• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Guess I'll get this started

Czgunner

Thanks to Matt Cross for adding this subforum!

I'm a lefty and am also left eye dominant. That wasn't an issue during my time the in Army or even later when I started shooting more on my own time. When it did become an issue is when I started putting cans on everything.

My go to 5.56 is a Stag lefty homebuilt that I love to death.

Last spring I put together a Stag 10 in .308 using their 18" upper and I built the lower. I added a Raptor SD charging handle. The only other change to the upper is the addition of the Rifle Speed gas block. For me it was totally worth the price. I love being able to quickly change settings without tools if I shoot commercial loads, handloads, or surplus 7.51x51, with our without the can.

This rifle has been 100% for me. It's still getting broken in, and I'm still trying to learn how to shoot a large frame AR, but the accuracy has been really great.

I get no gas to face, at all when shooting suppressed.

So far, I have used Magpul, Lancer, Larue mags. The Lancers seem to be hard to get the first round chambered. The round seems to drag a bit leaving the mag, but after that they run great. Could still be a break in issue.

I am a lefty and left eye dominant as well. I guess I have never noticed any gas to the face using a normal right ejection AR, whether 5.56, 300 Blk or 308. I am so used to it now it would be strange to go to left ejection. If they had been more common 30 years ago I might have gravitated in that direction. Sounds like a really nice build.

12 minutes ago, Sisco said:

I am a lefty and left eye dominant as well. I guess I have never noticed any gas to the face using a normal right ejection AR, whether 5.56, 300 Blk or 308. I am so used to it now it would be strange to go to left ejection. If they had been more common 30 years ago I might have gravitated in that direction. Sounds like a really nice build.

I've shot many suppressed rifles that gassed me out without a few shots. That's mainly the reason I switched to lefty uppers. Unsuppressed I don't notice any gas, just debris ocassionaly.

13 hours ago, Sisco said:

This is similar to my experience, I’m ambidextrous and left eye dominant. I write right handed and do everything else pretty equally with both, figured out I was left eye dominant around 12 years old when I started competitive shooting with firearms and 3D archery. I shoot everything left handed, but do still practice shooting pistols and carbines right hand to some degree to stay familiar. Currently I only have one left hand rifle, a Browning a-bolt stainless stalker that I really love, but find I can run my righ hand bolt guns faster shooting them lefty. I’ve never shot a left hand AR rifle before, I’ve been curious about them but adapted early to the regular right hand configuration more out of concern for spare parts and such. I currently don’t have a suppressor, but if or more likely when I do get one this info will likely get me to pick up a left hand upper receiver or two. 

2 hours ago, JMJ said:

This is similar to my experience, I’m ambidextrous and left eye dominant. I write right handed and do everything else pretty equally with both, figured out I was left eye dominant around 12 years old when I started competitive shooting with firearms and 3D archery. I shoot everything left handed, but do still practice shooting pistols and carbines right hand to some degree to stay familiar. Currently I only have one left hand rifle, a Browning a-bolt stainless stalker that I really love, but find I can run my righ hand bolt guns faster shooting them lefty. I’ve never shot a left hand AR rifle before, I’ve been curious about them but adapted early to the regular right hand configuration more out of concern for spare parts and such. I currently don’t have a suppressor, but if or more likely when I do get one this info will likely get me to pick up a left hand upper receiver or two. 

I have one suppressed and do notice the gas a little bit (300Blk). I shoot all my handguns right handed although I can shoot them left handed as well.

12 minutes ago, Sisco said:

I have one suppressed and do notice the gas a little bit (300Blk). I shoot all my handguns right handed although I can shoot them left handed as well.

Whenever I get around to getting a can it’s likely live on my 300blk pistol unless I’d get a Ruger RAR in 300blk so I’ll keep that in mind. I’ve got two lowers set aside for my two youngest kids to build out with them and have to acquire uppers for them anyway so picking up a lefty to swap out could work well. 

15 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

My CaveMan Thoughts.

New section, lots of words, lack of pics in new section with lots or words.

:ttiwwop:

Just some CaveMan thoughts on it...

I'm no photographer, and my rifle isn't much to look at, but here it is:

ETA: No way to use imgbb to link photos?

IMG-20221106-133725.jpg

Edited by Czgunner

• 2 months later...

I shot this again last week while working up some handloads.

