• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

My Saint .308

Lentuk

I have owned several large frame AR pattern rifles over the years, been lurking here since 2010, decided I needed a light version and picked this up, not as light as I would have liked but he price was right, have approximately 400 rounds of Lake City through it without a hitch.

Only upgrades so far are a LaRue MBT-2S Trigger and a Trijicon HX  Credo 1-6 mounted in a Warne XSKEL mount, 9.3 pounds.

ARFX Skeleton Stock will replace the adjustable carbine stock, not much of a fan of the carbine stocks.

20221026_074958.thumb.jpg.68523058bacd90b6425fca02ea25d444.jpg

Looks like you are on a similar path that I walked down when putting together my Windham Weaponry hunting AR10. I remember the Saint was in my final 3 for a per-assembled, reliable, reasonably priced not too heavy rifle.  Let us know how you like that stock.  Also curious as to how much that stock weighs?  I ended up going with a Daniel Defense collapsible stock that weighed 7.65 oz on my scales, which I like a lot.  Also, being collapsible is good for climbing into tree stands.  I do have a couple of things planned after this deer season to lighten that package up a few more ounces in the off season. Trying to get it back under 9 lbs with an unloaded magazine. I found, a lighter titanium muzzle brake on sale for $35, which is a couple oz. lighter than the Precision Armament M4-72 I currently use. Also leaning towards a Leupold VX3HD 3.5-10x40 which is listed at 13.1 oz, which is couple oz. lighter than the Leupold VX Freedom 3-9x50 I currently use.

WW308 on the scales.jpg

WW308 on the scales 2.jpg

What pattern is the SA Saint large frame? Great looking rifle @Lentuk!

4 hours ago, MtnMike said:

Looks like you are on a similar path that I walked down when putting together my Windham Weaponry hunting AR10. I remember the Saint was in my final 3 for a per-assembled, reliable, reasonably priced not too heavy rifle.  Let us know how you like that stock.  Also curious as to how much that stock weighs?  I ended up going with a Daniel Defense collapsible stock that weighed 7.65 oz on my scales, which I like a lot.  Also, being collapsible is good for climbing into tree stands.  I do have a couple of things planned after this deer season to lighten that package up a few more ounces in the off season. Trying to get it back under 9 lbs with an unloaded magazine. I found, a lighter titanium muzzle brake on sale for $35, which is a couple oz. lighter than the Precision Armament M4-72 I currently use. Also leaning towards a Leupold VX3HD 3.5-10x40 which is listed at 13.1 oz, which is couple oz. lighter than the Leupold VX Freedom 3-9x50 I currently use.

WW308 on the scales.jpg

WW308 on the scales 2.jpg

@MtnMike how do you like tha VX-Freedom? I’ve got an older Vari-x iic 3-9x50mm and a VX2 2-7x33 I picked up just after Leupold discontinued that line. I really like both of them and haven’t had the chance to check out a VX-Freedom yet, but expect it to be on par since it’s the replacement for the Vx2’s. Gorgeous rifle btw. 

13 minutes ago, Lentuk said:

DPMS

Thanks! I still haven’t seen their large frame rifles in person, should be an awesome rig if it’s anything like their small frame guns. Y’all got me curious to weigh my Aero M5 now, I’m guessing it’s 10# with the scope/mount on it. 

Edited by JMJ

@JMJ  I like the VX-Freedom 3-9x50 a lot.  Very good scope for the price and weight. I also have an older VXii 3-9x40 on a Rem 700BDL (which was my primary deer rifle for ages) and I think the Freedom is a bit brighter.  Not sure if that is due to the increased objective size or updated materials.  My plan is to move the Freedom to a new muzzle-loader for next season.

1 hour ago, MtnMike said:

@JMJ  I like the VX-Freedom 3-9x50 a lot.  Very good scope for the price and weight. I also have an older VXii 3-9x40 on a Rem 700BDL (which was my primary deer rifle for ages) and I think the Freedom is a bit brighter.  Not sure if that is due to the increased objective size or updated materials.  My plan is to move the Freedom to a new muzzle-loader for next season.

Thanks man. I’ve currently got a Vortex diamondback 4-12x40mm on a browning a-bolt 7mmRM that’s been my primary deer rifle and it’s a decent scope but suffers some washout from the sun at dawn and dusk that I’ve never noticed with my Leupold scopes. Figuring that Leupold uses some better coatings on their glass. 

1 hour ago, JMJ said:

I think you’re going to love that stock. My brother in-law has on on his 6.8spcii and it’s one of the most comfortable stocks I’ve shot with. 

Yes I really like them, I have used a couple over the years, here is a build from 2013.

030 (2).jpg