• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Still hard to find

NightStalker

1 hour ago, The Paladin said:

I just ordered (2) 1lb cans of Varget directly from Hodgdon on their website.  They limit your order to a max quantity of (5), but at $63.00 a pound, my budget wont allow a 5lb order anyway...

Thanks for the tip, although buying three lbs with shipping and hazmat makes it 83$ per lb for me.  I don’t need to try a popular powder that bad.  Will have to wait a few years I suppose till I randomly see it for sale locally!  Is it better than... IMR 4895 or 4064?

I understand exactly what you mean... is it better than 4896 or 4064?  Honestly, IMO, not really...but I have a few recipes for specific guns I own...and Varget is my go to for my 30.06 hunting loads, amongst a few others....

Expensive purchase, but will last me for a while considering what I am using it for. 

I’m glad I didn’t buy that online Varget... today I went in to buy an elk tag and lo and behold, lots of powder and Varget staring down at me from the shelf.  I bought three there and saved a hundred bucks.  I think our days of powder scarcity must be nearly over... Most of this summer lots of other powders were in stock at this small town gun store in my state.  For primers though all they had were those damn BRs, just like the online situation...