Suppressed with the rifle buffer system, this thing is so sweet to shoot. Switching from the low powered 7.62x51 to the hotter handloads it was nice to so easily change gas settings with the Riflespeed gas block. I really like this thing.

Since Stag is now part of the corporation that also owns Aero Precision, I wonder if Ballistic Advantage also makes barrels for the Stag rifles. I sort of have an itch to put a nicer barrel in someday. I guess I'll see if I can get this barrel to shoot MOA or tighter.

36 minutes ago, Czgunner said:

Since Stag is now part of the corporation that also owns Aero Precision, I wonder if Ballistic Advantage also makes barrels for the Stag rifles. I sort of have an itch to put a nicer barrel in someday. I guess I'll see if I can get this barrel to shoot MOA or tighter.

I think I heard that BA separated from Aero.  Let me see if I can find public info on that.  That's just what I heard, industry shiit.

Nothing out there publicly.  I'm not saying anything.  Be reading for an industry announcement, though.  Not saying any more on that subject.

Just now, 98Z5V said:

I wonder if Ballistic Advantage also makes barrels for the Stag rifles.

Yes, it's a standard DPMS-based LR-308-patterned barrel.  BA makes barrels that will mesh quite well in STAG Arms guns.  Perfectly. 

3 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

I think I heard that BA separated from Aero.  Let me see if I can find public info on that.  That's just what I heard, industry shiit.

Nothing out there publicly.  I'm not saying anything.  Be reading for an industry announcement, though.  Not saying any more on that subject.

Interesting. I thought all 3 were under the same umbrella.

2 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Yes, it's a standard DPMS-based LR-308-patterned barrel.  BA makes barrels that will mesh quite well in STAG Arms guns.  Perfectly. 

I was thinking about a Criterion Hybrid.

I'm trying to get Stag to call me about about getting a barrel nut wrench. They are some sort of proprietary nut. I can't get a straight answer from anybody about whether the Aero nut wrench works or not.

Edited by Czgunner

52 minutes ago, Czgunner said:

I shot this again last week while working up some handloads.

Suppressed with the rifle buffer system, this thing is so sweet to shoot. Switching from the low powered 7.62x51 to the hotter handloads it was nice to so easily change gas settings with the Riflespeed gas block. I really like this thing.

My friend from work brought his new Stag 308 out to the farm.

With about 50 rounds through it l had it shooting under 1 moa w/M118 175 gr.

Just now, shooterrex said:

My friend from work brought his new Stag 308 out to the farm.

With about 50 rounds through it l had it shooting under 1 moa w/M118 175 gr.

Nice. I've only shot M80 ball and some 155 grain handloads (I'm currently working on). I haven't bought anything heavier yet. I'm getting around 2" with M80 and getting closer to an inch with the Nosler 155 CC handloads.

25 minutes ago, Czgunner said:

Nice. I've only shot M80 ball and some 155 grain handloads (I'm currently working on). I haven't bought anything heavier yet. I'm getting around 2" with M80 and getting closer to an inch with the Nosler 155 CC handloads.

That's 3 MOA ammo, at best, so don't feel bad.  Not your handloads - that M80 ball stuff  Until you get your handloads sorted out, but they're still 155gr pills going through a 1:10" twist barrel, that really wants to shoot 168~175gr projectiles.  Those 155s aren't gonna be the ultimate projectile that you use to determine how accurate your gun really is.  They're just not.  They're too light. 

To determine how accurate your barrel really is, you need to feed it what it's meant for.  You pick up some Federal Gold Medal Match 168s and 175s, shoot those - see how that barrel does.  That's gonna tell you if you have an accurate gun or not.  After that, and your mind is assured - work on your 155s and make them the best that you can make them.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also a lefty, built a 6.5 Creedmoor on a Maga Arms Maten, right hand eject, JP Lmos bcg, 16" X-Caliber barrel 1:8 twist, Rifle length gas port, adjustable gas block, 14" switch with m-lock hand guard, Magpul Stock with carbine weighted buffer and spring.  Topped off with a Sig Sauer Easy6 BDX 5-30x56 with kilo1600 BDX range finder. added a silencerco can to finish it off. 

Shoots like a dream with no blow back.  Just picked up another set of Mega Arms Maten for my next build.  looking at the .277 fury, but haven't really decided.

Traynut