• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Greetings From California

UnlockedShooter1218

Hello All,

I figured i needed to get my a$$ in gear and get my ar 15 and ar 10 in order before things change for the worse in CA.  I have purchased a CMMG stripped lower,  CMMG Mk3 stage 2 Trigger, Hogue Grip and i am still deciding on the stock.  I purchased a DPMS oracle 16" upper that, in the future, i plan to put a CHF barrel on.  I have my lower almost finished with the exception of the Take Down and Pivot Pin.  Does anyone have any tricks or tips on how to install the take down pin?  Also, can you tell me what magazines will work with my upper/lower combination?

Thank you all in advance for your help!

UnlockedShooter1218

(i will post pictures once i can get it all together!)

I don't know if the CMMG is different than the others, doesn't the takedown detent and spring install just like the selector detent and spring? I find that for the pivot pin detent and spring, I install a pin of the same dia. from the left side, put the spring and detent in the hole, hold them in place with a razor blade, and then push the pin in far enough (from the left side) to hold the detent and spring in the hole, then you just take your pivot pin and push it in from the right side, which pushes the other pin out the left side and captures the detent and spring

Welcome from AZ.

I agree with what was said above. My advice is to have extra detents and springs because after they bounce off a couple of walls they are lost.

(Hint) The tip of a pocket knife blade will aid in the seating of the pin by holding the detent & spring in place.

I have a number of different .308 AR lowers on hand (none of them CMMG). All of mine with the exception of the Kaiser receiver, install the spring and detent for the takedown pins, from the bottom, in the same manner that the selector spring and detent are installed. if your CMMG is the same, you flip the receiver over so the holes to accept the springs/detnts are facing up, you install the pivot pin and selector into the side of the receiver, you drop the detents and springs into their respective holes, and then,  press the pistol grip onto the mounting tang of the receiver, being sure to align the selector spring so that it goes into the hole in the grip, and being carful not to bend the springs, but to compress them into the holes. On my Kaiser receiver the takedown pin detent and spring install from the back like they do on an AR 15, but the bore for the spring is threaded and takes a set screw.

Welcome to our little world. I'm also a CA resident (NorCal). If you have any questions about the "do's and don'ts" shoot me a PM and I'll give ya a straight answer.

Reading the above, Jgun looks like he's right in the mark. Take off the pistol grip and install the takedown spring from there. Jguns plan for the pivot pin works well too.

Have you researched what you can and cannot do in Kalifornia?  That's GOTTA be the first step here, man.

This is your intro thread - fire off technical questions in one of the tech sections.  Welcome aboard.  <thumbsup>

Hey unlocked, reason I said that was - good tech info will get lost in the Intro section.  If it's in the right (rifle) tech section, people that hit those sections will always see it.  <thumbsup>  You'll have responses to your (long ago answered) questions two years down the road...  <laughs>

Wasn't trying to bring you down, man, if it seemed that way.  ;D

98Z5V

No worries, I did not think you were bringing me down.  I figured you were just steering me to the correct thread on my muzzle brake question <thumbsup>

98Z5V & Robocop1051

i have been asking around at a local gun shop near my house. they have instructed me on the do's and dont's when i ask the quesitons.  but iwill send you PM Robocop and any info you can give me will be greatly appreciated.