ve already stated in a way you understand. (Maybe it’s just a mental wavelength disjunction)

What’s binary gonna do for me? You ask. Here is your DIRecT answer. It’s gonna be cool to make. Cool to show off, then it’s gonna rot and rust in my safe! And when it’s not doing that, it’s gonna shoot bullets. Sometimes 2. It’s just like banging chicks, we all want to double up, but only have one barrel. 

have a good night

2 minutes ago, SubGrub said:

Whatever dude, you are not even reading my lengthy explaintions.

You never made one single lengthy explanation, not once, even when asked directly.

What’s binary gonna do for me? You ask. Here is your DIRecT answer. It’s gonna be cool to make. Cool to show off, then it’s gonna rot and rust in my safe! And when it’s not doing that, it’s gonna shoot bullets. Sometimes 2. It’s just like banging chicks, we all want to double up, but only have one barrel. 

OOOOHHH!!!  This might be the FIRST lengthy explanation that you made!!!  Well done!!!  

have a good night

I will.  Hope you have a good one, too.  Sweet Dreams, Peaches.   :thumbup:

20 minutes ago, SubGrub said:

In fact you are trolling.

I never troll.  But I always WATCH for trolls.  You're kinda falling into that category right now, unless you fix yourself...   :popcorn:

I'm the Anti-Troll.  For people like you, apparently.  I'm your huckleberry...

Val Kilmer — I'm Your Huckleberry Review | FOX 5 San Diego

I'm the DEWS, man.  For this place.  I'm the Dumbass Early Warning System.  To look for people like you.  :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

1 minute ago, 98Z5V said:

You never made one single lengthy explanation, not once, even when asked directly.

OOOOHHH!!! 

On 12/15/2021 at 11:41 PM, SubGrub said:

About (some time) ago, I decided building this rig was what I needed to do in life. I was not in a hurry. The knowledge and capabilities gained was most of the motivation. The firearm is secondary

8 hours ago, SubGrub said:

I got an angry monkey and some others throwin shade about the “dream” of a binary.  Let’s address a few aspects of that. Let me try and paint a picture. Give the audience the emotion and human drive behind what I expected to be a mostly technical discourse.

Why do I want this build to hold a binary?

1. Because! ….  (And F you to anyone thinking I don’t NEED or should be able to own it) (see upcoming 2A tirade)
  2. Because it’s cool.  — and I mean that in a mature, adult-like way. I am amazed at the design and functionality of this 70 some year old engineered platform. The complexity and added capability of the trigger set appeals to me.
  3. Because other firing settings are not legal. (No interest in auto fire) But 3 rd burst would be cool.
  4. Because I picked up from reading, the echo trigger was not compatible with my intended build.
  5. Because this receiver set was intended to hold the binary function. Selector/safety says so. (I’ll try and post pic)
  6. Because the binary function aligns with my purpose of doing the build.
  7. I like challenges and learning, sometimes I do this by jumping in over my head or beyond my comfort zone.

8 hours ago, SubGrub said:

No, if the trigger functions and is not a safety issue, binary is exactly what I want this weapon to sport. 
(A primary purpose of this “build” is a combined expression of my 2nd Amendment and 1st amendment- freedoms granted to me by God and guaranteed by the USA Constitution.) In case you didn’t read above, I said I was building a “show piece

wHY do you wANt sUCh a dumb wEApOn??. Derrrr. (Because all my other weapons are smart and I’m pro-diversity)

I don’t * want it. -I want to build it.

Dear ape-man, you waste our time.

@SubGrub, you have totally FAILED to define what you want your rifle to do for you.  You have totally FAILED what you expect out of your rifle.  You have never mentioned a single thing about what this rifle will do for you, at any distance, on any target, and what you expect of it.

Basically, you've totally fucking failed.  Great job.  Even when directly asked.  :thumbup:

@SubGrub allow me to make an attempt to help you out here a little bit;

This forum has been around for a little while now, and in that time we've all seen our fair share of newcomers to the platform who show up wanting to build a large-frame AR platform that's perfect for everything from room clearing, to 3-gun, to precision long-range shooting, and they want all of that to come in under 6 lbs as well. Well, it's never happened yet. That's because these platforms will excel at a specific purpose if you build it for a specific purpose, but you need to figure out what your biggest priority is for this build. When you state that precision shooting will be an expected function of this build, your binary trigger becomes an immediate reject, here's why: A binary trigger is most useful for a high rate of fire, everything that will suffer due to a high rate of fire (namely accuracy and therefore effectiveness) goes right out the window with all the dynamics of a high firing rate. Will it dump out expensive ammo really quickly? Yes, but otherwise it will be very unimpressive. Will it dump out cheap ammo really quickly? Yes, but it will be otherwise unimpressive, unless you're interested in communicating how much more money you have than sense to onlookers.

You haven't clearly communicated any real priorities for what this build needs to accomplish, usually folks can at least articulate that they're looking to do one of the following as their goal: minimize weight (it's a large-frame AR,duh), maximize speed (it's a large AR, everything is bigger, heavier, slower), maximize accuracy, maximize effectiveness in terms of terminal ballistics, mock up smaller AR roles and platforms in the larger AR (DMR), hunting, plinking, wasting ammo as fast as possible, etc etc.

Right now the only thing we know with any certainty is which trigger you want, but that tells us nothing definitive about what you want the rifle to do effectively.