• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Build a Light Weight 308 AR

imschur

So everyone should have pig 12lb 308s? This guy shoots just fine, and is much nicer to carry than the HB it started as.

Really?  A "pig"? My rifle resembles (She means resents) that remark, with a S/S 24" HB and muzzle brake, comes in at just over 5lbs (just the barrel). She may a bit over weight but that is no reason for such name calling. Yours may be better around the track but mine is better on the wrestling mat. A chill pill is in order. :banana: Banana Man strikes again.

Edited by darb

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ar's don't weigh 12 lbs, your ammo will be the majority of the weight you have to contend with.(are you also using the lightest bullets you can find?)

Plenty of scoped factory 308ARs do. My old bull barrel DPMS was heavier than that. Most people don't carry enough ammo around to make much of a difference. There's nothing wrong with wanting a lighter rifle that performs as well as a heavy one. Seems common sense unless you never leave the bench. You seem to think lightening a rifle makes it less effective when this is not necessarily the case. If you are out hunting with ammo pouches weighing more than your rifle, you may need a little more practice.

Really? A "pig"? My rifle resembles (She means resents) that remark, with a S/S 24" HB and muzzle brake, comes in at just over 5lbs (just the barrel). She may a bit over weight but that is no reason for such name calling. Yours may be better around the track but mine is better on the wrestling mat. A chill pill is in order. :banana: Banana Man strikes again.

Lol. My 18" gun is named miss piggy. I like em curvey too, but why not have one of each :D

Lol. My 18" gun is named miss piggy. I like em curvey too, but why not have one of each :D

Now you are talking. Mine is called Mrs. Beast and make that heavy on the Mrs. All kidding aside. I like what you are attempting with the weight. I will see what I could do on trimming down the weight with my next build which will be a 20" .260 Rem or 6.5 Creedmoore, depending on price and availability. Keep posting, I enjoy the entertainment. <thumbsup>

Here is the offending rifle, a Savage short action receiver with my 6.8 SPC Douglas barrel cut to 18 inches.

Was January 2014 about 51 degrees, low winds 15-20 mph. The final two shot hole in the center ended up 0.187 inches

Will eventually be the grandson's as he fell in love with this rifle. He has young (12) eyes and can put the entire magazine inside the bulls eye.

post-14658-0-30153400-1439875509_thumb.j

post-14658-0-30829800-1439875669_thumb.j

post-14658-0-63189600-1439875782_thumb.j

post-14658-0-61332100-1439875825_thumb.j

Edited by breastroker

Two round groups are not sufficient to make claims of .18 MOA.  Typcially, 3, 5, and 10 round groups are your MOA standards.  Most around here have settled on 5 round groups.  Therefore, IME these are not legitimate .18 MOA groups.  

Sharp rifle though.

Edited by StainTrain

Normally you shoot 3 shots before re-adjusting a scope. But when bullets are $1.25 each and the shots are touching, I went to 2 shot groups, with a BIG SMILE..

So yes, those are two (2) shot groups at 100 yards. Using Hornady 110 V-Max

It's not even my best shooting Savage, my Savage 10TR has shot 3 shots through one hole and the second out of the 4 bisected the first shot.

My bucket list is to shoot this rifle 5 shots through one hole. Hard to do in Las Vegas as there are usually winds because the range is at the base of the mountains.

I don't consider myself a great shot, but I work at it a lot. Every range session is working on the basic shooting skills. And I use high (25) power scopes to see where the point of impact is.

Edited by breastroker

Shoot that same rifle at 5 and 10-rd groups, and you'll get a better understanding at what it - and you - can do.  With practice, your 5-groups will be good, and your 10-groups will be larger.  That's a combination of you AND the rifle.  Your 5 and 10 groups won't be 0.18", though. 

Shoot that same rifle at 5 and 10-rd groups, and you'll get a better understanding at what it - and you - can do. With practice, your 5-groups will be good, and your 10-groups will be larger. That's a combination of you AND the rifle. Your 5 and 10 groups won't be 0.18", though.

I would guess it will turn out .90 to 1.25 on 5 and and 2.25 to 2.50 on the 10.

That's based on those shots, equipment and figures pulled right out of my rear. But I bet I am close. ::)

Edited by StainTrain

It is a hunting rifle, not a semi automatic. I have shot dime sized 3 shot groups for it, using Hornady 120 SST.

If you wanted to put up money, I would bet a 10 shot group would not be nearly as big as you wished it were. But it only holds 4 rounds in the magazine. That's three more than I need for a deer or piggy.

My AR 308 DPMS SASS barrel will shoot a half inch 10 shot group though. But I prefer to focus on cold bore shots. I have 4 out of 4 cold bore shots over 5 weeks all dead center. That is match grade sniper accuracy.