• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

For those who think the .308 is a little small, how about a .300 Win. Mag. ?

With an action long enough for the 300 Win Mag,  the next step is the .416 in one of the shorter cartridges.  400 or 450 gr boattail solid at 2500 fps,  rate of fire -- ??.  Rate of poverty . .  .  .    .      .      asymptotic?  (Have you priced that ammo?)  Gonna need the hydraulic buffer and a hydraulic & pneumatic butt pad shock absorber,  especially if that thing decides to go full auto!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not trying to justify the expense... But I think the +$7k upgrade was for the lower receiver only at that time.

Now they make the Upper, Lower, Handguard, Charging Handle, Gas Block, Buffer Tube, Bolt Carrier and Muzzle Device from titanium. The barrel, trigger, bolt and the rest of the buffer assembly are all still standard parts.

The wear and tear on their machines has got to be atrocious as well.

SI Defense has an extensive history making titanium parts for the aviation industry, including the USAF and NASA. While I'm sure they no strangers to the complications of working with titanium... I guarantee 98Z5V is right, PAIN IN THE ASS is worth a lot of $$$

• 2 months later...

About 6 years ago, I set out designing a semiautomatic rifle in .50BMG and .416 Barrett. And for once in my life, I found someone willing to actually R&D the thing rather then just rip off bits and pieces of one of my designs.

About 5 months in to it, I had a roof leak and it flooded an entire shelf, which included the blueprints, which were almost finished at the time. It was allot of work that just got destroyed and it took me a long time to get over it. I just didn't have it in me to redo it.

The gun was quite impressive though. For one, it had a next gen look, similar to that on the XM-8 and FN-2000. The .50BMG was estimated to weigh around 15lbs and the .416 a little lighter. They both had their own magazines as well which made a HUGE difference with the .416, as the .416 rifle; according to the blueprints, would have only been a little larger then an AR-10 and the magazine would have probably been mistakable for a .338 Lapua mag. The mags were meant to be made of a smoke see-through synthetic and were a very similar design to the P-mags. The action was a little unique though. Gas piston was similar to that on the SKS but it had a forward mounted recoil spring just like on the M-14. Interestingly, it could have been made as a bullpup and it's unique short BCG (a little less then 1/2 the length of the AR-15s, save for the recoil rod) meant that the gun could be made as small as an AR-15 in terms of basic dimensions. .50BMG would have been pushing it for a bullpup but doable.

I had started on a smaller caliber .308 updated version but that turned in to a furniture set for the AR-10/LR308 which I have all worked out but have not really gotten anywhere yet on physically developing. When I first came to this board, I was trying to get an lr308 action made in .416 Barrett. I still haven't completely given up on that as Barrett Arms has been surprisingly willing to work with me on it.

A .22 Magnum California version is still undecided, though I have most of what I need to build it.

Anyway, the point is that there's allot of un-ventured room for building smaller size, magnum and big boar caliber practical rifles.

This .300 Magnum sounds like a great idea. My only complaint is that it took so long for anyone to come out and do it.