• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Recoil reduction for LAR-8

ces777

Anybody know a good muzzlebrake/flash suppressor combo for the LAR-8?

This one from Grizzly is nice - but has a not so nice price...

http://shop.grizzlygunworks.com/product.sc;jsessionid=904FD8F60F99CF076735DFC0C1E3F2F6.qscstrfrnt05?productId=41&categoryId=1

Also, curious if anybody makes the hydraulic buffer tube for LAR-8 like the brownell AR-RESTOR

(http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=22351/Product/AR-RESTOR-trade-)

Finally would the combination of the two cause problems with firing/accuracy?

a good muzzlebrake/flash suppressor combo

Very few combinations like that out there.  AAC makes the Brakeout.  Rainier Arms makes the XTC, but I don't think they make it for .308 ARs - only 5.56 guns. - They make it now for the 300BLK/6.8 SPC applications, but you should call for sure to see if it would fit the RR 308 barrel specs. 

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2315

I'd look at adding weight to the recoil system, to manage recoil.  Couple ways to go about that.

Two options are a heavier buffer, I like heavy buffers.com, call Clint, hell definitely help you out.The other option is a carrier weight System from tubbs, it comes with two weights that go in an inset, which goes in your bcg

this is somthing i have been thinking about doing to with my crap shoulder ive been getting whooped. will the heavy buffer take that much outa it? i was looking at breaks also, but they kinda ugly LOL

@ Shepp "i was looking at breaks also, but they kinda ugly"

Did you check out that link I posted in the original message?  They makes some pretty nice/nice looking breaks but they are expensive. However, they also boast 50% recoil reduction...that combined with a buffer upgrade would possibly make my .308 like shooting a 5.56 or smaller...I am just worried about feed issues...

Brother Spaniky has the whole setup and it looks like it works great <thumbsup>.He was solid on the shot.I have consulted with the great and powerful Oz  <lmao>[98] :o and you can't have one thing do it all <dontknow>.AR15 Performance has different brakes and comps. at half the price.For a comp. Battle comp is what I like.Now I'm looking for a device I can screw a can on for the future and still mitigate barrel movement.

Now I'm looking for a device I can screw a can on for the future and still mitigate barrel movement.

That would be the AAC Brakeout for can attachment - let's you mount any AAC can that attaches via the 51-tooth ratchet mount.  Got one on my Rem 700.  Give me a few, and I'll get a pic uploaded. 

If you wanted a straight brake I would recommend JP Enterprise.  Never used a combo though, can't comment on that.  But as far as the buffer system goes I can't recommend the JP Enterprise silent captured system enough. Superb system, and no more cheese grater sound when you shoot.

JP-Enterprises-Silent-Captured-Spring-System.jpg

If its just recoil,  a Limbsaver butt pad. 

I put one on my DPMS LR-308,  zero felt recoil.

I have a Remington 700 bolt gun  in 7 MM Rem Mag (vintage 1975);  could not tolerate the recoil (through a T-shirt).  Put a Limbsaver on it and the recoil went away;  almost all of it.

Price is about $35 (last time I bought one);  outside shape comes in 4 standard sizes (last time I checked) and a few hundred special shapes to match various brands of shotguns.  Precious little difference in the shape of a gunstock where the wood/plastic meets a shoulder.

My LR-308 needed some new screw holes through the foam pad and plastic baseplate. Also some shaving of the baseplate to fit on the buffer tube.  Easy.  It is not practical/possible to reshape the outside of the Limbsaver pad.  It is usually possible to find a pad that fits acceptably.

If possible,  find a sporting goods store that stocks these and take just enough of the back end of your rifle to check the fit.  Or make an outline of the butt interface on a sheet of paper and take that.

In North Texas and other places/states where the chain has stores,  try Academy.  No promises.

If anyone uses a Limbsaver or equivalent brand butt pad on an AR,  remember that the top mounting screw that goes into the buffer tube end is vented.  It is necessary to drill the hole in the pad base plate so the original screw can be used.  I used a 5/16 Forstner bit to enlarge the hole in the foam (just the foam) to allow the buffer tube to breathe;  and a 1/4 Forstner bit in the bottom mounting hole for easier access with the other screw.  Holes in the plastic plate should,  of course,  be as close-tolerance clearance holes as can easily be managed.

I used a 1 inch (if I remember correctly) wood bit to shave about half the thickness of the Limbsaver base plate on the side facing the rifle so the plate would fit properly against the stock and over the end of the buffer tube.

This is likely to vary depending on the design of your stock.

I am aware of at least two Limbsaver pad base plate designs.  It is just a matter of making it all fit and work.

I grew up shooting bolt rifles and never thought the lr had any recoil to speak of until I started shooting rapid fire at 100 from a bipod and I couldn't believe how much muzzle jump it had. I just received and installed my new Precision Armament m-41 brake and jp adjustable gas block and now I can watch the rounds hit the target through the scope. It literally cut my shot times in half.

I grew up shooting bolt rifles and never thought the lr had any recoil to speak of until I started shooting rapid fire at 100 from a bipod and I couldn't believe how much muzzle jump it had. I just received and installed my new Precision Armament m-41 brake and jp adjustable gas block and now I can watch the rounds hit the target through the scope. It literally cut my shot times in half.

any pictures of it on your rifle? where did you order it from??

I'll try to post a pic but I got that brake from brownells. I have the 20" dpms barrel and the brake looks kind of dorky but it works!

thanks, ive got an 18" dpms barrel. i wish they would show the break on a barrel it would be a better selling point to me :D