• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Wonky M5 Build

Bevis8604

HELLO!

First time poster and just set up an account. 

Recently I purchased what was supposed to be a factory aero M5 18" rifle in 308. I was on a camping trip when I picked it up. 

After a week I got the gun home and realized that the bolt is not locking back on the bolt catch. If is locking back on the magazine only. 

I contacted the seller, private party, and he told me he had "Put the gun together with all factory Aero parts". So now he has listed the gun for sale as a new factory gun and I am hearing it is not that after I get the gun home and it's been a week. 

Long story short, the guy threw an ar15 buffer and spring in it and it is binding. I happened to have a spare ar10 buffer from a previous ar10 project but now I need a spring. 

Any suggestions on a go to sping for a carbine buffer set up on an 18" ar10?

Thanks and happy shooting. 
Bev😈

12 hours ago, Bevis8604 said:

I believe I know what the issue is. Ar15 spring. It is short binding on the coils. I have already ordered an ar10 spring to try and remedy the issue. 

What spring did you order?  How much does the buffer weigh that you are you using? 

"AR10" springs can be just as ineffective as an AR15 spring.  There is no standard and even manufacturers of complete rifles use buffers that are too light with underpowered springs.  They pair that with a small gas port to make the rifle function most of the time.  They do this because it costs less money.

This is why there were many questions about your rifle and what it included.  Hopefully your rifle will function with what you ordered.  If not, it can be fixed.

14 hours ago, Bevis8604 said:

I believe I know what the issue is. Ar15 spring. It is short binding on the coils. I have already ordered an ar10 spring to try and remedy the issue. 

There's gonna be more than a recoil spring going on here, I guarantee it.

2 hours ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

What spring did you order?  How much does the buffer weigh that you are you using? 

"AR10" springs can be just as ineffective as an AR15 spring.  There is no standard and even manufacturers of complete rifles use buffers that are too light with underpowered springs.  They pair that with a small gas port to make the rifle function most of the time.  They do this because it costs less money.

This is why there were many questions about your rifle and what it included.  Hopefully your rifle will function with what you ordered.  If not, it can be fixed.

^^^  What Doc said...

This is exactly what I have going on. I found this forum based on this thread which was searched via google. 

I purchased a springco red ar10 carbine spring. 

Buffer weight is 5.2 oz on the digital scales. 

Will report back in a few days when the spring arrives and I have time to test it out. 

14 hours ago, Bevis8604 said:

I purchased a springco red ar10 carbine spring. 

See, this is exactly why we're asking you for specific dimensions.

The Sprinco Red spring is a direct replacement for the Armalite EA1095 spring.  It's purpose is for carbine receiver extensions that are 7 5/8" internal depth, and used with carbine buffers that are 3.250" long.  OR, you use it in a rifle receiver extension that's 9 11/16" internal depth, with a 308AR rifle buffer that's 5.200" long.

If your carbine receiver extension is 7.000" internal depth, you'll need a buffer that's 2.500" long, and you purchased the wrong spring.  The Sprinco Orange spring was specifically designed for that setup, on a 308AR.

Details matter - I don't know why it's so hard to get them from you.