• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

imschur's .45 ACP AR-15 Project

imschur

I was pondering a 10mm AR-15 for a while but the economics of having yet another caliber and an expensive one at that just didn't make sense. Then Tom posted his Olympic Arms build. That was all it took, I was sold. I ordered an OA dedicated upper and 4 mags. Got a Spikes receiver set all assembled with a Rogers Super Stoc. I decided to try one of those inexpensive JP trigger kits given this weapon isnt for serious target work.

Tom nearly convinced me to go with a dedicated lower but they are pricey and I like the idea that this spikes can be a spare.

I just need to order  a Bad ASS and Ill  be good to go. Most likely Ill change the  handguard but my thoughs are at two ends of the price spectrum. Im thinking either a MOE or a DD OMEGA  <laughs>

Lastly next month I will order a YHM Wraith Suppressor for it. (I hope)

Pictures as soon as the upper arrives.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Just got word my upper shipped. Feels strange buying something someone else put together

I hear ya on that - when mine came in, I had to take it apart and change something, just so I felt better...  :o

You did a FINE job with it.  <thumbsup>

Mine dropped right onto the Aero Precision lower, no issues - had to be that old-skool Oly lower that was doing it.  I've got a 2003 Oly lower (and upper) that I have to tap the takedown pin into, once the pivot pin is locked.  That same upper drops right down on other lowers I've got.  It's definitely something that they do with their lowers, and I swear I read somewhere that they do it for a tight, "no-slop" fit...  PITA sometimes... 

Sights and optics...  Since it's a .45 ACP round, and it's not going to win any long distance competitions, I figured mine was good for 150 yards, though I've stretched it out to 200 yards.  I used a mini red dot setup from Primary Arms, in the American Defense QD mount, with MagPul flip-ups.  <thumbsup>

It's a thought...  <dontknow> <laughs>

• 2 years later...

bazooka brothers dedicated 45 acp using modified grease gun mags. mech-tech systems uses glock lowers attached either 9mm,40 cal,10mm,45 etc.

Not gonna do it.  Not this time.  Instead, I'll take a different approach.

Hey, dprice, there's a much better dedicated setup out there than the bazooka brothers running modified grease gun mags.

CNC Guns does a dedicated lower that uses stock, standard grease gun mags.  Unmodified.

I think we talked about this 3 years ago.  You didn't dig deep enough...

Edited by 98Z5V

bazooka brothers dedicated 45 acp using modified grease gun mags. mech-tech systems uses glock lowers attached either 9mm,40 cal,10mm,45 etc.

Emailed them over a year ago got an email in aug saying the own had health issues and they would respond to emails in order and never heard back from them