• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

M5 Running

unforgiven

Carbine recoil system.  If it's a full-on Aero gun, that means the receiver extension that shipped with it is 7.100" internal depth (too deep), the buffer is 2.500" long and weighs 3.8oz, and the spring is unknown.

In the opening, he stated "it's still WAY overgassed..."...

No, it's not overgassed at all - it's under-recoiled.  Change the recoil system to something that's really made (and appropriate) for a .308AR, and then shoot that damn thing 5,000 rounds...  

:soap:

Okay, Aero needs to get with it.  They have the pinned comment right under this video, on YouTube.  They offer reasons for this and that, but one comment stands out FIRST, as a GLARING PROBLEM...

"2. If you are shooting an AR10/M5 rifle suppressed, we highly recommend taking that type of use into account when building and selecting components. There are a couple different components that can and do help lower carrier velocity in the case of suppressed use. What this exact formula is will vary depending on use-case, but generally a rifle or A5 buffer system can greatly help on these large frame rifles. Adjustable gas blocks are another great solution if your use-case permits."

You CANNOT RUN the VLTOR A5 Buffer System on a .308AR.  YOU CANNOT.  That A5 buffer is 4.000" long.  You will short-stroke your gun every single round, because the carrier needs to travel another 3/4" just to function properly... 

Wow...   Aero needs work on their carbine recoil system, and their understanding on how important the recoil system is in the function of the rifle...

12 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Wow...   Aero needs work on their carbine recoil system, and their understanding on how important the recoil system is in the function of the rifle...

They don’t need to since a quick Google search will take people to some weirdo name Tom repeating the fix over and over and over. 😏

We'll that was a decent test vid,  abused guns won't run perfectly. I don't have a factory areo gun, I do have several areo 308 home brews and with the preferred gas port and recoil set up.. they all work without question. (Suppressed  also) I think I have an areo bcg in one also.  Not gonna get to even 3k rnds anytime soon.. I do like the a5 platform and most of the components used by areo. This is a good test.

I think he has a .50 cal test also. 🍻🍻

1 hour ago, unforgiven said:

Hahaha I thought you would get a kick out of it 

He had malfunctions with the gun.  He went through a pretty exhaustive test with the gun, for round count.  Only.  Round count only.

He never once listed any specs for the gun - as far as functionality goes.  No barrel length, no gas system length, no gas block journal size, no gas port size.  That covers the gas system info that's necessary.  No internal depth on the carbine extension, no buffer length, no buffer weight, no recoil spring relaxed length, wire diameter, or coil count.  That covers the recoil system.  None of those details, at all.  Just shot it for 5k rounds, had malfunctions.  Didn't try to determine the reason for those malfunctions. 

Aero tried to fire back and be polite - this guy must be YouTube-Important, for that to happen.  They fire back and stick their foot straight in their mouth literally TELLING people to install the A5 recoil system - that WILL NOT WORK on a .308AR.

I don't even know what to think right now, other than Aero needs help.  They need to fix - FIX - their carbine recoil system, for good, forever, and be done with the bullshiit.

1 hour ago, ARTrooper said:

They don’t need to since a quick Google search will take people to some weirdo name Tom repeating the fix over and over and over. 😏

I don't think Aero is watching us.  It would benefit them, in the long run.  This guys vid is only gonna hurt Aero. 

This clown in this vid is only there to try to showcase his shooting skills.  Nothing more. He doesn't know the difference between "overgassed" or "under-recoiled" and that was his opening statement in his vid.  No clue.  Don't take .308AR-building advice from this kid, none of it.  No comprehension on why the recoil system and the gas system need to be balanced, to properly RUN the gun.  AR15s are cookie-cutters...  Slap together just about anything you want, and it'll probably work - unless you drastically fuk something up in the build.  He can SHOOT a gun, but doesn't know what it takes to make a gun RUN forever...

Thus endeth my sermon...  

Edited by 98Z5V

On 12/10/2022 at 1:34 AM, sketch said:

My comment about the 50 (matha fucker) was a zing on his shoulder.  He can stick with a 223. Rifle,  but a solid man can work a 308 just fine. Areo is gtg. Built right. 

