• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Would you trade your .308 for a SCAR-H?

soofley

If you can, would trade your $4000+ .308ar(every single part chosen and handpicked by you and assembled with your own hands) for an FDE SCAR-H plus cash?

or am i crazy  :cookoo: ?

How much do SCAR-H costs this days? google shopping said between $2900-$3200

If you can, would trade your $4000+ .308ar(every single part chosen and handpicked by you and assembled with your own hands) for an FDE SCAR-H plus cash?

or am i crazy  :cookoo: ?

How much do SCAR-H costs this days? google shopping said between $2900-$3200

No. NO. If you do it we will tie you to a chair, force bamboo splinters under your fingernails, then pull your fingernails out with pliers. Then we will treat the resulting wound with some rubbing alcohol, followed by table salt.

Ok, not really, but I would advise against it. I think it really would be a crazy thing to do.  <dontknow> 

Depends on how much cash. If it were enough to fund partially rebuilding the 308. Or i had other newer projects and the 308 didn't mean that much given the new direction. Honestly if it doesn't really gain you anything, or meet your needs then why bother. If you really want a Scar H but want the 308 as well, save your pennies and buy one, they're cheaper than what you build yourself apparently.

If you bitched about the cost of Armalite mags, you'll have an aneurysm when see the prices of Mk17 mags. Also, what's the point of having a quick change barrel system when there are no spare barrels available?

My thoughts exactly! The CM901 changes cals from 5.56x45 to 7.62x51, and everything in between, with a simple upper swap. Additionally, all the uppers use standard AR-15 compatible mags and DPMS LR-308 compatible mags.

Colt is a game changer. I don't doubt for a second that they'll swoop the next Army contract for the small arms infantry rifle.

oh am just asking for a "friend" yes...for a friend.....  :-[

hells i don't think i'll ever ditch my 308ar  ;D

how about AR15 for Scar-L? or FS2000? i know, FS2000 is made out of like 90% recycled plastic.

Friends... they ask the stupidest questions huh! hahaha  ::)

Colt is a game changer. I don't doubt for a second that they'll swoop the next Army contract for the small arms infantry rifle.

Don't think the CM901 was submitted for the IC competition. Colt submitted a piston M4, IIRC.

The only plasti-gun I'm remotely interested in is the ACR.

Saw some pics of Remington's version of the ACR from shot. Looked much better than Bushmaster's attempt. Remmy cut about a pound and a half off the weight by going to a different profile barrel and changing the barrel change system. They also went with a 1/7 twist rather than the original 1/9. While Remington says it's not for civilian sales, you can't find a Bushmaster ACR ANYWHERE right now. My thinking is Bushmaster is getting ready to come out with a Gen II ACR in the near future.

The Mk 16 isn't a bad rifle. I've fired it a couple of times. Like the lightweight, trigger was kinda heavy. Pointed well, though and accuracy was better than what you'd expect from a fighting carbine.

Since the first time I saw the Colt, I've been trying to decide if the ability to switch calibers in the field would be something that would be very desirable to the military. I haven't handled one, but have heard that they are heavier than a standard M4. They may well be lighter than the Armys present 7.62X51 AR which would be a good thing. My question is this, since the lower is not really the heavy part of the gun anyway, I can't picture a soldier actually carrying an extra upper and ammo and mags on his person. So, I find myself wondering if it's really all that great of an advantage. In the field I would think that it would be much easier to just pick up a different gun (that you know runs) vs pulling the pins, putting the other upper on, loading it, and then seeing if it operates. Same thing if you want to switch back to the first cal. I'm just not sure it would be all that great of a thing. I'd be interested to hear from those that  have first hand combat knowledge, if  my scenario is inaccurate/unrealistic.

The ability to switch to a different cal. would be for special op's teams , sniper's & the like . I do not believe the individual troops would benefit from it ,maybe the designated rifleman, but as a whole , logistics would play a big part in what was carried by the troops.

It may help the armorers though & as you said , more stuff to Carrie.

Ammo would not be a factor (except for snipers ) there is usually,  every thing from 5.56 to .50 cal around .

I think the intent is to allow the .mil user to tailor the rifle to his mission. If he was going to be a DMR, then on goes the 20 inch upper with pre-zeroed optic. If he was going to be an assaulter, 10-12 upper with RDS."Cover me while I change uppers." wouldn't go over very well in the middle of a TIC.  For a sniper team, it makes a little more sense, because it allows the sniper to have one upper for movement to the OBJ. Then when he's in the ORP, change over to the precision upper and move into the OBJ.

I started with a factory,  off-the-shelf AR 308 Win rifle.  Then I did the mods I wanted.  I always had a functional rifle (other than the few minutes spent changing parts).

Circumstances recently made me add a functional factory off-the-shelf M-15 to my collection.  I am still doing those small mods but am close to having another rifle I want and like.

There is no way I would let go of either rifle.  If I felt sufficient motivation to have another style or kind of gun,  I would buy one,  or the parts and build it.  If I had to sell an existing gun to buy a new one,  or trade an existing gun,  I would do (and have done) without the new one.

Pardon my use of the generic term gun.  My collection includes black powder and contemporary cartridge rifles and handguns of more kinds than you want to know.  The inclusive term is gun.

Sorry about that. TIC - Troops in Contact. RDS - Red Dot Sight.  OBJ - Objective. ORP - Objective Rally Point, a covered and concealed position short of the actual objective where the patrol can stop, conduct a recon of the OBJ and prepare any mission equipment prior to moving out to the OBJ.