• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New Meat...Need Hardware!

txkillerbee

Greetings from the last bastion of personal liberty and freedom...TEXAS!  I am another one of your active duty military types serving to protect everyone's (including nasty pelousy) 2nd amendment rights.  I need to make bigger holes in the wild pigs I shoot, those rascals keep getting bigger!  Can't find any 308 hardware online, would like to start w/ a upper and lower.  Have a mega u/l on back order at JSE, who knows when that will fill.  Any help on locating hardware would be appreciated! :sniper:

You're into this at a bad time, bee.  I wish you all the luck in the world, right now.  If you find something desirable, post up quick if you have questions, but...

You better just get it anyway.  Find out about it later.  Something is better than nothing, right now.  If you find an upgrade to something you have, or something that doesn't meet muster, then you're not going to have a problem selling old parts or components, that's for sure.

Welcome aboard, man.  Start shopping for anything you can find, in reality.  <thumbsup>

welcome to the forums, even just lurking you will learn a lot, just about everything has be asked before and search is your friend, but we wont yell at you if you ask first, or if like me your search-fu is not what it should be.

just one question for ya.  If Texas is "the last bastion of personal liberty and freedom," why cant you all open cary?

That is a good question, I hoped for it for a while, but am concerned with my carry weapon being visible, it gives bad people ideas, and there is always a bigger chance of it getting taken away when it is exposed. It would really suck to get shot with my own gun!

IMHO, that is a theory that holds no weight.

If you are armed, and you open carry, then you are definitely exercising your 2A rights - "use it or lose it" is no joke, as we are seeing, right now.  If more people would open carry, and more places allowed open carry, crime in this country would plummet.

If you carry a firearm, you better know how to use it.  Attending some class once, or shooting until you feel comfortable with your weapon - that's not enough.  You need to constantly train.  Constantly.  When you stop training, you stop learning.  Your skills start to weaken the moment you stop training, and in some things, that decline starts happening daily.

I have ZERO fear of some shithead taking my own firearm from me, unless I'm out of ammo, and pretty physically incapacitated.  I have ZERO fear of MULTIPLE SHITHEADS taking my firearms from me - unless I'm out of ammo, and pretty physically incapacitated.  "If I'm out of ammo" still doesn't mean they can take it from me, also.  That involves continual training in more than one aspect.

The whole notion of "if I open carry, I'm a target" holds no weight.  The proper mentality, which you should be able to back up, is "If I open carry, I will be an anti-target, and shitbags will definitely avoid me..."

That's my humble opinion, take no personal offense, as that's not the way it's intended...

I echo Tom's sentiment. My own opinion about open carry is changing. This country is in the process of teaching people to be subservient to their fear. I for one want to do my part to recreate a culture in this country that understands that there are good guys with guns too, and they're not all behind badges or uniforms, they are everyday people who CAN AND WILL DO WHAT IT TAKES to put the good guys back up at the top of the food chain. That's my $.02.

No worries, no offense taken. I stay very familiar as far as safe handling, loading, unloading, and clearing jams, as well as shooting but definitely lack the type of training you are talking about (you could probably tell this by my lack of confidence concerning open carry). I am in the process of researching training in my area to see what is available. I am located halfway between Austin and Houston, does anyone have any suggestions or experiences with any training facility in this area?

No charge.

Steven routinely posts about BAD guys losing retention of THEIR own firearm, and having the former VICTIM use it against the bad guy.

Why all this mythology surrounding bad guys taking your weapon and using it against you came about, was from a few (literally a few) law enforcement losing their sidearms and getting shot by truly evil mamba jambas.  From this we got level I, II, and III retention holsters, S&W's stupid fricken' magazine disconnect safties (on what Col. Cooper called crunchentickers), and relaxed ROE for shooting suspects (rather than having to wrestle with an amped up meth head).

Overlooked by those touting the claim that "If you carry a gun (sic) it is more likely to be used against you," is that law enforcement are required by their job to sometimes engage people who are irate/upset/drugged with physical force (opposed to deadly force).  Grappling is part of the routine.  The attempt at avoiding using deadly force has also led to the advent of mace/pepper spray and Tasers being commonly issued to law enforcement. 

The general public is not...your job is to live through an unexpected encounter (opposed to living through one to which you were dispatched).  Our number one priority is avoidance...awareness level yellow at all times, pay attention to your surroundings and listen to that little voice...God put it there for a reason.

That being said, how do you train?  By standing behind a redline, carefully aligning the sights and squeeeeezing the trigger?  Or escalating force-on-force with shoot/no-shoot possibilities?  Can YOU access your pistol/knife/other OPW (On Person Weapon) with both hands?  Can you access THEIR weapons?

I'm hoping for the day when loaded rifles slung over the shoulder to even get a second glance.

Jon

Steve's a good guy.  While formally retired, he will give anyone advice that contacts him.

I was drawn initially to his writings for his stance on point-shooting.  The crap lots of people teach about "If you're stressed out don't worry about a perfect sight picture, just focus on the front sight," is just that...crap.  Even doing Airsoft force-on-force a person will see they are focused on the threat and the front sight doesn't even enter their mind.

Plus he has dredged up lots on Fairbain & Sykes.  Those dudes were some bad ASS old dudes!

Jon

I am in the process of researching training in my area to see what is available. I am located halfway between Austin and Houston, does anyone have any suggestions or experiences with any training facility in this area?

I don't know of anything that far out of town, but I'll look around.  Where I train, the advanced adults work on firearms defenses sometimes such as defeating the actions of pistols and revolvers, etc.  I'm going to introduce a new curriculum this year on firearms retention.  Almost all of our instructors are licensed to carry and we stay firearms aware in our training.

Good luck finding a training center, I'll ask around about your area.