• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Im a little pissed at Armalite.

I just got my AR 10 A4 on 11/9/12, today I took it all a part and gave it a good cleaning and I found a couple of things that really pissed me off. I know most gun makers test fire there guns after there built to make sure they work properly. When I removed the bolt assembly from my rifle the face had little brass flakes all over it and the bolt carrier was also dirty inside.

The ejection port on the upper reciever by the shell deflector has a 1/4'' chip in the black finish, and the shell deflector has a rub mark were the brass shell case hit it, and the barrel was dirty from the rifle being fired.

I have read alot of good things about Armalite making a great product, and thats why I bought an Armalite AR 10, but if this is how they send there rifles out, then im not impressed with there quality control so far.

After a rifle is test fired it should be cleaned and re-inspected before its put in a box and shipped to a dealer.

Welcome to the forums! Sorry to hear that you weren't pleased with the state of your rifle when it arrived. Is this something you've discussed with Armalite? Being that they are a primary supporter of our forums here, I'm sure they would appreciate a chance to make amends if this isn't something you've already discussed with them.

He's correct, I have never received a rifle that was test fired cleaned afterwards. It's almost like a proof of firing. I think you'll forget all about it after your first range session

I have bought new guns in the past that were test fired, they were clean and came with the two empty shell casing that were fired in the gun.

Are you sure the FFL didn't fire it? Are you sure it was "NIB"? Most test fires are only 2 or 3 rounds. I can't imagine that would make the rifle all that dirty. There has to be some contributing factors.

The FFL I bought the rifle from had to order the rifle for me, it was in a sealed box and the dealer opened the box to get the serial number only, he did not fire the rifle.

The rifle was not filthy dirty, but it was dirty from being test fired, and it has a chip in the ejection port. I paid almost $1500 dollars for this rifle and for that price it should be clean and perfect, not dirty and chiped.

Maybe im making a big deal out of nothing, but it just doesn`t seem right to me.

Well , I'm not sure how to put this & not sound like an A$$Hole , but its going to get a lot dirtier when you put even just a hundred rd's through her & forget about any marks on the brass deflector , it will get much worse .

If its a safe queen & just for display , well that's some thing else . Make them repair it cosmetically .

Other wise ,just have fun shooting her.

Not being a smart a$$. Is this your first AR ? 

Maybe ive been lucky in the past in that every new rifle ive bought has been clean and unchiped, but either way I like this rifle and once I get it dressed out the way I want it, it will be even better.

What is the finish thats used on these rifles ?, what can I use to touch up the chip ?.

Maybe ive been lucky in the past in that every new rifle ive bought has been clean and unchiped, but either way I like this rifle and once I get it dressed out the way I want it, it will be even better.

What is the finish thats used on these rifles ?, what can I use to touch up the chip ?.

Don't bother unless you don't plan on shooting it, it'll just continue to chip at the same spot… I have started using duracoat finish on my rifles, but all finishes, duracoat, cerakote, it doesn't matter, will all wear some in a spot where it sees use.

It might be easier to offer a solution if you post a picture.

You should see how FN was shipping the SCAR. Picatinney's chewed up from accelerometer mounting during testing. Check this out.

For what a SCAR costs thats totally not acceptable, and shows what poor customer service the manufacture has in not fixing the problem.

I was looking over my AR 10 some more today and found another spot under the forward assist and below the charging handle were the finish is also missing. Im sure there are alot of people here that think im making a big deal out of this, but for what we pay for these rifles I would expect alot better.

I have a DPMS AR 15 that cost less than half of what this AR 10 cost, and the finish on it is a hundred times better. You would think it would be the other way around.

I will charge me digital camera and see if I can get some pictures.

Don't get me wrong, I love a flawless gun just as much as the next guy, but these rifles aren't really meant to be artwork, they're meant to serve as an implement of lethal force. It isn't going to be any less functional for a slight ding on the ejection port cover.

I think your perspective of Armalite will improve with every squeeze of the trigger, but you gotta get beyond the cosmetics to get there.

You are 100% right to be pissed at armalite. Them sending out a blemished weapon is unacceptable. Your dealer should have stepped up and handled this for you.

I can`t blame the dealer were I bought my rifle. He had to order the rifle for me because he was out of them. When I picked up the rifle it was still in the box the way he had recieved it. I picked the rifle up on friday 11/9/12 and didn`t get a chance to take it out of the box and look at it until saturday night. I will call my dealer monday or tuesday and see what if anything he can do to resolve this problem.

Don't get me wrong, I love a flawless gun just as much as the next guy, but these rifles aren't really meant to be artwork, they're meant to serve as an implement of lethal force. It isn't going to be any less functional for a slight ding on the ejection port cover.

I think your perspective of Armalite will improve with every squeeze of the trigger, but you gotta get beyond the cosmetics to get there.

If my cheapo psa ar15 can come in new with no marks on it. A high dollar high end weapon should come in the same way. He should be the one to put the wear marks on it not the oem manf. If it were a car or even a washing machine he would get a discount. I guess its all about perspective though. I know I would be unhappy about the whole deal.

I won't pretend that I don't have high expectations for that kind of money spent myself, but at the same time I just can't see what's being lost here unless the rifle was bought just for the sake of being pretty. Yes, a ding fresh from the factory isn't sunshine and rainbows, but in the total scale of things it's not really this big of a deal either. This is all compounded by the fact that Armalite hasn't had a chance to respond yet.

What Remington/Freedom Group/Cerberus did with Marlin leverguns after purchasing them, making a move unteneble for all the long-term employees, and then starting production in Ilion, is unbelievable.

Starting almost immediately after moving production people were posting photos of rifles NIB with front sights fallen off and un-/improperly tapped screw holes, mismatched stocks, correct serial numbers but the rifle identified wrong on the box, bolts that wouldn't close all the way.  The FG exec in charge of the fiasco was canned.

When I got the 20" RRA, after I'd had it a bit but not shot it, I noticed a little speck of unfinished metal on top of the FA housing.  No idea if it was there or I didn't notice it.

Stuff can be irritating from the factory.

Before Marlin was purchased/moved, I was blessed to get a newly introduced 1894CSS .357 Magnum.  Perfect condition.  Went to the county range.  Crap happens, nobody to blame, but it got knocked off the rifle rack there and not only HIT the concrete, but bounced and rattled like a quarter coming to a stop from spinning.

The whole range got quiet, I picked it up to see a scuffed receiver top with bits of concrete grit still stuck to the metal.  Loudly said "Well, at least I don't have to worry about scuffing it up anymore!" and everyone went back to shooting.

Still better to have a hand in it than get it from the factory that way.

Jon