• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Any Paul supporters in the community?

jlaw

Hi there ladies and gentlemen. Let me start this topic by saying that in doing so I do not mean to offend or upset anybody. I know that a lot of people are sensitive about there political affiliation, don't like to talk about who they are voting for, and think that it is just plain rude to ask. I DO NOT wish to piss anyone off or start an argument.

I would in fact like to know if there are any Military, LEO's, and just plain old folks like me out there supporting Dr. Ron Paul. Im sure there has to be some!!!!! After all Paul gets more donations from the military than all candidates combined. Speak up guys! 3rd then 2nd, not as unelectable as the media might say huh? For me, and this is my opinion. He is the only person I will vote for. Shoot I might even right him in if a have to  :P !

Yep. Mine and Paul's political views are not only pretty much identical but we seam to have researched allot of the same stuff about our state and come to some of the same conclusions.

I actually briefly wondered if I was dreaming or drugged the first time I saw him speak. Of course, I was also sleep deprived at the moment but still...

I would have thought those laying down their lives for our country would most appreciate an indiscriminate follower of our constitution.

Since I spend most of my time working I rarely get to look up and find out which way the political winds are blowing.

What little I hear on the car radio  when I'm driving to work or home has not been favorable.

The media seems to be trying to discredit him.

I'd be interested in learning more.

Send me a PM about it if you are worried about stirring up a hornets nest.

Bob

How were you offended?  Please list specifics of what offended you, so members know what not to do.  That would be greatly appreciated.

I think the absence of petty political bickering led someone to believe that we have a strict "no politics" rule, like a few other popular shooting forums.

Just to clarify, political discussion isn't discouraged here, we just want people to act their age when the topic is political.

Yep. Mine and Paul's political views are not only pretty much identical but we seam to have researched allot of the same stuff about our state and come to some of the same conclusions.

I actually briefly wondered if I was dreaming or drugged the first time I saw him speak. Of course, I was also sleep deprived at the moment but still...

I would have thought those laying down their lives for our country would most appreciate an indiscriminate follower of our constitution.

Good to know someone feels the same! I watch all the debates and try to follow the game as much as my schedule allows for it. Sometimes when Paul speaks it gives me goose bumps. We Dam sure need a man that defends the constitution first and formost! Great guy hey, 78 years old workin 18 hours a day for liberty. I sure hope if I live to that age I have as much energy!

Saying these things I wanna say I am not a frantic, pot smoking, extremist, or a racist. Usually when you say I support Paul that's the judgment that gets passed on you. Sad really.

I blame the media for this. That's my opinion. Seems like they will say whatever they can to discredit him. A perfect example is them bringing up news letters he DID NOT write from 20 years ago that have been disavowed by Paul for a long long time. Saying he is a racist.

All I can say is I'll keep phoning from home, I'll keep donating my hard earned money ( trust me I ain't got much of it !!  ;D ), and I'll keep trying to tell my friends and family as much as I can about the Dr.

Everyone knows you don't need to be a pot head to support him and his supporters are present enough to make it clear what types they are.

Regarding racism, I think that's mostly because he has been critical of the American Civil War and the union's agenda. I'm actually making a documentary about that (proving that Lincoln was a tyrant) and believe it or not, virtually ALL of the negative criticism and racial accusations levied against me have come from the white community. All the black folks I've discussed it with have expressed allot of interest in it, mainly because I'm one of the last people on the planet to fit the profile of a racist and because they have enough sense to know that the outcome of the Civil War didn't do them too many favors and are basically questioning what they're being told.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that the vast majority of accusations of Paul being racist are coming from the white community. There's fools wherever you go but the black community as a whole seams to know better. Few things anger black folks like white men taking credit for mercy they never showed.

I would love to see that doco whenever you are done! I spend a lot of time studying history. So that sort of thing is right up my ally. Be sure to send me a PM my friend when you complete it.

As far as everyone knows you don't have to be a pothead to support Ron... Try telling that to people in my neck of the woods. All I hear is " only people who want drugs legalized support him" . It's bullpoopy and it sickens me.

I personally dont think drugs should be legalized. If marijuana can help a person with lucimia from being in agonizing pain. So be it let em have it. Better than getting a person hooked on opiots... Just my 2 cents.

But I don't see with things like the NDAA bill being passed, and the unemployment level the way it is. So much debt, so many struggling Americans. Why the $@&"

Is it even an issue.

Drug abuse angers me to no end but I DO think it should be legalized simply because outlawing it only makes the existing problem worse.

Drug abuse is something that needs to be gotten under control but outlawing it is not the answer.

Have a look at this. A very good libertarian made program on the problems with the drug war.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3025396475247394113

How was I offended?  Simple.  I come here ( here being 308AR.com) to talk guns, not to discuss politics. 

If I wanted to talk politics, I would go to one of the many boards dedicated to politics.

I come here to talk guns, and gun related things, to relax from "the real world" where politics invades every waking moment.

The title of this board is 308AR.com, not 308AR and politics.com.

Unless I'm wrong, in which case ,I guess I'll have to find another board to hang around at.

Respectfully

Terry

the other alternative is you simply skip this post, no harm no foul. everyone is allowed to speak here. no one wants you to leave and i don't believe he intended to offend you. the club house part of the forum says anything of topic and legal. seems to me that fit the bill. so look at all the other posts and then clear this one out.

