• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Build a Light Weight 308 AR

imschur

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would mean that the basic information, and parts available at the time this was dicsussed, is now irrelevant.  Probably be best to start a new thread...

Details of that 375 would be awesome, and that thing would deserve a thread of it's own...

Edited by 98Z5V

Just now, 98Z5V said:

That would mean that the basic information, and parts available at the time this was dicsussed, is now irrelevant.  Probably be best to start a new thread...

True. 2011 and 2015 parts are obsolete now. Hell, there are some 2017 parts that are already “old news” and upgraded. 

• 4 weeks later...

I hope this is the right place for this, but i am not real happy with my 10.8# 308. its an all PSA pa-10. only accessories are the bipod mount up front (couple oz's at max) a athlon argos 3-15x40 scope (12oz), and an aero precision ultralight weight scope mount (3.5oz) this 10.8# is empty and without a sling. 

I have a psa 20" stainless medium weight barrel. i think maybe thats where a good bunch of the #'s are coming from? it has a "psa lightweight" 15in m-lok handguard as well as a Magpul STR buttstock. 

is my best bet changing out the barrel? can't afford a CF one, but how much weight savings could i expect? PSA doesn't publish their weights and i have been awaiting an email back from them for over a week. not holding my breath. 

1 hour ago, unforgiven said:

That's light , my rifle RRA Standard Operator is 14.5# w/a loaded 20rd. metal mag. Includes scope/bipod.

in comparison to yours maybe! but i would like lighter, i don't need to shoot out to 1k. but if i was consistent at 500yards i'd be happy. 

i bet yours is close to mine if ya dropped that bipod and loaded 20rd. 

Probably should have added, this will be a hunting rifle. in the mtns of Colorado and Alaska. will be toted around in small bush planes, and on my back while i'm going into the backcountry. 

think i could complete my goal with a 16" light barrel? how much weight might i shave off ya think?

Crazy   you're gonna lug that boat anchor in the mountains?  Yes a 16inch barrel like the Faxon gunner will shave off some weight for sure...but if I was you and you are going to back pack it I would $hitcan the rifle and build a lightweight rifle from scratch......you can get the weight down to 8 pounds with scope and a mag.....You will never get a light hunting rifle starting off with a PA....so sounds to me like you're a serious hunter? and you're gonna be laying out some serious cash on the hunting expeditions ...why cheap out on the main tool of your trade...the rifle?  Ive got a couple that I built that come in at 8lbs using a custom machined upper ,light barrel ,and light bcg....but now you can get a really light matching upper/lower / parts real easy..... go here https://2a-arms.com/

and then get this  https://2a-arms.com/collections/lightweight-receivers/products/xanthos-lite-large-frame-receiver-set

the matched set is your start.....then barrel yes they are sold out for now   https://2a-arms.com/collections/lightweight-ar-barrels/products/18-2a-lightweight-308-barrel

but Faxon gunners barrels come in light too        or  2A creedmore at just over 2 pounds https://2a-arms.com/collections/lightweight-ar-barrels/products/20-2a-lightweight-6-5mm-creedmoor-barrel

so then you get your lightweight rail and bcg and there ya go         sell that boat anchor.... I pimped this same exact thing to a new member and his came in really light......     Wash

read this thread all the way thru    the parts listed will get you a light weight 308

Edited by washguy

washguy, wow. good info I can tell, however I am at work so ill have to read up on it tonight

I understand that my "boat anchor" will never be a lightweight gun, but what do you feel is holding me back the most? I know oz's add to pounds but i'd like to do what I can within reason to this thing being I already own it.

next build will be from a matched receiver set and i'll piece it together like you mention above. watching the oz's carefully.

Crazy  the barrel is an easy weight reduction... Faxon gunner 16 inch.. Weigh your handguard with barrel nut... If it's more than a pound you can cheaply reduce a lil weight there... That big ol heavy bcg can be replaced but then you're getting into money.... Wash

Faxon pencil 308 weighs less than 2 pounds   https://www.righttobear.com/FAXON-FIREARMS-16-PENCIL-308-AR10-Mid-Length-p/10a810m16npq.htm

Faxon big gunner  less than 2 pounds https://www.righttobear.com/FAXON-FIREARMS-16-Gunner-308-AR10-Mid-Length-p/10a810m16ngq.htm

Edited by washguy

ok so I am on the right track.

wash, also, wow. I read that whole thread you posted. funny guy you are. but damn knowledgeable. thanks for things so far.

now I will b researching more, but I have a rifle length gas system now, what would be the notable changes both physically and functionally in changing from rifle length to mid length if I went with that 16" pencil by faxon.

I need to get off the handguard and such and weigh some things. PSA sucks are communicating and so far I have no idea what it weighs

Crazy      all you would need is a mid length gas tube and while your at ,it get you a light gas block...theres some weight savings in the gas block...and theres some cheap weight savings in the muzzle brake too...it all adds up     have you got the claw to take down your barrel and hand guard?        :thumbup:     Wash

Just now, washguy said:

Crazy      all you would need is a mid length gas tube and while your at ,it get you a light gas block...theres some weight savings in the gas block...and theres some cheap weight savings in the muzzle brake too...it all adds up     have you got the claw to take down your barrel and hand guard?        :thumbup:     Wash

not yet. can I assume you have a recommendation? taking it to my gunsmith tomorrow for his thoughts on the whole thing as well being I am completely new to this.

I read up on your thoughts on a gas block too. I agree that's some easy weight savings, I expect my handguard isn't very light either. might see if I can break it down while at my gunsmith's and weigh some items.

Crazy    here ya go    its a must have item   http://www.dpmsinc.com/PANTHER-CLAWS-FOR-308-RIFLES_p_1119.html

this one item will cause your wallet to deflate:laffs: because now you be a gunsmith ,and can build more rifles ,and mod more rifles....this one item is "the mothership"    and of course a vice and workbench  !    one more thing....just because a person has a gunsmith sign hanging above his door doesn't mean a damn thing when it comes to these large frame rifles ,as opposed to the little brother ar15.....no disrespect intended to the gunsmith  :laffs:    Wash