• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Build a Light Weight 308 AR

imschur

As long as I use the same box of ammo I usually don't get fliers on any of my rifles.

With my 6.8 AR's I often go from 90 grain to 110 to 120 the same day to build a point of aim vs. point of impact table. Usually do 5 shot groups.

I do get point of impact changes with a group as I might shoot a rifle in January and not shoot it again until July. Can be 80-100 degrees temperature change. And the winds can be 20 MPH from 90 degrees one weekend and 20 mph from 270 the next week end.

The say a great shooter is one who can adjust for the winds, I am working on it but I am still learning.

Stain, did you not look at the back of the target, all those tight 2 shot groups PROVE this is a under 0.20 rifle. Much easier adjusting a bolt rifle scope compared to an AR scope.

Edited by breastroker

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the targets. But based on how accuracy is measured in the shooting world those aren't adequate enough to prove that is a .20 rifle. There seems to be a misunderstanding on how to measure MOA for accuracy testing.

Based on the BC of the majority of 6.8 SPC bullets, and the performance I have seen, I don't know that there are many .20 ones out there. The rounds you are shooting are high BC for the 6.8.

DPMS have some good barrels floating around out there, there is no denying that. .5 or less for 10 rounds? I would hold on to that rifle.

Edited by StainTrain

It is a hunting rifle, not a semi automatic. I have shot dime sized 3 shot groups for it, using Hornady 120 SST.

If you wanted to put up money, I would bet a 10 shot group would not be nearly as big as you wished it were. But it only holds 4 rounds in the magazine. That's three more than I need for a deer or piggy.

My AR 308 DPMS SASS barrel will shoot a half inch 10 shot group though. But I prefer to focus on cold bore shots. I have 4 out of 4 cold bore shots over 5 weeks all dead center. That is match grade sniper accuracy.

Pick up a 10-rd mag and prove it.  You might be shocked at your performance.  Doubt it all you want - but put up pics of that.  You'll see how you and your rig stack up, hunting rig, hunter, or not. 

Whisky Tango Michael Foxtrot !

With a 6.8...Really. On a good day three in a Nickle size hole the rest would spread out.

Would like to find out the charge {powder weight} because it would have to be so fucking HOT like ¹05% load factor. And really close to 3000 FPS.

1911 your pig of a rifle wont do crap compared to my lil 16 inch 8 pounder 308...so smoke on that a while  :) Wash

image.jpg1_zpsm24wr11k.jpg

iron sights at 200 yds while riding bareback on a little white pony

Nakidd with hiccupps and the pony only has 3 legs running.That what you call a Texan son. <thumbsup>

1911 your pig of a rifle wont do crap compared to my lil 16 inch 8 pounder 308...so smoke on that a while  :) Wash

image.jpg1_zpsm24wr11k.jpg

iron sights at 200 yds while riding bareback on a little white pony

That's nothing, I shot this one @ 500 yards, from my weak side while tap dancing across the top of a jackhammer while it was running. Not impressed? I forgot to mention I was blindfolded at the time. 

Yep.

Target4TopRight.jpg

On a factual note, this is a 5-shot group and the first two shots went into the same hole just right of the bullseye. Therefore by your logic, that 2 shot group makes my rifle a .0005 MOA shooter because that's the smallest discrepancy I can measure for those two shots.

Post up 5 targets, 5 shot groups apiece, then tell me about your .18 MOA rifle.

<dontknow> I might be warming up to this "two shot group" idea. I would save on ammo, my average group size would be greatly improved as I usually throw a flier at 4 or 5 anyway, might help my self esteem ..........

:ugone2far: ahhhhh bullschit! It don't count unless you send the whole mag as fast as you can acquire the target, that is where the rifles quality and shooters skill are truly tested.  :soap:

Otherwise just bolt the damn thing down to the bench...........

"Lightweight" :binkybaby:  has such a negative connotation...........

To anyone wondering about the continuity of this topic, it has been cleaned. Please continue the original topic by all means. If you're reading this as a banned member, please look up the "you will not be missed" thread and read it before going any further.

I think with this up grade we should have inserted a "like" option so I could just "like" you post! 

• 2 years later...

Hi my name is Breaststroker aka Dikstroker....if your rifle weighs 8.8 pounds...I suggest getting a hacksaw and cutting off 6 inches of barrel with a slight taper to the cut at 42 degrees.....your rifle weighs far too much and doesn't meet NRA standards... and there are many other ways to save grams....first of all is your scale certified?...it must be certified                Necro this :laffs:

Wash

16 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

It was necro'd once already.  It's been necro'd again.  This thread was started on December 30th, 2011.

This has GOT to be a record...   :thumbup:

There's lots of new light weight parts that have come out. No need to call Dr. Kevorkian on this thread just yet.