A very logical, and rational reply.

The exception being, I'm obsessive/compulsive.  If I read something,,,,even if I know it will "upset" me,I HAVE to read it.

It just seems to me,,that if the poster begins a topic with " I hope this does not offend anyone" that that post should never have been posted in the first place.

Respectfully

Terry

This specific part of the board is for matters unrelated to firearms. Also, when I was young, they still taught emotional self-control. Apparently we live in a culture that has completely thrown out the principal of learning to control one's self. Perhaps that and peer pressure are why things like Tobacco are still making millions even though everyone knows it's going to kill them. Not controlling yourself doesn't do anyone any good in the long run.

FWIW, I don't see political discussions doing allot of good on these boards. The very factors that have divided conservatives nation wide and put Obama in office will ruin friendships here on this board sooner or later. It's a matter of when, not if.

I believe this form is like and what brother Robo described as bellying up to the bar and having a no holds barred conversation with a bro,without judgement.As gentlemen we can agree to disagree.When the issue of unions was mentioned and the rebuttals made was I hot,yes...do I respect my brothers for their opinions yes.The media is a very powerful tool,that is why its the first thing taken over.Radio,newspaper,and T.V. the control that it can exert over others is truly amazing.Not long ago when Dr. Paul first came on the scene as libertarian which the media characterised as a communist,now he is considered main stream by most its whatever media shapes a person to be.I think pot is the same as alcohol and should be treated and taxed accordingly,some studies have shown it to be less harmful than tobacco.Outlawing pot started during the depression when Randolph Hearst blamed the Mexicans for the state of the economy and the drug [ media] at the time instead of the bankers and those at the top responsible for the callamity sounds familiar..It's easier to deflect blame and have a scapegoat IMO.As for the snippet that you should be able to ingest anything you want is bullpoopy, I have seen first hand how addiction to herion,coke,and meth change to a person into the devil where they will lie,steal,physically hurt and kill others for there own selfish ends.Many of those family,friends,and innocent people.I vote for who is best for the whole of the nation,don't have enough information yet.I stand for the 2ND amendment of that there is no compromise,am also a member of the N.R.A..Brother Terry this is but one of many threads 8).Respectfully Rene IMO.

Hi there ladies and gentlemen. Let me start this topic by saying that in doing so I do not mean to offend or upset anybody. I know that a lot of people are sensitive about there political affiliation, don't like to talk about who they are voting for, and think that it is just plain rude to ask. I DO NOT wish to piss anyone off or start an argument.

I would in fact like to know if there are any Military, LEO's, and just plain old folks like me out there supporting Dr. Ron Paul. Im sure there has to be some!!!!! After all Paul gets more donations from the military than all candidates combined. Speak up guys! 3rd then 2nd, not as unelectable as the media might say huh? For me, and this is my opinion. He is the only person I will vote for. Shoot I might even right him in if a have to  :P !

Guys, I feel your misssing my point.

If the original poster "didn't want to upset anyone",,,,,,,,Why did he post?

On "other" board, there is an "ignore" button, where you can just "ignore"  any person that you disagree with.  That is all I really wish for.    I, personally, make it a firm rule NOT to discuss politics with friends,,,,,,I have to few friends to annoy any of them.

A "belly up to the bar" political discussion is not for me. Not because I cannot hold my own.  I just don't want to try to overwhelm my opponent with rhetoric

Respectfully

Terry

Respectfully

Terry

so your more upset by this???

Guys, I feel your misssing my point.

On "other" board, there is an "ignore" button, where you can just "ignore"  any person that you disagree with.

you would ignore him because of this? i feel this is overboard. just ignore this post. i'm done.

Guys, I feel your missing my point.

On "other" board, there is an "ignore" button, where you can just "ignore"  any person that you disagree with.  That is all I really wish for.    I, personally, make it a firm rule NOT to discuss politics with friends,,,,,,I have to few friends to annoy any of them.

A "belly up to the bar" political discussion is not for me. Not because I cannot hold my own.  I just don't want to try to overwhelm my opponent with rhetoric

Respectfully

Terry

Respectfully

Terry

To address your issues in the order you listed them:

#1. There is nothing wrong with a disclaimer that makes clear that a member here wants to have a reasonable conversation, not an argument. The fact that such a disclaimer is present makes it easier for the Mods to clean up such threads for the sake of all involved.

#2. Ignoring the appropriate people should be a function of a healthy attitude and mindset, not something that a forum provides for you because you are unwilling. You will find that the grand majority of our membership has gotten along fantastically despite their differences for quite some time without an ignore button, and if you can't live without it, chances are you won't be happy here. Please do not confuse this simple fact with an ultimatum.

#3. Rhetoric makes for a fantastic argument, facts change perspectives. You're welcome to use rhetoric if you like, but if you really want to change someone's mind, I'm betting that you'll find plain facts much more useful.

#4. I'm pretty sure that anyone who would abandon you as a friend because of your political stance, was never truly your friend in any case.

#5. I respect your decision to avoid political discussion amongst friends and peers, I see the wisdom therein and my personal preference is much the same. My own experience has been that most arguments come down much more to differences of perspective than differences of principle. The problem is usually one of pride ie. "My perspective is more important than yours.."