His comments kinda fit with him wearing his girlfriend’s skinny jeans 🤣😂🤣

Like so many here have said repeatedly the only thing Aero hasn’t gotten right is the carbine buffer system. I wonder if the firing pin breakage is a result from the ass to gas ratio being off. 

6 hours ago, JMJ said:

I wonder if the firing pin breakage is a result from the ass to gas ratio being off. 

Yes, it certainly would be.  Not to mention the condition of the bolt lugs, and the condition of the barrel extension, from all the "over-gassed" violent locking/unlocking...  

...because the recoil system is too light and not up to the task...

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

Yes, it certainly would be.  Not to mention the condition of the bolt lugs, and the condition of the barrel extension, from all the "over-gassed" violent locking/unlocking...  

...because the recoil system is too light and not up to the task...

With how well Aero does most everything else I’m shocked they haven’t corrected that recoil system issue with how long he M5 has been on the market. 

2 hours ago, JMJ said:

With how well Aero does most everything else I’m shocked they haven’t corrected that recoil system issue with how long he M5 has been on the market. 

Shocks me as well.  First M5 extension I received from them many, many years ago, internal depth was 7.100" internal.  Shiit.  That's no even a spec to look at, at all.  It was shocking.  Disappointing.  They're still shipping those...

I wish they understood carbine recoil systems for large frames.  They just don't.  Seen some of the CS Reps tell people, "You need to run the rifle recoil system for that gun..., it's the 18" barrel..."   <<< The most foolhardy thing I've seen posted, ever...  

Yeah, the one with the proper recoil spring, and a 5.4oz standard rifle buffer.  Same as running the proper recoil spring (Same spring if you're Armalite, the EA-1905 spring - works rifle or carbine recoil, AR-10.  One spring really does do it all), and the H3 (5.4oz) carbine buffer...   

Common sense isn't so common, anymore...  They send you the H1 buffer, at 3.8oz...  The logic just doesn't compute, for me.  I understand the basics - I don't understand how they can tell you the 5.4oz rifle buffer system will work, but you purchased the 3.8oz carbine buffer system from them, on a complete gun...   

Go back to the drawing board, guys.  Do the BASIC math.  It's right there in front of you, for fuk's sake...  Buffer mass makes ALL the difference in these things.

• 6 months later...
16 hours ago, jeffery said:

wonder who makes the barrel? im guessing ballistic advantage ?

Correct.  That's not the issue, though.  The fucked up recoil system is the issue.

On 12/8/2022 at 9:55 PM, 98Z5V said:

This clown in this vid is only there to try to showcase his shooting skills.  Nothing more. He doesn't know the difference between "overgassed" or "under-recoiled" and that was his opening statement in his vid.  No clue.  Don't take .308AR-building advice from this kid, none of it.  No comprehension on why the recoil system and the gas system need to be balanced, to properly RUN the gun.  AR15s are cookie-cutters...  Slap together just about anything you want, and it'll probably work - unless you drastically fuk something up in the build.  He can SHOOT a gun, but doesn't know what it takes to make a gun RUN forever...

Thus endeth my sermon...  

Back to this - time has told the tale.  This kid is internet famous now, for bring up a topic for a minute, then shooting fast for the next 9 minutes of his vid - and not really explaining a single thing.  As well as vids out there about how unsafe he is. 

And, he's TRAINING people now...  Wow.

Edited by 98Z5V

Im about as squeaky new as it gets to AR rifles and builds and with that said I honestly was thinking that the the jams had to be related to the buffer system. If that is so then if i can figure it out then why in the world couldn't he? Of course I could be way wrong

Holy chit batman, an hour and twenty two minutes......sorry.......at my age I'm not willing to give the kid that much of my time....sorry.

"It’s been a pretty rough year. But I have missed you guys. And I couldn’t pass up a chance to help get Tom riled up more on a thread."

I also hope things get better for you.  Did you retire recently?......