• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

My first gun

JMJ

I bet you'll keep it as long as you live. Classic 1st shotgun.

My 1st was also a shotgun but purchased behind enemy lines even back in the early '70s. I couldn't buy it. It was NJ and I was good enough to be cannon fodder for Vietnam if they had sent me there, they didn't. I had been trained in all sorts of ways to kill people and destroy things and taught to improvise the killing and destruction if need be, use rockets, machine guns, grenades all sorts of explosives, yada, yada, but to buy a single shot shotgun so that I could go bird hunting on leave? NO WAY! So my brother made the purchase after I handed him the $. NJ is even worse today. BTW, I still have that shotgun. Not long after I got out I took it to a gunsmith and had it modified. He told me, "The work will cost more than the gun is worth, you sure you want to do this?". I did. I've owned much more expensive shotguns since and they were nice, but that single shot went out with me far more often than the other shotguns. The others have been sold off, but I still have the 1/2 century old Stevens.

8 hours ago, BrianK said:

I bet you'll keep it as long as you live. Classic 1st shotgun.

My 1st was also a shotgun but purchased behind enemy lines even back in the early '70s. I couldn't buy it. It was NJ and I was good enough to be cannon fodder for Vietnam if they had sent me there, they didn't. I had been trained in all sorts of ways to kill people and destroy things and taught to improvise the killing and destruction if need be, use rockets, machine guns, grenades all sorts of explosives, yada, yada, but to buy a single shot shotgun so that I could go bird hunting on leave? NO WAY! So my brother made the purchase after I handed him the $. NJ is even worse today. BTW, I still have that shotgun. Not long after I got out I took it to a gunsmith and had it modified. He told me, "The work will cost more than the gun is worth, you sure you want to do this?". I did. I've owned much more expensive shotguns since and they were nice, but that single shot went out with me far more often than the other shotguns. The others have been sold off, but I still have the 1/2 century old Stevens.

First off, thank you for your service sir! 

I used to be a shotgunaholic growing up. I had this Topper, a 16ga 870 wingmaster, a 20ga LT20 1100, a Browning Auto5 stalker and a Browning Citori 425 12ga. Somewhere around 2011 I sold/traded all but the Topper and Browning Auto-5 to support my black rifle disease. I don’t do much duck or other bird hunting anymore so I don’t missed what I’ve sold, but I have started to want a Stoeger M3500 competition rig for blasting hogs. 

My first gun was also a shotgun. 20 ga., single shot Harrington & Richardson junior model.  I believe I was 9 or 10, when my dad got me that.  That gun brought many a squirrel to the dinner table in my youth. Still have it. Loaded with #3 buckshot as one of multiple home defense guns strategically placed about the homestead.  Hard to believe its pushing 50 y.o.

My first gun was also a Harrington & Richardson junior model single shot, though mine was a 12 ga.   I also still have it....it was the first shotgun all of my children fired when they were of age. (which varied on child) It has age on it now, and is well used...though it still gets pulled out occasionally to take a few squirrels...  

• 1 month later...
On 10/12/2022 at 3:57 AM, MtnMike said:

My first gun was also a shotgun. 20 ga., single shot Harrington & Richardson junior model.  I believe I was 9 or 10, when my dad got me that.  That gun brought many a squirrel to the dinner table in my youth. Still have it. Loaded with #3 buckshot as one of multiple home defense guns strategically placed about the homestead.  Hard to believe its pushing 50 y.o.

Got the same at about 10. Still have mine as well. Mine isn’t quite as old though. Only about 32 years. 

My first was a ducks unlimited 50 year edition 12 ga. Youth sized stalk. I shot it as a youth and put it in a safe until I was in my late 30's when I decided to duck hunt with a friend... I couldn't hit shits.  That's when I realized it was a short stalk. Sold that shits for a benelli sbe 2 and straight wacked them ducks. First pistol was a pd trade in glock 22. Still shoot that gat like a champ. 

My first handgun was a Ruger MK2 govt I still have and love for squirrel hunting and pest popping. First centerfire handgun was a Glock G23c I bought at 21 and sold to a coworker in 2015 to fund a G20 10mm, I never looked back that G20’s my favorite pistol. Doesn’t carry much different than my G22, but damn it extends my reach.