• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

1st 308 build, Need help on upper

coleman

Hi,

Not sure where to put this at, so if it is the wrong place please move.

I am wanting to build a 1000yrd ar-308, as i have a range nearby that goes out to 1200yrds, Maybe buy next year i can have this gun built. A few months ago i got in on a group buy for a Tactical Machine 80% 308 lower and was looking at the LR-308 upper with 24" bullbarrel from Brownells, but after reading on this site I am not sure what i want now. I am going to start on the upper next year so i can start saving $$$. I know thier are better barrels out thier that will do what i want but without the weight. So please point me in the right direction. Thanks for your time. Brent

Cerakote is now dry on my mega build.  Put a 20" M110 contour Krieger on it.  My goal was 1k or better, will shoot it in the coming weeks and give feedback.  Have a scope to review (SWFA SS 20x), will be mounting it as soon as i get my rifle back, also reports (will include target pics, load data, etc) on how the intial range visits go.  Maybe it'll steer you to that upper with the 24" barrel, or if all goes as planned, let you see lighter and shorter is capable if done correctly (there's a one liner in there somewhere...).  I intended on getting a longer barrel intially, but settled on this when i saw the wait times of the 22" and 24" barrels from the specific manufacturers i was considering.  Krieger chambered it to my bolt, had the barrel in stock (so only 8 business days from order and shipping of my bolt to them), all for $475 plus shipping.  Expectations low (it's how i roll with everything, means im never disappointed lol) but hopes high that i've got a shooter.

Russ

I don't want stir up this debate, considering the focus of this forum especially... but...  while 1000 yards with a .308 is certainly possible, you're going to be pushing it hard.  Hot loads, 175 grain projectiles.  Not cheap (compared to standard 308 loads) and you'll be pushing your components hard.  Range fatigue will be a consideration.

It's cool and all and I'll certainly push my .308's to 1000 yards - bolt and .308 AR platform.  For fun.  But honestly, if you want a good 1000+ yard performer, considering competition and such --in a .308 AR platform, the 6.5 Creedmoor could be a LOT of fun.

One more consideration specifically for me, which might be a consideration for others interested in long-range AR shooting; I also have a 6.5 Grendel (AR-15 platform and one of the best ways to get 1000+ yards out of an AR-15 platform).

The 6.5mm projectiles would be the same for the Creedmoor and Grendel.  ~120-140 grain.

Just giving you some other options to consider and  trying to muddy the waters further.

Thanks for the replies.

Oz, I have thought about another caliber, but that is one more caliber to buy for and to reload as i have numerous other 308 guns to feed so i buy in bulk when i can.

Miikedaddy, 19lbs is alot to carry and sub moa sounds good.

Russ, I have a dmps lr-308 in a 16" barrel as i was shooting it this morning off a  table and the stock collapsed on me and bringing the charging handle to my eyglasses, it was WTF. being the table had a v-rest for the handguard I had my left hand under the stock and my hand hit the slide release of the stock :eek:.

I have a lathe and bridgeport mill in my shop and  was thinking I can cut the barrel shorter and reprofile the barrel and/or flute it, but to what lenght and diameter/s without loosing any moa?

What brownells wants for the complete upper doesnt seem to bad for the price, so i am keeping my options open to more ideas.

Thanks Brent

Oz,

I agree with your evaluations of the 308.  The 6.5s definitely have the better BCs and can do more for cost.  I was only speaking to his questions, and what i have assembled.  I intend on two more uppers for my rifle, one in 6.5mm (prob a 260, possibly the Creedmoor) and one in 7mm (havent settled on anything here yet).  1000 yards won't be the majority of range time with what I have, but i do like to reach out sometimes, and intend on this gun being able.

Brent,  That sucks.  Your pride and skin and glasses healed up yet?  I have a fixed Magpul PRS.  I've seen that exact thing happen before, and it's why i only hold the magwell when i shoot a collapsible stock (i didn't until i saw that happen, and it looked like it hurt).  Obviously, skill will play a large factor, but I have some tentative rules I try to abide by.  I dont try to reach past 800 with an 18" barrel (usually less).  I've shot the old remington 700 308 tactical with the 20" barrel, and the velocity loss was enough that consistency at 1k became difficult with 165gr, but wasnt impossible or terribly unreasonable.  I've learned a lot since then, so Im going to try again with this gun.  24" gives you a bit more velocity, so can't hurt you at range, but will add weight.  You'll have to find that balance you're looking for.  If it were me, with the options you have to trim the barrel (make sure the crown is impeccable or it'll never shoot) I'd go with the longer barrel.  As far as fluting or diameters, I would suggest going to some of the barrel manufacturers websites (Krieger, Shilen, Hart, etc) and looking at the measurements on the contours, they usually have weights too, and get some ideas on how you wanna flute (hart does some crazy fluting lol) or turn down the profile to desired diameter.  The M110 contour I have balances extremely well, it's enough weight without being too much.

Russ

I've killed LOTS of animals with the .308 cartridge. From rabbits to bears. The giant benefit I found in the round is its vast range of bullet weight. From 77gr sabot to 220gr hand loads. You won't ever find that in those "designer" bullets.

If all I was interested in was killing paper, I guess a 6.5 would appeal to me. I am just more partial to the .30 cal bullet when it comes to putting lead to meat.

Rather go bigger, to the .338 Fed, than neuter the rifle to something smaller.

I've killed LOTS of animals with the .308 cartridge. From rabbits to bears.

I want pictures of the rabbit...  <lmao>  That furry little bastard couldn't have been more the a tiny red greasy stain, afterwards...  <laughs> :happydrunks:

MMMM 308 on rabbits, Growing up on a farm I nailed a jackrabbit from 300yrds with my M1A iron sights.

Oz, I am allright just need to get a new right lenses for my glasses <thumbsup> My 12yr old son just laughed at me and shook his head. I will have to get a magpul stock on order.

I was at a gun store yesterday morning and they had a dpms/308 with the 24" bull barrel and the weight wasnt that bad, Now my M1A super match is heavy. was going to pick up some primers but didnt want to pay $35/k plus tax. Went to another store and got them for $30/k with tax so i bought 5k