• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Bolt carrier groups

Powerman

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, keep in mind, if you have to use a forward assist on a .308, you have  problems and should stop shooting immediately! Buying a BCG without one will not affect you rifle with a forward assist on it, you just won't be able to use it.

I realized I had a follow up question on this. Since the upper is set up to have a forward assist, if you are ending up with a BCG that doesn't have it (which I can't really tell from the description of the harris tactical one from what I know) what do you do with the hole if you bought a stripped upper?

Go to Mcmaster-Carr website and check out the "Round Finishing Plugs for Tubing" you can only buy a 100 piece pack, but the pack is only $7.00. you could sell the extras for $7.00 each considering the market. As long as you put AR in the discription people will pony up for them, It will also allow you 2-3 weeks to ship them, Ha Ha... You may be able to find them at your local hardware store, or a local industrial supply warehouse, if you have one.

the other option is to put in the intended parts just for looks, but you will spend $40 plus for it.

Go to Mcmaster-Carr website and check out the "Round Finishing Plugs for Tubing" you can only buy a 100 piece pack, but the pack is only $7.00. you could sell the extras for $7.00 each considering the market. As long as you put AR in the discription people will pony up for them, It will also allow you 2-3 weeks to ship them, Ha Ha... You may be able to find them at your local hardware store, or a local industrial supply warehouse, if you have one.

the other option is to put in the intended parts just for looks, but you will spend $40 plus for it.

so i'm guessing from the $7 number that the particular one is the 5/8 OD one? don't have a FA here to measure, or even have the upper.

I realized I had a follow up question on this. Since the upper is set up to have a forward assist, if you are ending up with a BCG that doesn't have it (which I can't really tell from the description of the harris tactical one from what I know) what do you do with the hole if you bought a stripped upper?

Tom (98z5v) had posted earlier in the thread on this, and I trust him 100% on all his info! But I would say you can install one and not use it, use it, or the plug you found will work.

You guys are getting all wrapped around the axle about your BCG having serrations or not.  Forward Assist works on 308 ARs, regardless of serrations, no serrations, whatever.  Here's what I put up on the previous page:

Forward assist works on 308 ARs.  It doesn't ratchet the BCG down the upper receiver like the AR-15 does, but it catches the shoulder on the BCG and locks it into battery.  It would be the equivalent of the "last click" of a forward assist on the AR-15.

It works on all DPMS and Armalite patterned 308s, notches, serrations, smooth doesn't matter.  I can't vouch for the RRA guns.

Hi guys. I'm in the same boat as most, I need a DPMS BCG to complete my build. It's like trying to find the holy grail or something. I put myself on the Harris Tactical wait list but I'm on the fence about it. I don't know anyone who has had one thru them or if they truly are magnetic partical inspected or just stamped such? I added the link below.

http://www.harristacticalonline.com/308-762x51-Nickel-Boron-Complete-Bolt-Carrier-Group-NIB-X-FA-HT-NB-308.htm

All ready for the range. Was expecting to be their and back by now, to report on the bolt  testing, but I was delayed at the vet when we had to discuss treatment for a cancer diagnosis. Just put down my Yellow lab in December with liver cancer. This sucks!!!

Sorry for your loss brother. Pets are hard to lose, can easily get just as attached to most of them as a human.

Thanx, Matt

On a good note, the bolt worked great and the rifle functioned great through 50 rounds except for a weak ejection, but I have a good idea what needs to be done for that. shot the attached 5 shot group at 100 after I shot about 25 rounds function testing and sighting her in. Took the Vortex off my 6.5 Grendel, slapped it on the .308 and it was within 8" at 100. Back to the range tomorrow to see if I can get a group without a flyer, or was it just a poor shot on my part???  Bottom line is the bolt is in as new condition and I will consider it a success for now. still need to put at least 250 rounds on it and then destruction test it to check the inner structure of the steel.

post-2747-136297289424_thumb.jpg

post-2747-136297289424_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This is the reply from Chris at SI. Still a ways out it seems.

Great to hear that, the cost of the 308 bolt carrier group is $310.00.  We will be taking orders for these when we get closer to production.  Feel free to contact us in about six weeks to check on status.

Chris Baldwin

SI Defense Manager

or he sold out on what he expected to come in on this first shipment. hopefully shipping soon though

nope, i'm wrong, he got them in

179291_439451669464622_579581907_n.jpg

Droool.

Unfortunately for me, I tried to order  BCG from JP a couple months ago.  It said it was in stock, but apparently it was not.  I never backordered though, but I guess they assumed I did...

So now it looks like I have 2 BCGs on the way, which one will be better?  I'm thinking the JP one since I will have an adjustable gas block.  Maybe I should just build a second rifle?