• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Hodgdon has a new powder out... CFE 223

98Z5V

New powder fron Hodgdon now - CFE 223.  "Copper Fouling Eraser."  They list is as a great powder for the .223 Rem as well as the .308 Win.  I might be ditching Varget if this stuff delivers.  <thumbsup>

The technology developed for the U.S. Military that greatly deters copper fouling is now available in CFE™223 for your reloads!

Introduced in January 2012, this versatile spherical rifle propellant incorporates in its formula CFE, Copper Fouling Eraser. This ingredient, originally used in military propellant, greatly deters copper fouling. It contributes to longer periods of top accuracy with less barrel cleaning time. Being a spherical powder, metering is superbly accurate. CFE 223 yields top velocities in many cartridges such as the 204 Ruger, 223 Remington/5.56mm NATO, 22-250 Remington and the 308 Winchester/7.62mm NATO, plus many, many more. Match, Varmint and AR shooters will love this one!

http://www.hodgdon.com/new_prod.html

They're getting 2800 fps from a 168gr Sierra HPBT...  :o

I mostly see 5.56 in 55 and 62 grain,do any other weights then have to be fabed up? <dontknow>

68, 69, 75, and 77gr.  <thumbsup>

1:8 twist barrels and the 68, 69gr stuff, then the 1:7 barrels with the 75 and 77gr.  ;D

Anyone actually got any of this new powder??be great if it shoots like Varget only cleaner....like trying new stuff but always come back to Varget...XBR is a close 2nd...... Seen it advertised but the 3 places I get powder from haven't seen or heard of it yet.....manufacturer get the cart before the horse.???

I've already seen it for sale, online, but only at a few places so far. 1lb and 8lb jugs.  Tempted to order a 1lb jug, but I'm trying to hold out for an upcoming Cabela's trip next weekend, just to see if they have it yet.  <thumbsup>

Anyone actually got any of this new powder??be great if it shoots like Varget only cleaner....like trying new stuff but always come back to Varget...XBR is a close 2nd...... Seen it advertised but the 3 places I get powder from haven't seen or heard of it yet.....manufacturer get the cart before the horse.???

I haven't that powder but I bought a pound of Superformance. Going to try it out on some 300 wsm loads. Picked up some 165gr and 168gr bullits for the 308 and 300wsm guns.

Mike H

Load data is sparse on Superformance.....there's a ton of calibers that Hornady  factory loads but no data on the box...maybe a 1/4 of those Hogdens has published data for...they are quite vehement about NOT using it in any cartridge they haven't published data for....I've shot some of the. 223 with new 53 gr Vmax and its super accurate ...in one rifle I can't match it with handloads....even pulled a bullet to visually inspect powder and charge weight...(for scientific entertainment only, of course.) Noticed primers are crimped also...

Ok, I made up 30 rounds of Superformance 5 each with 69.0 grains (68.9 to 69.1) for the 300 WSM. Used the following bullits :

Nosler Accubond 165 gr spitzer

Nosler Ballistic Tip 165 gr spitzer

Sierra Gameking 165 gr hpbt

Hornady SST 165 gr

Hornady Match 168 gr bthp

Hornady FP 170 gr

I may do another batch later today with H4350.

Mike H

I just picked up the new " reloader magazine" ,I think it may be put out by Hodgdon , but the guy doing the tests on the new CFE powder was impressed with it & there are a bunch of loadings for it , even 308 .

This mag. also has an article on the 300BLK loads & H110 for 44 mag.. I will try to post them or they can probably be seen on the Hodgdon web sight , I will look  tomorrow .

From Outdoor Life

Regarding Powders                                                  Faster:Changes to the powder-grain geometry allow Superformance powders to generate up to 200 fps of additional velocity while maintaining safe pressures.        More Accurate: No matter whether the thermometer reads -40 or 165 degree F--a remarkable temperature range-IMR8208XBR will deliver cosistent performance with excellent accuracy:IMR 8208 Test Results:175-grain .308 Win                      --20 degrees F / 2,585 fps / 55,900 psi.                                                              165 degrees F /2,597 fps / 56,000 psi.                                                              Cleaner: An ingredient in CFE223 removes copper fouling from your barrel as it follows the bullet down the bore,making it ideal for shooting where a high round count can degrade accuracy and performance.                                                    We can't change the laws of physics,says Hodgon but we can bend them.If we learn to control the pressures better,there's no limit.FYI.

• 3 weeks later...

It's an intriguing new powder, and I've had good luck with most Hodgdon powders, but did you look at the load listed for a 168 gr. BTHP in e .308/7.62... 49 grains! For most powders in the burn range suitable for a gas gun this is a huge charge.

That almost doesn't surprise me, as the charges listed in Hodgdon's website calculator are generally way past the max for gas guns both from my experience and from other reloading companies websites (Sierra, Hornady, Ramshot, etc.)

Don't get me wrong. I like Hodgdon powders, and I hope this powder is the next best thing since sliced bread. But use caution.