• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What to do What to do..........

Magwa

First off this is a great site and everyone has been super friendly so, i am going to ask for advice from those who know you guys....

I need a all around good battle rifle /hunting rifle gun must do double duty, so it must be light as possible and must be versatile, can take a scope and have open sights as back up . I guess i want to build/ buy a 308 AR 10 carbine or a weapon of that class i love my M4 built by myself i have somewhat but limited skills on building a rifle i would say i am a total newb when it comes to 308 AR platform so I want a carbine, light as possible accurate as possible, and must have front and real open sights...

so should I attempt to build and what would said rifle cost to build(ballpark) or should i just buy a AR 10 carbine and if so which platform new or old . I understand the difference between the A's and B's and really it does not matter to me as i will have enough of either magazines whichever i get so in closing I need some sound advice... the cost of buying a complete rifle is very appealing yet I know you can always build alot better but i am not sure i need that much better than a factory rifle for my needs... thanks much Mike

Hi Magwa !    Two words...    build it !

Im a mega ma 10 guy....all of my rifles shoot sub moa and come in not too heavy, so get yourself a Rainier arms

select 16" barrel or an 18" and the mega upper/lower set and go to town! Ive got two 18 inchers and one 16 incher,and couldnt be more pleased.  <thumbsup> Wash

Build it, and you will spend $2k+ getting all the exact parts you want. You'll go overboard on parts. We all do. You will also need to buy all the 308AR specific tools and equipment needed for the build (mainly the receiver blocks and barrel wrench).

Buy a decent ARMALITE or a DPMS for about $1500 (I highly suggest these two models for what you are looking for).... Learn the rifle, and make modifications as you see fit... over time.

If I was in the market for a complete rifle, I'd buy the new Armalite 16" .308 carbine that takes the Pmags.  I still want one of those.  <thumbsup>

That's the one I posted... I like it a lot too. A little bit of furniture swapping, and I think it'll compete against all others in it's catagory. Simple. Lightweight. Versatile. Best of all, you aren't putting stretch marks on your wallets trying to afford it. (Although, I can say the exact same thing about the DPMS Recon... I really like that one too!)

Tell me about these stretch marks on your wallet...  <munch> <laughs>

98Z  How bout when you build yourself a weapon you also have to build a matching one for your gal?  Talk bout stretch marks! <laughs>...and this is for a woman who had never touched a gun until she met me <laughs>  Wash

Thank you all so much for the quick replies, i think there is a lot of truth in just buying a complete rifle for my needs, the Armalites are hard to find,at least i can not hardly find one for sale the new AR10A carbine is nice with the P mags but no sights, on the other hand the AR10B carbine with the older mags comes with a2 front sight and rear battle sight or carry handle is a complete rifle for the same money as is the DPMS AP4 and it excepts p mags. I will read up on DPMS if anyone here has experience with them please let me know what you think of their quality pretty does not impress me but tough and always going boom when you pull the trigger does.... I think either one will need a new trigger again many thanks for your insights... Mike

Thank you all so much for the quick replies, i think there is a lot of truth in just buying a complete rifle for my needs, the Armalites are hard to find,at least i can not hardly find one for sale the new AR10A carbine is nice with the P mags but no sights,...

Mike, I'd bet we can find somebody on this board that can help you locate one of these rifles.  <thumbsup>

I dont have one available right now and after talking to a few people, there is about a 4 week wait.

But go to your local dealer and have them contact ArmaLite and get on the list and to order an A10A4CBF.

http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=A10A4CBF&ReturnUrl=Categories.aspx?Category=594408c2-b03e-4c8b-8713-83959df8252d

Make sure you use that exact part number too.

Looking at the Armalite new A model from what i can see it would be around 1600 with no sights carry handle 130ish and front clamp on A2 sight 50 so without anything else 1800, the B model already has both sights but the minus is no Pmags and the DPMS has both sights and is about 250 cheaper I will go to town today and see if I can lay my hands on any of these new or used to get a idea of what they feel and look like for fit and finish and get back to you guys thank you so much for the help... Mike

Well , a update unbeknownst to me and sneeky as hell she is the little lady got me a gun for my birthday LOL here i am looking all over and no clue she got me a DPMS LR308 16 inch barrel (she knows i love carbines) with a flip up DPMS rear sight , not a carry handle but hey when your wife says lets go to town for your Bday and she gives you a gun what can you say but honey i love you!

thank you all for looking for me sorry had i known what was going on i would not have asked ya, now all i got to do is find a front sight and get to shooting, and save up for next years bday cause i still want a Armalite... so i look forward to many good times here on the forum pickin ya'lls brains thanks mike lol I am 62 now the gov't can buy me the next one SS on the way.. ;)